Krooked Kanyon

JamesM

Leaders aren't born. They're made.
I have been spending my free time discovering scenic places close to Cedar City that would make good adventure trips. I have found some great bouldering spots, some good camping and a bunch of interesting geological formations. Most importantly I have discovered a canyon. It is short but should be worth doing.

Krooked Kanyon is a 3AII according to the American Canyoneering Associations rating system. I have spent several hours seeking out this canyon and I am still looking for a suitable access point with little environmental impact. I would prefer not to have hoards of canyoneers destroying vegetation or sliding down shale hills. What I have discovered so far is a roughly 40’ rap going into the canyon if you desired a bigger thrill there is a 100’ cliff up the wash away, but it is basically an open gully no real canyon.

The 40’ rap leads you into a canyon; I have not been into the canyon due the ice conditions and me being under prepared. About mid canyon there is another unexplored canyon that comes into it. I can see this from up above but have not explored it yet. This section of the canyon exits a 15’ rap and a 6’ down climb.

You than walk downs a wash for a few hundred yards and you will enter another short slot there’s is about a 10’ down climb the middle section of this one has not been explored yet than a 20’ rap that drops you within 100’ of a road.

Once the icy conditions improve a couple friends and I will fully explore Krooked Kanyon. The video and beta will be released this spring once I have found a low impact approach

May your Trails be Krooked

Can't wait to hear more info about it. I think it's cool you're looking for first ascent opportunities.

Krooked Kanyon 3A I
There are 2 short slots by mile marker 3 up highway 14 in Cedar City. There is no easy access so you are on your own finding an entrance. I hiked up a steep shale mountain following a deer trail. I’m not going to lie this is not a great canyon, but if you are in Cedar City and have 2 hours to waste it’s something to do. The exit is a great place to park and it is in a wash on the left side of the road right after mile marker 3.
The canyon begins at 37°40'30.12"N 113° 0'36.41"W
The first rap is 15’ it overhangs a little.
Rap 2 is down climbable but we tied in as the rock is crumbly and we didn’t want to fall 10’
We built a dead man on the 3rd rap. The rap is about 25’. This is the best part of the canyon.
A 4’ down climb gets you out into the wash.
Follow the wash for a couple blocks and you hit the next section. There is 5’ down climb then a 30” rap out of the canyon. We rapped off a rock about 15 from the drop.
May your Trails be Krooked!!!

Very nice. Pretty cool to find new un-explored canyons. Are you officially calling this Krooked Kanyon?

I think we are going to officially call it that. We named it after my online shop. We predict that the canyon will not get much business much like the shop:) There is a section where the rock formation appears crooked so we thought it was fitting.​

Back