Keyhole Canyon - May, 2014

Howells Outdoors

Adventure is my middle name...actually it's Keith.
I haven't been able to get into Zion National Park for awhile to do a canyon in a while (busy with school, work and projects).

I got my chance to jump into Keyhole Canyon though!

This was one of the first time I set out to do a canyon to try and take my time and get some good photos in the slot canyon. I still rushed a bit and failed to take my nice tripod into the canyon, but I think I managed to get some good ones (The photo above is my favorite).

I quickly learned how hard it is to do a wet canyon with expensive camera gear. Chelsea was worried the whole time about our new camera; can't really blame her.

Here's a few from the beginning of the canyon:

There's a couple little down climbs in the first section of the canyon that made it fun to carry all my camera gear.

For those unfamiliar with Keyhole Canyon and canyoneering in general, Keyhole is rated 3BI on the ACA Canyon Rating. 3 because it requires technical gear (i.e. rope, wetsuits, etc.), B because it has water (lots of fun swimming across pools), and I because it is super short (could probably be half a Roman Numeral).

After getting through the first section of slot we dropped down the first rappel. It's a short 25 ft (?) fluted rappel into a pool; well, into a pool if you forget to swing to the left. This is where my camera and my expensive gear got interesting to handle.

I got across the pool just fine with my camera and gear raised above my head. Time to really invest in a nice waterproof camera bag. I've checked out the LowePro Dry Series, anyone had experience with those?

A short distance down from the first rappel is another downclimb into a pool of water, again my cameras life flashed before my wife's eyes (it was totally fine).

This pool is right above the 2nd rappel.

After the 2nd rappel the canyon is deep and walls are close. The light throughout here is awesome as you look up toward the rim of the canyon.

Most of the hike through the canyon is slanted. It's kind of annoying for the beginner canyoneer who tries to walk along the bottom of the canyon. If you get a few feet above the canyon floor you can walk almost straight up (just some friendly advice).

The photo above is not the same as the photo below. Chelsea just happens to be standing in the same position when I took these shots.

Light penetrates down the skinny slot to give brief moments of highlights. It's a gorgeous world in the canyons. I think I could get into caving because I love being down in the depths like this, but I feel cavers miss out on these amazing light displays (they have crystals though).

All too soon the canyon walls descend and you're left with a few pools before you're out of the deep. The warm water, despite being smelly, is inviting from the cold water of the dark canyon.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

That is beyond awesome! I'm taking my nieces there in less than 6 weeks and it'll be our first canyon. It is so much cooler than I expected! Fantastic pics, your camera obviously survived just fine. I use a regular dry bag for my camera, the kind you just stuff it in and roll it up and lock the top. For extra protection I usually rent a dry pack from Zion Adventure Co and put the first dry bag in that. It's $10/day, but maybe the best $10 insurance you'll ever get.

That is beyond awesome! I'm taking my nieces there in less than 6 weeks and it'll be our first canyon. It is so much cooler than I expected! Fantastic pics, your camera obviously survived just fine. I use a regular dry bag for my camera, the kind you just stuff it in and roll it up and lock the top. For extra protection I usually rent a dry pack from Zion Adventure Co and put the first dry bag in that. It's $10/day, but maybe the best $10 insurance you'll ever get.
I have just a regular dry bag...i was thinking something that was more accessible, but just as waterproof (probably not possible). when you're in and out of water in these canyons it gets really time consuming and annoying to take your gear in and out.

Haha. My experience is that I wish I could afford one! :) It looks amazing though. The only downside of course is that keeping the front of the lens clean enough to still get a good shot remains an issue. Not too hard to come up with a quick on and off for that though. I'd love to do some underwater/in water stuff with it.

I have just a regular dry bag...i was thinking something that was more accessible, but just as waterproof (probably not possible). when you're in and out of water in these canyons it gets really time consuming and annoying to take your gear in and out.

It is definitely a pain in the @$$ to get your camera in, and out, and in, etc. but the Outex cases start at $399 :frantic:

It is definitely a pain in the @$$ to get your camera in, and out, and in, etc. but the Outex cases start at $399 :frantic:
It just got so annoying! So I want something...that is way too expensive for me though...ugh...I guess it's just in and out of the dry bag til then.

wet canyons are an absolutely no go for my slr camera, I only bring a point and shoot. And even my expensive tripod stays safe outside a canyon. After I shredded one tripod I will never bring one again.
But great to see you doing it and show us the pictures.

Are you allowed to hike in from the exit for a few hundred feet and take pictures? That way I could avoid the deeper pools and also the technical part and it's more camera safe. :)

Are you allowed to hike in from the exit for a few hundred feet and take pictures? That way I could avoid the deeper pools and also the technical part and it's more camera safe. :)

If you have a permit, it shouldn't matter which way you came in. The times I've done Keyhole the pools toward the end have been the deepest though.

I'll add that tons of tourists do hike a bit up from the bottom (myself being one of those tourists). You just have to avoid those deep pools @Nick talked about.

I'll add that tons of tourists do hike a bit up from the bottom (myself being one of those tourists). You just have to avoid those deep pools @Nick talked about.

you mean the one after the last rap?
I know there was a long section of water at the exit, but this one was super nice. And right after the last rap when you come out of the pool there were nice canyon walls.
I would bring my S110 with the UW housing, but the sensor is not the best and the little one sucks in extreme contrast situations