Intro to NW WY in 9 days?

OldBill

I am spending Sep 7-Oct 1 in/around the Winds. First part is by myself, searching for golden trout on 2-5 day treks at someplace to be determined (as per a recent thread on wasting my time). I average around 10-12 miles/day but have done 20+ on the way out.

I especially need help on the second part of the trip. On Sep 21 my girlfriend arrives on her first Wyoming visit. I've got 9 days to show why I keep coming back every year! I want to hit both sides of the Winds and at least show the Absorakas where I spent 10 years at a dude ranch. It's a compromise to having a single base camp for the entire time. There's a lot of distance between must-sees to spend time driving.

I promised no hikes in heavy griz territory. Not certain how she'll handle the cold, altitude and weight so probably only 7-10 miles/day and only 1 or 2 nights. Still not bad for our age (I'm 60) but it rules out a day-hike to Jackass Pass, getting to Island Lake in 1 day, etc. We will need to spend at least some time at the national parks (which I typically avoid, mostly due to crowds and lack of golden trout).

Are there any hikes to a "Photography Point"-like view without a 12 mile hike?
Any suggestions for the modest 1-2 night (2-3 day) adventure, 8 mile/day?

The best I could do from memory was Hobbs (so we get Photo Pt), Dream L (panoramic view of Mt Bonneville area - a slog from TH though), or Dads (backside of Cirque). Most great viewpoints are at passes, peaks and ridges like Lizard Head Plateau, Horse Ridge and Goat Flat, etc..). For all I know just being at any lake surrounded by 1000'+ peaks will get the point across. Doubletop and Whisky have great views but might be a tough day-hike.

Current plan for her time is

1) Arrive Jackson. Tour town and shop for supplies. Overnight in Driggs (closest place to get reasonably priced motel/cabin)!
2) Day 1: Teton sunrise then grab a spot for 2 nights at Signal Lake, pick a short dayhike to acclimate
3) Day 2: Tour Yellowstone - leave early to catch alpine glow over Yellowstone and/or Jackson lakes.
4) Day 3: Dubois, camp at Longhorn RV park. Drive to Wiggins Fk or stop by Brooks L
5) Day 4: L. Louise hike (5-6 m) to check acclimation. Drive over Union Pass to Pinedale, Fremont L CG or motel.
6) Day 5: Dayhike to the Natural Bridge on Green R/Clear Crk. Maybe I get to fish the Upper Green while she chills with a book. :)
7) Day 6: Backpack in (Hobbs, Dream (from Scab Ck TH) or Dads Lakes). There's a rumored GDT lake near Hobbs. H'mmm...
8) Day 7: Backpack out (or, if lucky, continue to Island L/Big Slide or Rainbow/Middle Fk L or Shadow L)
9) Day 8: Backpack out if 2 d works. Else make it a recovery day and return to Jackson/GTNP.
10) Day 9: Return to Jackson. Hike GTNP if arrive the day before (need to get a new pass, ugh..). Stay in Driggs motel/cabin.
11) Return home

Thanks!

Last edited:
For someone who's never been to the Winds, looking for an easy hike with great views, I'd hit up Big Sandy. Day to the Cirque and a day around Deep/Temple Lakes loop. If you're not fishing, then you could do the Deep/Temple look and hike out in the same day.

I just did the exact hike Homer recommended a few weeks ago with my 6-year-old and he loved it. It would be a great hike for her with some amazing payoffs.

The Lake Louise Outlet is 3.8 total miles but a longer but easier hike with similar reward is: Upper Jade Lake is 4.8 total miles and adding Lower Jade or more is an option. Lake Louise is a great hike too, but it is no longer NOT grizz territory. Sorry to say, every square inch of the ecosystem is apex predatorville now; you need to carry bearspray in the Winds too.

Ross Lake outlet is 6 miles, add Whiskey Mt. and you have some pretty cool stuff without having to hike in a couple of long days.

If you can reason that driving to the trailhead is way more dangerous than grizzlies hike Mt. Sublette or something else relatively easy in the SE Absaroka. Don't tell her I got charged just a few miles from Jades on Bonneville Pass Trail. Note about Brooks Lake area though. !@#$ing lodge has not corrected sewage problem, algae bloom has hurt it and downstream significantly when it comes to fishing.

