Just moved to Boise, ID

Samuel Stone

So I'm a semi-noob... I troll the forum every now and again, but my wife and I just moved from Dallas, TX to Boise, ID. Quite the change, but oh-so welcomed. We both love the outdoors and I thought I'd reintroduced myself and see if there is anyone else from the area that knows of good spots to visit soon. We need a break from unpacking, lol.

I'd like to try my hand at snowshoeing this winter. Perhaps a day trip. This summer though a 5 day to week long backpacking trip would be prime.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

When things thaw out you'll certainly want to visit the Stanley Lake area. It's a wonderland. If you're into snow you might want to go there now.

Sweet. I've heard good things about Redfish Lake and the surrounding area. Any tips on trails? Both for day hikes and multi day trips...

i think the Alice-Toxaway loop is the highlight in the Sawtooths, but that's just an easy overnighter, and there's a whole lot more to explore there.

I have plans to snowshoe on the Moon this weekend ;)... Craters of the Moon National Monument that is. I will let you know about the snow conditions. Great place to visit in the spring, fall and winter but the summer's can be a little rough.

If you just want to give snowshoeing a try before you buy BSU has a outdoor recreation rental center. You can rent shoes for $9.00 a day if your not a student or $6.00 if you are. Snowshoes aren't all they rent you can get everything from rafts to rock climbing gear. Also Idaho City just to the Northeast of Boise has a great yurt system you might be interested in. I believe there are five or six hurts you can rent. You might want to turn you snowshing trip into a fun overnighter. The few yurts you can rent around the Pocatello Idaho area have a supply of firewood and a propane stove inside. I'm not sure about the Idaho City yurts as I have never visited them. Most offer some pretty good backcountry skiing close by. You can also rent skis and avalanche safety equipment from the BSU recreation store or just drag a sled with your overnight gear and find a good sliegh hill. I swear I don't own stock in the BSU rental store its just a good place to try new things without investing a ton of money for a day or two of fun. Happy hiking....

Yurt system:
http://www.reserveamerica.com/campi...roundDetails.do?contractCode=ID&parkId=313011

BSU rental center:
http://rec.boisestate.edu/rental-shop/rental-equipment/

Haha! Sounds good! I'm all about testing the waters before I invest. $9/day is something I can live with.

I'm in Idaho Falls. You really have a lot of options. I came across a used book on Idaho trails a couple years ago. It is a good resource. I'll have to look up the title and post it. There are several out there. Between that and this site I've had a lot of information to use for trip planning. Make sure you post reports. I like new ideas and info. even if it's just a small/local trip.

Last edited:
i grew up abut 40 minutes west of Boise on the Idaho/Oregon boarder in a town called Parma (thus my name on here).
if you really want a cool experience head to the Owhyee Reservoir in Oregon and see the glory hole! When you come from a small town things like this are AMAZING!!!
and the fishing on the Owhyee river is pretty amazing too.

@pstm13 That'd be great! I've had good luck with trail guide books in the Weminuche wilderness area in Colorado. Come summer I'd like to find some secluded areas of the sawtooths to spend some time in.

@Parma I'm hoping to get down to the Owyhee Mountains soon to scout some wildlife. Someone in the area mentioned South Mountain... Is it worth it? Any other recommendations on some trails?

i grew up abut 40 minutes west of Boise on the Idaho/Oregon boarder in a town called Parma (thus my name on here).
if you really want a cool experience head to the Owhyee Reservoir in Oregon and see the glory hole! When you come from a small town things like this are AMAZING!!!
and the fishing on the Owhyee river is pretty amazing too.
@Parma, all this time I thought you were from my home town of Parma, Ohio! Or, maybe, Parma, Italy where presumably both of our home towns were named. Ever been to the origin?

@Parma, all this time I thought you were from my home town of Parma, Ohio! Or, maybe, Parma, Italy where presumably both of our home towns were named. Ever been to the origin?
nope...only Parma I've been to is the one in Idaho.