Lost Canyon & Squaw Canyon Loop

IntrepidXJ

ADVENTR
Saturday, May 5, 2012

The Original Trip Report on ADVENTR.CO

On Saturday morning I set out early to drive down to The Needles District of Canyonlands National Park. One of my goals for 2012 was to spend more time hiking and exploring in this amazing area. Unfortunately, because of circumstances earlier this year I was unable to make it down here until now, so I’m getting a later start than I had originally planned. Better late than never, I guess. I’ve still got plenty of time this year to return a few more times ;)

When I made it to the park I headed straight for the Squaw Flat Campground and started hiking the Lost Canyon and Squaw Canyon loop trail. It was a beautiful morning that was perfect for hiking. I made it to Lost Canyon in no time.

The well-used trail to Squaw Canyon, Lost Canyon and eventually Peekaboo.

Trail Ahead by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Crossing the sandstone of the Squaw - Lost Canyon Divide

Lost Canyon Divide by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Following the cairns.

Lost Canyon Trail by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

When I reached the bottom of the canyon, I decided to take a detour to try and find an old cowboy camp. It was a little tricky to find as there wasn't even a faint trail through the brush to reach it, but after a bit of searching I did manage to find it. There was a pretty good bushwhack involved to finally reach it. I even managed to find some faint rock art as I searched the nearby alcoves.

There were a lot of old and interesting cowboy camp relics found in this alcove.

Camp Kitchen by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Folger's Can by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Cuban Cigar Company by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Fruits by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Diamond Matches by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

MJB Coffee by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

A zig-zag design pictograph on the back of the alcove.

Zig-Zag Design by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

This was the oldest inscription I found as I searched the old camp. There were plenty of others from the first half of the 1900's.

Ellis Hatch by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Graffiti over some faint Barrier Canyon Style anthropomorphs.

Writing on the Wall by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

A closer look at the Barrier Canyon Style pictographs.

Very Faded BCS by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

A faded petroglyph I found as I searched the area for more rock art and historic relics.

Low Petroglyph by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

There was even an old hitching post still standing in one of the alcoves.

Hitchin' Post by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

After the detour to the cowboy camp, I continued my hike up Lost Canyon searching for ruins and rock art along the way. I managed to find a few of each.

I found a few white anthropomorphs, spirals and an interesting arc-shaped figure under a shallow overhang.

White Arc Alcove by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Spiral & Anthropomorphs by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

I even found some nicely-preserved ruins. There were actually three of these granaries next to each other, but the other two were in direct sunlight while this one was in the shade.

Small Door by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Near the ruins I found a few more pictographs.

Hands & Dots by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

I found the Yellowman nearby, too.

Yellowman & Hands by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

As I hiked further up canyon, the mosquitoes seemed to get progressively worse. Probably because there was a lot of standing water in the canyon. It was so bad in places that I couldn’t stop for a second or I would be swarmed...so I just kept moving. Shortly before climbing out of Lost Canyon, I ran into another little problem...somehow I had managed to drink all of the water in my CamelBak and I was just a little past the halfway point of the hike with about 4 miles left. I didn't think I drank that much water so far on the hike, but apparently I did? I brought the same amount of water I usually take on a day hike, and I almost always have plenty leftover at the end of the day, even when hiking in 90 degree weather...so I’m not sure what happened this time. I guess I was extra thirsty!

This is a side canyon of Lost Canyon that you hike up and then over the divide back into Squaw Canyon.

Lost Canyon Exit by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

On the divide again.

Divide by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

The last 4 miles back to the Jeep were a little tough under the sun with no water, but I managed to make it back. I stopped and rested in the sahde a few times on my way back. After the hike, I left the park to get some dinner and then find somewhere to camp. I originally planned to stop at the Needles Oupost to try one of their burgers since Marty has told me that they make one of the best burgers around, but unfortunately they close the kitchen at 4pm, so I was out of luck. I guess I would be having dinner in camp after all. I'll have to return another time for a burger.

I did make another stop at Newspaper Rock since I had a little free time before sunset.

Newspaper View by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Driving back to my campsite along Indian Creek.

Needles Road by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

I stayed up to try and photograph the Super Moon after the sun had set. There was a bright glow over the distant cliffs just before it rose.

Pre-Moon Glow by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

A close-up of the Super Moon.

Super Moon by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

When the moon was finally up, I headed right for bed. The day had been pretty exhausting and I was tired. Besides, I needed to get some sleep so I could continue exploring the area the next day!

>> Lost Canyon & Squaw Canyon Loop Photo Gallery

Featured image for slideshow:
slide.jpg

another great trip report of you :twothumbs:
I hiked parts of Lost Canyon last year on my way to Peekaboo camp and it's an area I definitely would love to explore in detail.
And your pictures again confirm that it's worth the trip.
I also love your moon shot :)

the lost canyon / squaw canyon loop is the only trail i've done in Needles district and i loved it. your pictures of some of the treasures i managed to miss along the way makes me want to go back sooner than later.
great TR!

Beautiful country. My first instinct is: "must go to there, now!" Then I remember that I have a heeler that would bite me if I ever kennelled her. Anyone have any ideas about how to disguise a dog as a small, hairy child?