It's hot ... so let's go canoeing!

kwc

so the forecast called for temps in the 90s with high humidity so we figured we'd get away for the day and go paddling on the Hudson & Opalescent Rivers in the Adirondacks. It was definitely cooler there than at home! All photos courtesy of Mrs. kwc.fullsizeoutput_2980.jpeg
yup, this is the Hudson River ... it's wider and not flowing all that fast here. Heading downstream ...
DSCN8392.JPG
you can see the haze in the air ... looking northward towards the high peaks ...

DSCN8395.JPG
the Hudson has narrowed here and is fairly shallow ...
fullsizeoutput_2981.jpeg
the grass under the water as we paddled along ...
DSCN8400.JPG
heading up the Opalescent ... current was pretty strong.
DSCN8401.JPG
lunch time on one of the many sandbars on the Opalescent. We had a shady spot with a nice cooling breeze & so after lunch a some brief dips in the cold water we took naps.
DSCN8403.JPG
another view from our lunch spot ... lots of deer tracks on the sand bars.
fullsizeoutput_2987.jpeg
we followed this little side channel on our way back ... ended up by a large beaver house.
fullsizeoutput_298e.jpeg
reflections ...
fullsizeoutput_2991.jpeg
yours truly ...
fullsizeoutput_2983.jpeg
cloud watching from our lunch spot ... I thought that this cloud looked like one of the starships from Star Trek. You may have other ideas.

We did see a couple loons on our way back but we couldn't get close enough to get any good photos ... they didn't stay on the surface very long either.

Beautiful. I heard on the news that they were issuing a heat warning for your area. I hope you don't have to put up with it for too long.

Beautiful. I heard on the news that they were issuing a heat warning for your area. I hope you don't have to put up with it for too long.
Thank you @scatman! The weather forecast says no relief until Saturday July 7th. So all week 90+ degree temperatures and high humidity. Yuck. Not exactly the best conditions for outdoor activity.

Wow!
Love the grass under the water...I want to touch it.
Thanks for being willing to go outside in the heat and share the report!

That looks like a great way to spend a day. I'm still amazed at how "skinny" the Hudson is up north, thanks for the photos and report.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Castle/Conundrum/Hot Springs Trip - Colorado Trip Planning 5
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. The Second Half. Backpacking 15
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. Part One of Two. Backpacking 61
kwc Paddling on a Hot Summer’s Day On The Water 2
kwc Southern Adirondack Paddling on a HOT Day ... On The Water 0
gnwatts Family Meander Canyon float trip, slow, fun and hot On The Water 4
WasatchWill Back to Diamond Fork & Fifth Water Hot Springs Backpacking 8
WasatchWill Tabernacle Hill & Meadow Hot Springs Hiking & Camping 5
Keith Lamar River, Mist Creek, Pelican Valley, Hot Springs Basin, Rainbow Springs and Joseph Coat Springs Backpacking 15
Nick Fresh Stickers! Get 'em while they're hot! General Discussion 2
mike54704 Anyone know how the trail to Conundrum Hot Springs in CO would be the first week of March? Trip Planning 5
uintahiker Another Southern Arizona TR: Hot Well Dunes Hiking & Camping 0
Nick Fifth Water Hot Springs Trip Planning 0
Scott Chandler Another 5th Water Hot Springs Winter Sports 6
Nick Fifth Water Hot Springs Winter Sports 10
Tyler Crystal Hot Springs March 2012 Everything Else 5
SteveR Got photo calendars? Let's see them! Photography 14
Parma Let's See Your US National Parks Signs Photos Photography 21
Perry 5.7 mag Earthquake in Salt Lake City Area - Check in Here to Let Us Know You're Okay General Discussion 44
westy Stuff to let go - pack, tent, jacket Gear Market: Buy, Sell, Trade 0
Red Rock Rangers Let the wild rumpus start! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
DAA Pocket Cam Pics - Let's see 'em! Photography 22
Aldaron Garfield Basin or "Don't ever let me hike here again" Backpacking 10
kwc How things can change in a month … canoeing in the southern Adirondacks On The Water 2
kwc More Adirondack Canoeing - Mason Lake On The Water 2
kwc Adirondack Canoeing 2018 On The Water 1
kwc Even More Adirondack Canoeing On The Water 0
kwc More Adirondack Canoeing On The Water 3
kwc Canoeing the Chubb - Lake Placid 2017 On The Water 13
kwc An Adirondack Canoeing Day Trip On The Water 6
Nanda Flaming Gorge Canoeing On The Water 3
Tres Westbrook Canoeing on the Colorado - Glen Canyon Dam to Lee's Ferry On The Water 4