Gear Review LifeProof Fre

Nick

-
LifeProof Fre Review
5-star-png.12914

My Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars
Price: $79.99 direct from LifeProof

My first thought when I was asked if I wanted to review a phone case was 'no way'. I've never been a fan of having a case on my device, even if it meant a few extra scratches along the way. But when I took a closer look at the LifeProof cases, I was a lot more interested. Total resilience to water, dirt, snow and drops makes it a pretty appealing product for someone who spends a lot of time in the outdoors such as myself, so I decided to give it a try.

My test unit was for the Galaxy S3 but it is also available for iPhone and now the S4.
lifeproof-fre-review-1.jpg
lifeproof-fre-review-2.jpg
lifeproof-fre-review-3.jpg

I was very impressed by the build quality of the case and how easy it is for the user to self-inspect and test it to make sure it's waterproof capabilities are not compromised. Each case is serial numbered and tested at the factory.

lifeproof-fre-review-4.jpg

lifeproof-fre-review-5.jpg

One of two openable ports on the case, the charging port and the headphone port.
lifeproof-fre-review-6.jpg

Amazingly, the camera, speakers and mic all work great when the case is on. Audio quality did not suffer at all on phone calls.

lifeproof-fre-review-7.jpg

I decided to test my case out. Testing is as simple as putting together the empty case and submerging.
lifeproof-fre-review-8.jpg

And now with my phone in the case.
lifeproof-fre-review-9.jpg

Works like a charm!
lifeproof-fre-review-10.jpg

I used the Fre for much of November as I was running around the state doing hikes for a work project and so I had a few opportunities to put it to the test. It performed flawlessly. The only time it cramped my style was when I needed to pull the battery out of my phone because it had locked up.

lifeproof-fre-review-12.jpg
lifeproof-fre-review-13.jpg
lifeproof-fre-review-14.jpg
lifeproof-fre-review-15.jpg

Any good gear review should highlight the good and bad of a product, so here goes the bad. It's a case! No matter how low profile they make it, it's more bulk on your phone and so a lot of people won't like that. I made a point to take my Fre on and off over the couple months I used it so I could feel the difference in my pocket and see whether I liked it or if I was just used to it. In the end, it really didn't bother me like I thought it would and the pros when in the backcountry far outweighed having a little extra bulk on my phone. LifeProof has a similar model called the Nuud that is still waterproof but has no plastic over the screen which I think I'll try next. Aside from that, I really found nothing I didn't like about the LifeProof Fre.

The plastic over the screen on the Fre performed well. I didn't notice any significant reduction in usability of my device. Using touch controls with water on the screen proved a little challenging as the screen would sometimes register water as a touch, but I'm not sure there's any way around that.

Conclusion: The LifeProof Fre has completely changed my opinion on phone cases. I just traded in my Galaxy S3 for an iPhone 5S and I'm already missing having it. I just spent 3 days backpacking the Boulder Mail Trail and I used my phone as a GPS unit throughout the trip. I couldn't stop thinking how much I needed to pickup another LifeProof case, especially as I was hopping through Death Hollow trying not to take a slip into the deep, cold water. The LifeProof Fre has converted me from a vehement case-hater to someone who will never hit the backcountry without one again.

Pros:
Completely Waterproof
Shockproof
Dustproof
Snowproof
Relatively low-profile/minimalist

Cons:
Not cheap, but you get what you pay for
It's a case!

Rating:
5-star-png.12914

My Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars
Price: $79.99 direct from LifeProof

More info on LifeProof's website.

NOTE: The LifeProof Fre case was provided to me at no charge by the manufacturer for the purpose of this review, but my opinion is entirely my own and not influenced by any third parties.

What quality of photos did your old phone take with the case on it?

Photo quality was great. I didn't do any underwater photos (wish I had), but here are a few from while I had the case on:

20131104_171012.jpg

20131101_170358.jpg

Including this one because it shows some crisp detail and you can see the case on the phone in the reflection. :)

20131111_121430.jpg

Perfect! Seems like a nice product... :)

Ive had a LifeProof case for my iPhone 4S for about a year and a half. I also got the belt clip - I really don't like my phone in my pocket. I've loved it! It's had way too many drops & falls that would have otherwise cracked the glass. Unfortunately I've got a history of destroying devices and the LifeProof case has changed my reputation.

One down side to it. The plastic lip around the front has peeled away in a few spots. I've been taking my phone out of the case a lot lately and this has resulted in the front plastic peeling away at the bottom. So, I'm waterproof no more.

My mother in law has had one for several years and she has never taken her phone out and it's in great shape.

Having said all that I would add my recommendation to @Nick and say if you have device that will go into the wild or if you're like me and are tough on your devices get this case. Once you do leave your device in the case and it will handle just about anything you can literally throw at it. ;)

Thanks for a fantastic tip. I`m on my 3rd galaxy S3 now , dropped one into an industrial dishwasher so it drowned and dropped the other one into a shallow river so the screen broke.
Just checked the cost of getting a LifeProof case sent to Norway.. 79.99 + 100 for postage compared to the cost of a new S3 which is 1050 USD over here !! Thats going to save me a hell of a lot of money so many thanks for that and keep up the good work :)

That's awesome, Ian. I'm trying out the LifeProof nuud right now and I like it even better than the fre, so far. Nothing between you and the glass so no scratch protection but it feels great. Enjoy!

Just thought I'd update this review with some experiences. First off, I really liked the LifeProof nuud better than the fre. I like being able to touch the glass directly. The nuud is also a nicer design, in my opinion. I kept it on my iPhone 5S on every water trip this year and even bought one for my iPad Mini that I use for navigation on my boat.

After a summer of keeping my iPhone safe and dry, I upgraded to an iPhone 6 Plus when it came out last month. I was going to order a new LifeProof nuud case for it but they still aren't available, they're listed as 'coming soon'. Wouldn't you know it, my first night out on the boat, it went swimming without me. I found it in 4 feet of water near the back of the boat. Even more sad, it is dead now and I'm waiting an undetermined amount of time to get a replacement via insurance. BTW, if you ever buy insurance for an iPhone, go with Apple Care+, NOT your carrier's insurance!

Anyway, here are a few pics and a video of my LifeProof-protected devices in action this year. I recommend their cases more than ever now and I will definitely be getting one for my 6 Plus whenever that happens to come. :(

Video shot under water with my iPhone 5S in the nuud case:

iPad Mini setup for navigation with the nuud case. I really dug this when out on the boat. It's basically the same setup as I use on the iPhone for hiking/backpacking. The nuud case with GPS Gaia app with cached CalTopo maps. I also use the Navionics app for on-water navigation now.
IMG_0059.jpg

BTW, I now have a LifeProof nuud for iPhone 5/5S for sale if anyone in the SLC area wants to come pick it up. I'll give you a killer deal, just shoot me a message.

Back