Wiggins near Double Cabin or from the East Fork? Man, fishing is darn good all over there.

Don't leave too early, or head home to late. Greater Yellowstone is the greatest mammalian habitat in the Temperate Zone. Ungulates aren't good for Front Ends. Jackson Lake will be awesome, get to the last pullout before you go over the hill to Flagg Ranch. Where are you staying up there? You can't do the Lamar if you are compelled to get back to GTNP. Silvergate/Cooke City is a weekend I do every few years, great staging for the Lamar. Do the Canyon one way and Old Faithful the other.

Signal Mountain Campground? At Colter Bay the trail on Hermitage Point can be an amazing wildlife hike at DUSK. Gotta get past Heron Pond and Swan Lake, look for 3rd Creek. Fewer grizz downrange but saw an enormous blackie just a couple of weeks ago in Hanging Canyon. Bradley and Taggart can be looped "Around the Block." Basically adds Grand Teton Climbers Ranch, Cottonwood Creek, and Burned Wagon Gulch. I will give you specific directions if you're interested. Phelps Lake from Rockefeller Preserve is quite nice.

Teton Sunrise at Schwabachers?

Thanks! Great points as usual.

Yes, we'll both have at least the 8z bear spray on our belts. Figured L. Louise was so well traveled it'd count as low griz danger. Just promised no hiking in heavy griz country. Funny you mentioned Jade. Had my first bear encounter there while fishing. Came right down the western wall. Didn't hear a thing, just saw it from side vision. It stopped and examined a tree then meandered down the trail. I decided to take the trail on the opposite side! First encounter, especially solo is always interesting. But, absolutely want to head up there. Bummer to hear about the Lodge polluting the area though. Think the FS would come down on them.

I've always taken Horse Creek up towards the Double Cabin area. Amazing sights right from the campground. Never had much luck up there as the water has always been too low. Walked about a mile downstream with no luck. Took a side road further down that winds down just below the canyon but it was so steep and rutted didn't trust the rental SUV to make it. Have to look into better access over by the East Fk. The only access points I saw were near that Lawyer's retreat (or whatever it is). Seemed pretty silty/milky-white at that point. The Wind R access usually gives me some fun though it gets a lot of traffic. Lot of whitefish last few years.

Have to research those GTNP hikes. Am bringing all the maps with me. Just chose Signal since it has a new shower facility and had less traffic. Need to look again at the reservation system as this will be my first time there. Used to stay at Flagg, but it was pretty poor as of a 4-5 yrs ago. Know management changed but not certain they improved it. Think we have to get in line around 8-9am and look for folks checking out that day, then hang a sign "taken/reserved". Pretty clumsy system!

Usually head up to the Snake R. overlook for first alpine glow shots. Got tired of the crowds at Oxbow. Usually hit Schwabachers just after sunrise to 10AM. Had some great shots of my nephew taking pictures there last year. Blown away.

Yeah, driving early morning has to be done real careful. I take it slow, stay near the center and look for the shine of eyes at the edges. Hearing the elk bugle at that time is just awesome.

My GoLite Virga rainjacket failed last weekend so need to get a new ultralight jacket. Nothing like paying full price for last minute gear replacements. Bet the stores out there are pretty depleted after the recent eclipse crowds. Getting soaked in 60 degrees was bad enough. Another 3 hrs of packing and looking forward to starting the trip tomorrow early morning.

Lake Louise is low grizz area, but boar was raiding campers along road to trailhead a few years ago. There is a Campground on State Land "Bear Creek." Yes, near Lawyers College, First left after Thunderhead's huge sign. From there rough 4WD road to Wiggins but only an hour or hour and a half hike. There are fish right in the campground too. Free Campground.

My brother always did GREAT on Frontier Creek not far from Double Cabin.

We are smoky but supposed to clear for the weekend. Smoke may/will be a problem off an on everywhere until winter.

Gotta run. If I can help you at all I sure will. Otherwise have a great hike.