Kayak or Canoe?

Bringing back the thread from death. Looking to buy a used canoe(preferably Kevlar), mainly for recreational purposes but occasional trip down the river(like labyrinth canyon). Anyone have any pointers? Outfitters in Minnesota are clearing out used canoes but I've to pay 200-300 in shipping, plus dont get to actually see/try it before buying it. thx!

Seems like trying before buying is going to be a tall order anywhere in Utah unless you are looking to buy one of the models you can rent from REI, The U, etc. Probably better to rely on reviews and people's descriptions of characteristics of the various boats. After talking to @stevej2 on the Green this past fall, I'm pretty well sold on a Wenonah Kevlar model.

Ya I am leaning heavily towards getting a Wenonah kevlar, narrowed down to models like Boundary waters/Kingfisher.

Obviously the Tarpon was a good choice . . . it makes you look so much better than usual ;)

Ya I am leaning heavily towards getting a Wenonah kevlar, narrowed down to models like Boundary waters/Kingfisher.

There are so many options it can make your head spin. The models you are looking at are more for fishing/sport. The Boundary Waters can carry lots and has stability. This often means it lacks in performance and speed. A little more difficult to paddle longer distances because it is wider. The width gives you the stability. I have no clue on it's turning abilities. I think this boat would be difficult to solo due to width.
Kevlar: light but has it's issues. Some ultralight versions require wet exits. This means you should not beach the boat, stand in it and hop onto shore. You need to brace the boat before touching land, exit into the water, empty the boat and carry boat out of water. Here's video showing the way. They make it look easy.
http://piragisnorthwoodscompany.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-to-do-correct-wet-entry-and-wet.html
This is easier in a lake, more difficult in a river with a current.
However, I think Kevlar is the way to go unless you plan on running a lot of rivers and hitting rocks. Just beware of its fragility.

Ya I've done so much research lately on canoes, brands, materials, what not, watched tons of video including that one. :)
Initially I was leaning towards Boundary waters but now I am hesitant of its 17 feet length, coz most of the time I will be solo or solo with my dogs. Anyway its winter, so no hurry, plenty of time to find a decent one.

......Initially I was leaning towards Boundary waters but now I am hesitant of its 17 feet length, coz most of the time I will be solo or solo with my dogs. Anyway its winter, so no hurry, plenty of time to find a decent one.

I have paddled my 17' Wenonah Adirondack (tuff weave) solo as i posted a few posts before. Turned it around, added a few sand bags in the front and it handled great in a flat water river trip.