Marmot Problem?

I remember marmots were a problem with cars when we lived in Ophir, Co. The little bastards. It was a good thing my husky loved to keep the population down around our house. I hardly had to feed her.

LOL!!! Looks like that car is wearing a big diaper!

I did a short backpack there several years ago. I put a ring of chicken-wire around the Jeep after similar warnings. I was fine along with everyone else I spoke with on that trip including several vehicles unprotected for several days. It seemed to be a non-urban urban legend. But... I've seen documented stories online showing it is a real concern (just don't know about the actual frequency.)

Although not in the Mineral King area, I was in Kings Canyon just 2 weeks ago and there were Marmots all over the place and not at all scared of us humans. The precautions shown in that pic do seem kinda crazy but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do!

I guess marmots don't like the taste of blue tarps? ;)

Can you say..... a job for the exterminator and a 22. :)

I remember the cars with chicken wire at Mineral King as well. Marmots are everywhere in the Sierra, especially over 8,000 ft. They will also chew their way into your tent so you're supposed to leave it open so they can get in and look around. One person I know did that and not only did a marmot crawl inside to check it out, he liked it so much he marked his territory. You just can't win.

Stan and I are celebrating our 9 year anniversary in the Eastern Sierra next week, I'm sure we'll have marmot encounters.

From our 1st anniversary campsite, just waiting to make his move:
Marmot.jpg

Last edited:
Same as:
Don't leave your keys out in Yellowstone, the Ravens take them...... but I talked to someone it happened too, left them on the hood, went to the back of the truck, came back to the front.......keys gone.

maybe they are like raccons, and can not see certian color wave lengths. for coons it you use a light bulb that shines in the Amber spectrum it deters them from coming in the areas the light hits cause they can not see in that color, so they avoid it. could be something simular with marmots... worth the research.

Same as:
Don't leave your keys out in Yellowstone, the Ravens take them...... but I talked to someone it happened too, left them on the hood, went to the back of the truck, came back to the front.......keys gone.

It happened to me in Coyote Gulch squirrels pulled all the stuff out of my pack and what they didn't haul off the Ravens carried away.

I am wondering if anyone has used moth balls to repel Marmots. I am headed out to Colorado next month, and I have read that Marmots don't like the scent of moth balls. I have also heard the same thing for coyote urine. Has anyone had any experience with either of these things?

I didn't know marmots were this precocious lol. They are just so cute and cuddly looking i can't image them being a problem ;)

I am wondering if anyone has used moth balls to repel Marmots. I am headed out to Colorado next month, and I have read that Marmots don't like the scent of moth balls. I have also heard the same thing for coyote urine. Has anyone had any experience with either of these things?

I've had a few co-workers and friends who put moth balls wrapped in dryer sheets behind each tire and couple extra near the engine compartment and other areas with hoses. No idea if it works or not since I have not yet stayed in a location where there were issues with marmots.