Italian Peaks: Divide Creek Lake and Deadman Creek

muir_mountain

Wilderness Seeker
This was a solo 3-night backpacking trip that I did in mid-June of 2016.

The Italian Peaks are a little-known sub range of the Rockies that lie on the southern border of Montana and Idaho. The most sough-after destination in the range is probably the Webber Lakes, a string of 3 stunning lakes beneath Scott Peak, the range's highest point. I had the option of day hiking to the Webber Lakes from my base camp at Divide Creek Lake, but I unfortunately talked myself out of it... However, I definitely did plenty of exploring! I ventured into both states, and got to visit Montana for the first time by hiking into Deadman Creek! Another fun fact: Italian Peak, the mountain that magnificently towers over Deadman Creek, is the southernmost point in Montana.

The trailhead is about a two hour drive from Idaho Springs. WAYYYYY out there. I followed the directions from Douglas Lorain's excellent and highly recommended book Backpacking Idaho. If you're planning a trip here, make sure to get it; it has the only information on the range I could find.
Here is a canyon on the drive up:
IMG_3125.jpg
Beautiful country. Finally at the trailhead (only one here, no surprise :p). Once there, I was happy to find a tiny outhouse... and an unusual photo opportunity (don't worry, not what you think haha):
IMG_3133.jpg

The first mile of the hike is on a rough 4wd road to the start of the trail hiking. I wouldn't recommend the road because it's quite uneven and goes through two nasty gates. And besides, the road allows for pleasant hiking with even more pleasant scenery:
IMG_3135.jpg

It's another 6 miles of mildly strenuous hiking to Divide Creek Lake. The canyon the trail follows is beautiful, but I didn't get any good pictures because the sun was setting. I'll just leave it a mystery... I arrived at the lake when it was dusk. It allowed just enough time to set up my tent before it became pitch black. So this photo of the lake was taken then next evening:
IMG_3207.jpg

I'd say the lake was pleasant. Not by any means spectacular, at least by Rocky Mountain standards. If I were to go back, I'd try staying at the Webber Lakes. There was a picnic table about 50 yards above the lake, which made quite a nice spot to eat meals.

Day 2... My goal for the day was to hike over the divide and into Deadman Creek, then up to the top of the pass under Italian Peak (this is a recommended side hike in Backpacking Idaho. This hike was what made this trip worth it. For anyone interested, on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the best that the Tetons, Winds, and San Juan's have to offer, I'd say upper Deadman Creek was an 8. Meaning, very worth your time to explore. I was actually blown away. Now here's some pics to whet your appetite :)

IMG_3146.jpg
The geology of the unnamed peaks behind me were breathtaking. Hiking up Deadman Creek:
IMG_3154.jpg
Strolling cross country up to the pass was a delight:
IMG_3203.jpg
Now near the top of the pass, head of Deadman and Nicholia Creeks (looking up at Italian Peak):
IMG_3171.jpg
Looking Northwest into Montana. I'm not sure what mountain range that is in the distance, but it looks massive.
IMG_3180.jpg
A partial panorama of the Italian Peaks. For those looking on the map, I ended up climbing north to point 10,529, and this picture was take about half way up the slopes. I didn't capture it, but you could also see the highest point in the range, Scott Peak. The views breathtaking:
IMG_3204.jpg
From point 10,529, I hiked northeast down to Deadman Creek and back to Divide Creek Lake.

Day 3... Regrettably, I just sat around, read a book, and listened to music around camp. I would have loved to see the Webber Lakes, but I was pretty tired from the previous day. Maybe next time :)
Here's another shot of Divide Creek Lake:
IMG_3189.jpg

Day 4... Hiked about 7 miles back to the car early in the morning. In parts, the forested canyon was downright enchanting:
IMG_3208.jpg
Thank you for reading! If you have any questions on beta for a trip here, let me know!

Just need to look out of the box ...... their is way more neat places than the Uintas, Yellowstone, S Utah, etc.

Awesome stuff! And I agree with the above comments. Thanks for showing us this side of Idaho. The southern portion of the MT-ID border is a really neat, seemingly forgotten (or never paid attention to in the first place) place. I've spent just a bit of time out near the Centennial Mountains before. The solitude out there is incredible.

Excellent post, M_M, great photos!

The mountain range in the distance is the Lemhi Range, actually in Idaho. Another range worthy of exploration.

That photo of you in front of Italian Peak made me smile.

Last edited:
Excellent post, M_M, great photos!

The mountain range in the distance is the Lemhi Range, actually in Idaho. Another range worthy of exploration.

That photo of you in front of Italian Peak made me smile.
Thanks! You're right, it's the northern part of the Lemhi Range. I was hoping to get there last summer, but I didn't make it. I'll have a report of my trip in the Lost Rivers coming soon :)