Llewellyn Gulch, Escalante

Nick

-
This is the first in a 3-part trip report from my backpacking trip through Llewellyn Gulch & Cottonwood Gulch in March 2013.

Part 1: Llewellyn Gulch
Part 2: Dos Tinajas
Part 3: Cottonwood Gulch

My stokeometer was off the charts leading into this trip. Nearly 4 months of little-to-no physical activity because of knee surgery had left my body weak, but my mind was starving for wilderness and this seemed like the perfect cure. To add to the stoke, it had been nearly two years since Taylor and I had backpacked together so I was excited to get out with an old friend. He's been living up in Logan going to school so it's been tough to get anything scheduled. It was Taylor who took me out on my first real backpack trip here in the Escalante almost exactly 10 years earlier. Just like old times!

We snuck out of town early on Wednesday and made it pretty far down Hole in the Rock Road before setting up camp just before dark. We had a pretty rowdy night around the fire which meant for a late, but very scenic start the next day.
llewellyn-gulch-escalante-1.jpg

After loading up our packs, we continued down Hole in the Rock Road to a small spur road where we parked my truck and started overland towards Fifty Mile Point. It was immediately clear how few people head out this way. We eventually found a faint cattle trail which we followed for about 2.4 miles to our drop in point at the top of South Fork Llewellyn Gulch.
llewellyn-gulch-escalante-3.jpg

The route we would be following on this trip is detailed in Steve Allen's Canyoneering 3 in Hike #27.

South Fork Llewellyn Gulch. Easily identified by the spring and troughs built into the wash where the trail meets it. This is the 3rd or 4th significant drainage that the cattle trail we were on skirts around. I've heard the North Fork is also very nice to descend but requires rappelling. We were anticipating some semi-technical canyoneering in South Fork but did not pack full technical gear.
llewellyn-gulch-escalante-5.jpg

In only a few minutes the canyon starts cutting into the Navajo Sandstone with little climbs and obstacles here and there.
llewellyn-gulch-escalante-6.jpg

The shallow upper slot was quite beautiful.
llewellyn-gulch-escalante-7.jpg

This was the first drop that we employed our handline. It was just a slightly awkward and exposed downclimb off the first drop for the first person. Easy to spot the rest though.
llewellyn-gulch-escalante-8.jpg

Soon after that we arrived at the biggest drop in South Fork Llewellyn. As I approached I saw some old webbing tied around an arch and started to wonder if I had made a mistake not packing the rope and harness. From the top of the chokestone, it looked like at least 20 feet down and pretty spicy. We rigged the handline into the existing webbing and I took a closer look.

I noticed a bit of a ledge down through an opening next to the chokestone so I climbed down onto it to get a better look at the rest of the climb. Going down!
llewellyn-gulch-escalante-9.jpg

Looking down from the small ledge. Once here, it's actually a pretty easy down climb, especially with the handline to get down a little lower where you can get under the chokestone. In retrospect I probably would have brought a little longer handline but it worked out fine.
llewellyn-gulch-escalante-10.jpg

Looking back up at the drop. I'm including lots of photos so people who aren't so comfortable with this kind of thing know what to expect. At least one member of any group heading down this canyon should be comfortable climbing up and down this kind of thing unprotected and the rest should be okay with handlining this kind of obstacle.
llewellyn-gulch-escalante-11.jpg

llewellyn-gulch-escalante-12.jpg

After that big drop, the slot went crazy. The colors were unreal in there. Reds, pinks, purples, peaches and white. Sometimes swirling, sometimes embedded with moki marbles, always exceptionally beautiful.
llewellyn-gulch-escalante-13.jpg

Handlining packs down another fairly large drop. This one looked pretty bad but it was leaned back enough that you could just jam into that crack and slide.
llewellyn-gulch-escalante-14.jpg

Taylor starting down the big slide. Having plenty of downclimbing experience is very helpful in this canyon.
llewellyn-gulch-escalante-15.jpg

