Intermediate SUV have room for 5 Backpacks in back?

Mikjik86

Hey everyone.

A group of 5 of us are heading up to Glacier National Park from Grand Junction, CO next month and we have to rent an SUV with enough room for the group and 5 backpacks.

An intermediate SUV is mentioned as a Ford Edge, or similar vehicle. Wondering if anyone has insight as to the possibility of fitting everything.

Also, if anyone knows any coupon codes or other ways for a discount it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

My wife has a Ford Edge and I wouldn't want to be stuck in there with four other people and gear for a drive to Glacier. I'd personally try to get something bigger, but maybe that's just me.

That said, everything and everyone would probably fit, although there wouldn't be much room left over.

I had 4 packs and 4 people in my Outback last week. I think another pack probably would've fit (while pretty much fully obscuring the view out the rear windshield, but I sure wouldn't want to be the person who has to sit in the back middle seat for the drive from Grand Junction to Glacier!

You could also rent two separate smaller cars. Most stuff in Glacier is pretty accessible.

We are taking 2 days to drive. Hoping to get to Butte, or Helena day 1. (11ish Hours) then another 4 or 5 the next day to Many Glacier Trailhead.

Any other ideas?

I have fit 5 adults in a Rav4 on a big road trip before. It was a really tight fit, but we made it work.

Why not look at a crew cab pickup

I have fit 5 adults in a Rav4 on a big road trip before. It was a really tight fit, but we made it work.
Since reserving the vehicle online earlier today, I noticed a few Rav4's at the grocery store and peeked in. From what I saw the back should fit the 5 backpacks, yet it would be snug. I am driving 6'0, 2 of the guys are shorter than 5'8, and 2 are taller than 6'3. Quite the diversity in size. Middle seat will unfortunately have to be a smaller dude.

I rented a tiny Mitsubishi Something last year and jammed four dudes and four packs in there. It was... tight, to say the least. :)

Since reserving the vehicle online earlier today, I noticed a few Rav4's at the grocery store and peeked in. From what I saw the back should fit the 5 backpacks, yet it would be snug. I am driving 6'0, 2 of the guys are shorter than 5'8, and 2 are taller than 6'3. Quite the diversity in size. Middle seat will unfortunately have to be a smaller dude.
What Bob said... I have rented them cheap sometimes. Try Enterprise.

Funny to see this thread here and on 14ers. This is some intense cargo capacity research lol.