Long distance backpacking

Nick

-
I'm thinking I'd like to shift the kind of trips I take from multiple 2-3 nighters to a 1 week+ trips and just do less of them. I know there aren't a ton of people on the board with a lot of long distance backpacking under their belt. But from those that do, do you have any tips or advice on how to prepare for it? I feel physically ready now, I'm no longer getting sore or stiff after trips, even after 40 miles in The Maze, 3,000 feet up to Blanche and back or the West Rim + Subway back to back. So I feel ready in the endurance dept. But I realize there are other concerns that I'm probably not thinking about when it comes to week+ trips. Chafing for example... I'm usually getting pretty worn down by 4 days. How do you go for weeks? What else am I clueless about?

Jammer and Dan Ransom should know a bit about this... anyone else?

my only advice is to not get in the car and drive 5 hours after you wrap it up- that's when my soreness sets in. If I get one night's good sleep after 30-40 miles of hiking in a weekend, I'm ready to rock. And I'm fat and lazy.

Do you chafe on 4 day trips? You can carry body-glide or something of that nature. Some people even carry vick's vapor rub for it. Best thing for chafing is make sure you keep your skin dry and clean, which can be a challenge.

The key to long distance stuff is to work up to it. You can't just come out of the gate doing 10 days straight of 20 miles. You have to build up to it. Alot of folks will alternate big/small days, somewhere like 15/8. I also like to have a rest day once a week.

But really, everyone is different. Just gotta get out there for a long trip and see how you do.

I have done a few 80+ mile trips (mainly in the Sierras), my advice would be to pace yourself, do a minimum amount per day, with no layovers. When i would have a layover for a day, the next day was always hell. The weight on my hips and joints was always a problem on a long trip regardless of what I did. I was in good shape back then too. My $.02.
Greg

Dan has great advice: start small and work into it... and just get out there and see how you do!

My additions: I find that Day 3 or 4 is always a killer for me -- so I try to plan accordingly now. Once past that I get a good second wind. I've also learned to try and make Day 1 short -- not because of fatigue so much as I tend to always be late w/ last-minute organization, permits, etc. I like to start a trip in the early afternoon if possible.

Also... Take care of your feet! I really thought I did on my last hike, but alas I didn't take enough care for a blister. Minimize walking with wet socks (I love neoprene while in water) and address any hot spots early. I tend to always get a blister (or three), but with proper treatment they will usually just callous over in a few days.

And... know your pace across different types of terrain. I'm guessing you already know this, but 15 miles through the MAZE is so much harder than 15 miles along a trail in the mountains. Water availability will also greatly impact one's speed.

Lastly... know what you like and don't feel the need to race for mileage or bag peaks or other "trophies" (unless you decide that IS what you like!) I find that I'm different than many other hikers in that I hate hiking in the early morning, but instead will hike until sundown almost every day. Also, I don't stop for a big lunch, but instead take several snack breaks throughout the day. And lastly, I try to never be in too much of a hurry to do side-hikes or go out of the way a bit to get a better view and take the time to take pics/video. Same goes for gear. I try to go as light as possible, but there are some items that I just refuse to give up because I'm happier with them.

One more thing... learn how to get and be ok with taking time "off". When I started planning my first 3-week outing, it was a tough sale for the boss as well my girlfriend. BUT, I've learned to make the most out the time before/after my trips to make it ok on both fronts.

Good luck!

- Jamal