We were continually blown away by what we found around each bend.
llewellyn-gulch-escalante-17.jpg

llewellyn-gulch-escalante-19.jpg

There were a lot of smaller but rather awkward downclimbs like this one. Sometimes we had to get out the handline, sometimes we didn't.
llewellyn-gulch-escalante-20.jpg

llewellyn-gulch-escalante-22.jpg

llewellyn-gulch-escalante-23.jpg

llewellyn-gulch-escalante-24.jpg

Another big drop. This one looked really sketchy at first but it was cake once you started lowering yourself down through a wormhole under the house-sized boulder.
llewellyn-gulch-escalante-.jpg

It seemed like that slot went on for days. It relents a tiny bit here and there but for the most part it's solid narrows for several miles until the confluence with the north fork.
llewellyn-gulch-escalante-25.jpg

Right after the confluence water starts flowing and the canyon opens up a bit. Classic Escalante.
llewellyn-gulch-escalante-26.jpg

Taylor's chacos were pretty rough on his feet that day so we decided to setup camp near the exit route we would take the next day and just day hike further down the canyon. After hiking lower the next day, we were glad we camped here, it was one of the best spots in the canyon.
llewellyn-gulch-escalante-28.jpg

We had a mellow night out on the tarp. The weather was warm and the wind was calm. It was amazing to be out there again knowing we wouldn't be heading back for days.

The next morning we slept in pretty late again. We got our bags packed up and then left them near the exit and went on a stroll down canyon. It was well worth the time.
llewellyn-gulch-escalante-29.jpg

The light wasn't great but the scenery made up for it.
llewellyn-gulch-escalante-30.jpg

llewellyn-gulch-escalante-31.jpg

A choke point in the canyon made for a nice swim. This was avoidable but we didn't feel like backtracking to get around it.
llewellyn-gulch-escalante-32.jpg

A little further down we ran into some beaver dams at around the full pool elevation of Lake Powell. The sight of the dams made me not that stoked to see the lake so we decided to save our energy and head back to our packs so we could move on to the next camp.
llewellyn-gulch-escalante-34.jpg

On the way back up canyon, we found a very faint trail up on a bench that we followed back.
llewellyn-gulch-escalante-36.jpg

We found some nice rock art along the way. There was much more on this panel but it didn't photograph particularly well.
llewellyn-gulch-escalante-35.jpg

We made it back to our packs around noon and began the steep climb out onto the slickrock.
llewellyn-gulch-escalante-38.jpg

To be continued....

Part 1: Llewellyn Gulch
Part 2: Dos Tinajas
Part 3: Cottonwood Gulch

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 901
Last edited:
Wow! Great place. Great trip! For your season opener too. And you got to wear shorts. Gives me itchy walking feet.

Too be continued ?!?! What is this - a ploy to get multiple entries into the monthly sleeping bag drawing by breaking a trip report into 4,5 or 6 trip reports ? :facepalm: I don't know what the community is going to do about this... :)

Too be continued ?!?! What is this - a ploy to get multiple entries into the monthly sleeping bag drawing by breaking a trip report into 4,5 or 6 trip reports ? :facepalm: I don't know what the community is going to do about this... :)

Ha! I wonder how that would go over if I won the prize???? Haha! I take too many pictures to fit a 4-day backpack into one trip report! I'm thinking one for Llewellyn, one for the Slickrock wonderland and one for Cottonwood Gulch. What a trip...

This is too funny... I wouldn't begrudge you winning even if you game the system Nicholas - especially if you share such great pics. But look at poor xjblue on his traverse. He gets only one credit for his most excellent trip report even though he crammed all five days of his into one L O N G report with five separate posts. Just sayin'... (This is totally in jest of course, oh well-loved-admin...)

oh, man, am i glad i did not go in there on sunday as planned, as i would not have been prepared yet and two of my friends brought dogs out with them. it is definitely still on my to do list though.
I have been told that one can bypass the upper ends of the slots and come in between them & drop down rather easily where they fork as an alternative entrance.

we camped in the area and looked over the drainage. such amazing waves of slickrock hills out below 50 mile point!

oh, man, am i glad i did not go in there on sunday as planned, as i would not have been prepared yet and two of my friends brought dogs out with them. it is definitely still on my to do list though.
I have been told that one can bypass the upper ends of the slots and come in between them & drop down rather easily where they fork as an alternative entrance.

we camped in the area and looked over the drainage. such amazing waves of slickrock hills out below 50 mile point!

