Gear Review Kamp-Rite Oversize TentCot

IntrepidXJ

ADVENTR
Here's a short review of a piece of gear that many here would probably have very little interest in, but I find it's a great piece of gear that I use all the time.

n069r660.jpg

A few years ago I picked up a Kamp-Rite Oversize Tentcot for when I am camping by myself out of my Jeep. I was looking for something that was very quick and easy to setup and this tentcot turned out to be exactly what I was looking for. I can have it setup in under a minute and it's great to be up off the ground and is also very comfortable. While you still want to find a piece of level ground to set it up on, it can be setup on rocky or other rough ground surfaces.

When the weather is nice, I usually keep all of the doors open and the screens closed to keep out the bugs. This gives it a nice open feeling when inside. There is also a rainfly that is included for wet weather.

n046r660.jpg

The oversize model is plenty long for someone my height (6'5") and the domed roof allows me to sit up inside.

Obviously there are a few drawbacks on a tent like this. The biggest one is the size. It folds up into a thrid of it's original size,which is still very large, so you'll need plenty of room in your vehicle to carry this one around. The other drawback is the weight. This tent is not light. I would not want to carry it too far from my Jeep.

IMG_3491.jpg

That said, this is the perfect tent for me when I am out exploring in my Jeep. I would highly recommend it for car camping if you will be alone and have the room in your vehicle to carry it.

Dry Fork Camp by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

I know I'm kind of a backpacking junky, but that thing looks awesome. Probably not enough room to let a dog or two hop up in there with you though, right?

I know I'm kind of a backpacking junky, but that thing looks awesome. Probably not enough room to let a dog or two hop up in there with you though, right?

I would say no....I usually have a duffel bag in there with me, but that's about it.

You need a setup like this guys!
DSC02220.JPG

The main reason I'm not a fan of the roof-top tent is because I like to keep my camp setup in the same location for a few days on occasion. I would prefer not to have to close it up every morning so I can use my Jeep during the day.

or any time you leave to shoot sunrise or sunset...
these setups do nothing for me.

The first time I came across those cot tents was from my friend Steve who had used them in the Air Force and he seemed to love them. I have been tempted to pick one up for car camping trips as well...

The main reason I'm not a fan of the roof-top tent is because I like to keep my camp setup in the same location for a few days on occasion. I would prefer not to have to close it up every morning so I can use my Jeep during the day.
or any time you leave to shoot sunrise or sunset...
these setups do nothing for me.

I actually thought it looked goofy and was posting it as a joke! LOL! I agree with you guys, much better to have a camp you can leave setup and come back too!

Wow! That's pretty kick ass actually. I may have to get one. I've been looking at solutions for ambitious trips where base camping isn't an option, like the Four Corners trip I'd like to take this year, where I don't have to set up and break down a tent, air bed, and sleeping bag every day. This would make that so much less of hassle.

Looks like a great set up. Does the folded tent cot fit flat in the back of your Jeep unlimited? Thanks for the review.

Looks like a great set up. Does the folded tent cot fit flat in the back of your Jeep unlimited? Thanks for the review.

I've never tried since I have a metal storage box back there. I usually stand up upright behind the passenger seat and lean the seat back to hold it in place.

Thanks. That will work too. Plan to get the tent cot for use in my jk unlimited. Maybe I'll see you in Utah on of these days.

Back