iPhones now have non-emergency access to the satellite link

regehr

someone mentioned this in a thread the other day but it seems like something everyone here should see: if you have an iPhone >= 14 and you upgrade to iOS 18, you can do messaging through the satellite link. I haven't tested it out because it doesn't work while you have other signals, but this seems very cool!

I did test this last Friday. We had no signal and sent a message with our dinner order for takeout to my wife and we received her response.

Messaging is slow, but it worked and the messaging is free for 2 years.
Your iphone will tell you where the satellite is and give a visual to try and keep pointed while the message is sending.
I have also previously used the send location, not SOS, but just the location to a contact, and it worked as well.

I did test this last Friday. We had no signal and sent a message with our dinner order for takeout to my wife and we received her response.

Messaging is slow, but it worked and the messaging is free for 2 years.
Your iphone will tell you where the satellite is and give a visual to try and keep pointed while the message is sending.
I have also previously used the send location, not SOS, but just the location to a contact, and it worked as well.
If you send me her number will she bring me takeout?

Back