I saw several spots that looked like you could get in or out throughout the narrows but I would never dream of bypassing them - that's the best part! :) It's doable with dogs but they'd have to be the right dogs, IMO. Willing to get assisted down the drops and definitely wearing a harness or really sturdy backpack to help them. Having three humans available would also make the dog shuttling easier on the bigger drop. moose droppings said he has done it with young kids and a dog no problem but I also think his level of awesomeness may exceed average. I guess it's all about a good system of helping them down through the obstacles though.

Did you by chance scope out the entry/exit at the bell rock because I've heard mixed things about the exposure there. I had this one all mapped out for a day hike awhile back but it ended up being really hot that day so we ended up lounging and swimming in Powell.

Did you by chance scope out the entry/exit at the bell rock because I've heard mixed things about the exposure there. I had this one all mapped out for a day hike awhile back but it ended up being really hot that day so we ended up lounging and swimming in Powell.

I'm not sure what that is. I read in Steve Allen's book that there is an exit out the north side of the canyon down canyon from the exit we used that is 5.4, 100' with 'horrendous exposure'. Is that the bell rock route? I forgot to look for it but I don't remember seeing anything that looked exit like. I'll look through my pics though, maybe I took a photo of it without knowing. FWIW, If you were day hiking, it wouldn't be too bad to take the normal exit and then just b-line back to the head of it from up on the bench. It's relatively easy hiking on that bench from the exit towards Fifty Mile, not so easy from the exit towards Powell. Once back at the head of south fork it's 2.4 miles back to Hole in the Rock Road on the cattle trail.

its here http://goo.gl/maps/LNJBC

I think MK is the one who refers to it as the bell rock in his non-tech guide.

This is posted on americansouthwest.net
"An alternative way back is to leave the main gorge by the start of the stream, where a side canyon joins from the north - the cliffs on the left side offer a route to the plateau above. The canyon itself can't be used as it ends in a very narrow vertical pour-off. Using Fiftymile Point as a guide, the starting point for the hike is reached again after about one hour walking across the slickrock."

I'm just curious if you noticed because I've been wanting to pack down Llewellyn for a while now.

I definitely remember seeing that side canyon. It ended in about a 20 foot totally impassable dryfall right into the main canyon. Didn't notice any routes around it but wasn't really looking.

nice nick. escalante goodness right there all wrapped up in an awesome TR.

Bell Rock drop-in right here: 37º14'19.81"N 110º56'12.55"W.
A hanging sidewalk/ledge that approaches from the ENE. it tapers off quite abit as you approach the moki steps. the distance between the ledge elevation and ground elevation decreases in a converging manner, the further along the traverse you are. the crux is an akward transition from the sidewalk/ledge-shuffle-position to the downclimb-moki step-position. the comfort level is inversely proportional to body size (smaller the better). Two steps down the lip is a rock stack, 7-9 foot drop, depends on rock pile height. done. move along the base as a spotter for the next in qeue is recommended. and assist at the downclimb. sand, rocks, and bushes to break your short should the leader fall at the crux. pack lowering for the bigger folks prior to traversing is also recommended.

Entry/Exit: 37º14'18.17"N 110º56'54.19"W
This is appears to be the most common exit. watched a guide lead some clients at the top-out. didnt get any visuals on his chosen line, obscured by trees. this short, but steep up-climb, zigzags between a couple/three vegitated ledges. 3-4 (5?) moves in the 4+/5.easy range. rock is somewhat weathered and coated with windblown sand, so sandy ledges and slabs are a hazard. my experience with this is up-climb only, with kids and dog of course.:D a bit intense for me, but manageable, nontheless. With respect to using this as an entry for a group outing, now way, not without gear. granted i picked what i thought was the easiest line out. could be an easier one lurking, i didnt see it. there is a sand hill at the base to break a person's fall if they do tumble down the slab while on entry or exit.

...and for those that fall under the mythical creature camp, according to Post #10, nick would have me stick a full-layout single-gainer from off the canyon rim, wearing a 50# pack, mind you. :D