Interesting article about dark sky parks

Best dark skies I have ever seen (and I am a pretty experienced amateur astronomer) were at about 9,000 feet in Kings Canyon. Absolutely stunning stars--so many that I had a hard time identifying the constellations.

There are about 2500 stars in the sky that we can see in a very dark sky. In cities, we often only see 25 of them.

In December 1994, we were at Anza-Borrego and saw more stars than I've ever seen anywhere before or since. Hard to find the constellations, just like you experienced, @balzaccom. It was spectacular!

I'll add that the country on the west side of the Tetons is pretty spectacular at night (near Alta). I was able to easily photograph the Andromeda Nebula. I've also seen unbelievable night skies in the San Juan Mtns.

North rim of the grand canyon was awesome.....until they added landing lights at the south rim airport:mad:

Capitol Reef has my favorite sky I've seen. It was a new moon night and I got up around 2-3am to tinkle. I ended up waking up my son and others in the tent to come take a look. It was amazing how bright the stars were without a moon.

Fox Park in the Teton Wilderness was absolutely spectacular, we saw more stars than anywhere I’d ever been. In my opinion it blew the Sawtooths out of the water which is pretty incredible in itself. We stayed out from around midnight until 3:00am and the sky seemed to be glowing purple with so many stars it almost felt like you could reach up and touch them.

Death Valley's great. (and certified) Great Sand Dunes is dark sky certified as is the area around Westcliffe and Silver Cliff in CO. A lot goes into being dark sky certified as I know one of the people making the push for certification for Westcliffe and Silver Cliff. Obviously many areas in Utah fit the bill as well. I got dizzy looking at the stars while camping near the Government Trail on Cedar Mesa.

Believe it or not, one of the best dark skies I ever saw ended up one fine October in the Nebraska Panhandle camped north of the Agate Fossil Beds and camped in the Pine Ridge Escarpment.

My wife at the time and I found a free county campground in a small canyon (yes!) with a flowing creek and cottonwoods popping yellow. The Milky Way more than lived up to its name. I kid you not; the Panhandle makes a surprisingly great destination if you never checked it out.

A few years later, I remembered this tidbit and saw the 2017 eclipse as the totality line went right through there.

Sioux County, NE, is about twice the size of RI but has fewer than 1800 people. And the "big" city of Scottsbluff is over an hour away.

Last edited:
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
scatman Another Interesting Article General Discussion 6
scatman Interesting Article General Discussion 5
scatman Interesting Article General Discussion 27
wsp_scott Interesting article about a wolf General Discussion 0
Rockskipper The Bees! Interesting article about a Canadian woman who decided to hike instead of dying General Discussion 3
Laura Interesting article about wilderness General Discussion 17
Rockskipper You think you found a pithouse, or maybe an Ancestral Puebloan tower near Green River, UT? It's maybe something even more interesting... General Discussion 3
SeanIsADesertRat Interesting/mysterious patterns Needles District, Canyonlands General Discussion 19
Rockskipper pay-for-bot-scanning services for National Park campsites - interesting comments General Discussion 1
Reef&Ruins Interesting Thread on Another Hiking Forum General Discussion 13
Perry Interesting New One Person Tent - Review Video Added Gear 34
Perry Well This Looks interesting Gear 1
F Interesting Trip Everything Else 2
Perry Sierra Designs High Route 1FL Tent - Looks interesting Gear 6
Bob Interesting wind River Blog General Discussion 1
Howells Outdoors Huh? Well that's interesting General Discussion 5
wsp_scott Article: Trapped in the Winds General Discussion 2
scatman Good Article General Discussion 8
BobFink Recreation.Gov article in Wall Street Journal General Discussion 12
scatman A Good Article General Discussion 8
scatman Article that brings back memories. General Discussion 10
wsp_scott NYTimes article: Guess the spot saves someone's life General Discussion 1
Rockskipper Earthquakes in Sawtooths Changing Things (Article) General Discussion 3
scatman A Good Article General Discussion 8
fossana NY Times article on lead ammunition General Discussion 12
wsp_scott Article: Crisis in our national parks General Discussion 96
ramblinman Food Fight: Article in the New Yorker about the Hell's Backbone Grill in Boulder, UT General Discussion 7
isleroyaleguy Grizzlies in Wyoming article. General Discussion 6
Vegan.Hiker Great article about a fellow adventure seeker General Discussion 4
NateGeesaman Nick's photo in a BBC travel article General Discussion 2
FourisTheNewOne Vermillion Cliffs - NatGeo article General Discussion 0
Nethos Into Dark Canyon Backpacking 12
SeanIsADesertRat Old guys backpacking in Dark Canyon Backpacking 17
B Dark Canyon - Young's to Lean-to Traverse Trip Planning 3
M Dark Canyon Complex Water Data Trip Planning 4
fossana An Allen inspired trip to Dark Canyon Backpacking 32
JBPHXAZ Dark Canyon Backpacking Help Trip Planning 9
Mikjik86 8 Days Backpacking Dark Canyon Wilderness Backpacking 3
Mikjik86 Short Video: Backpacking/Packrafting Dark Canyon Wilderness, Utah. April 2019 Backpacking 0
regehr Allen-ish dark canyon loop video Backpacking 5
Stephanie B Behind the Rocks, Ken's Lake Faux Falls, U-Turn Canyon, Seven Mile Canyon, and Dark Angel Hiking & Camping 4
dug Dark Cyn/Fable Valley approach roads Trip Planning 5
T Dark canyon - lower blm portion with pack goats?? Canyoneering 2
Nick Poll: Dark vs. Light - 2018 Edition General Discussion 9
Gregg B. Dark Canyon/Gypsum Canyon/Cataract Canyon Loop Trip Planning 17
Kullaberg63 Allen's Dark Canyon route Trip Planning 18
MarkintheHV Dark Canyon Trip Planning 4
George_Washington_Hayduke Clearwater Canyon, Black Hole of White Canyon, Dark Canyon, Swett Canyon "Packraftoneering" Canyoneering 6
BJett Dark Canyon Wilderness - Wilderness Volunteers Backpacking 12
J Dark Canyon/Gypsum Loop Trip Planning 16