Keg Knoll and Horseshoe Canyon

Yvonne

I lava it!!!
I'm considering to spend a few nights in that area during my month long trip and beside visiting Horseshoe Canyon I also want to see Colonnade Arch.
What else could be worth a visit while in that area?
And I guess Keg Knoll is the best spot to camp. Any other ideas?
For the Keg Knoll Camp, I just drive Keg Knoll Road to it's end?

There are some great sites out at the end of the Keg Knoll road. There are also some other excellent sites in the area that I'm not so willing to post to the whole wide world. Map sent via PM. ;)

Keg Knoll is a good spot for camping due to a bit of shelter, its close proximity to Colonnade Arch, and amazing views.

Other things to see in the area....
Moonshine Wash is the best slot around and much better then LWHC
We can get you cords for the sneak route and save you a long sand slot.

Caffin Ranch Geyser - Tyler and I camped there a few years ago. The camp really sucked but the old cars made for killer foregrounds for star trails and the sunrise at the Geyser was pretty awesome
http://summit42.com/wp/san-rafael-desert-2010/

Keg Knoll is a good spot for camping due to a bit of shelter, its close proximity to Colonnade Arch, and amazing views.

sounds good

Other things to see in the area....
Moonshine Wash is the best slot around and much better then LWHC
We can get you cords for the sneak route and save you a long sand slot.

Summit, I'm really interested in that route, because Moonshine is on my list for quite a while.
But I'm still wondering if Moonshine is doable for a solo hiker.
As far as there are a few scrambling sections where I don't need special equipment I'll be fine.
I need to check out your TR again.

Caffin Ranch Geyser - Tyler and I camped there a few years ago. The camp really sucked but the old cars made for killer foregrounds for star trails and the sunrise at the Geyser was pretty awesome
http://summit42.com/wp/san-rafael-desert-2010/

I guess this time I'll just visit the Geyser during daytime, but one day it's due for a night session :)

Moonshine should be very doable for a solo hiker. There are a few scrambles that I remember being bigger when I visited it the second time, but I wouldn't hesitate to go back and solo hike that canyon on my own. They're pretty moderate up/downclimbs (8-10') if I remember right and you don't need any rappels.

Moonshine should be very doable for a solo hiker. There are a few scrambles that I remember being bigger when I visited it the second time, but I wouldn't hesitate to go back and solo hike that canyon on my own. They're pretty moderate up/downclimbs (8-10') if I remember right and you don't need any rappels.

I was there about a year ago and all the harder drops had been reamed out. It was pretty easy going with a bit of scrambling. We hauled ass to beat the fading light and made it to the bridge and back in an hour.