If you could only have one...

Which landscape would you choose if you could only have one to play in?

• Desert

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • Mountains

Votes: 21 58.3%

• Total voters

Nick

-
Just a random curiosity on what people prefer... If you could only have one landscape to backpack/hike/explore for the rest of your life, what would it be? The desert or the mountains? The desert would include such areas as the Colorado Plateau, Mojave, Death Valley, AZ, New Mexico, etc. etc. For mountains, think Tetons, Yellowstone, Uintas, Sierra Nevadas, Wind Rivers, Glacier, Alaska etc. etc.

Assuming the seasons were such that you could have equal access to each, but you could only pick one, which would it be? Answer in the poll above.

I have really grown fond of the Mountains the past couple of years. I really appreciate the contrast in differences. Its just part of the seasons for me these days, Desert shoulder seasons/winter, and mountains in the summer.

That said, I'm glad desert access is longer.

Last edited:
I had to choose mountains but perhaps I should have abstained since I've never hiked in the desert. I'm sure I'll fall head over heels in love with the desert but mountains have a special place in my heart and there's something about the simple metaphoric beauty of climbing a mountain that never gets old to me.

Love them both and would hate to have to give one up....but if I had to choose I think I gravitate to the desert more often when given the choice...

Without a doubt, the mountains.

That's a tough question. I would pick the mountains. At some point though I would attempt to break the rules and take off for the desert.

If I had to pick one specific place it would be Glacier National Park and the surrounding area. I would have no problem being stuck there for the rest of my life.

Totally addicted to mountains. Deserts-not so much. Even in winter, I prefer to play in the mountains.

If I had to pick one specific place it would be Glacier National Park and the surrounding area. I would have no problem being stuck there for the rest of my life.

Glacier is nice but way too many people. I've spent a lot of time in the Beartooth's and it is certainly one place I never tire of and could be stuck forever.

When i was 10 or 11 years old i saw pictures of the Grand Canyon and surroundings and i knew that the place i want to go one time, at the same time i already started growing cacti, so with without the slightest doubt it's the desert!

I've got sandstone in my veins. Nothing does it for me quite like the desert. And if I had to choose just one place, it would definitely be the greater Glen Canyon region. I could spend the rest of my life there and be pretty damn happy.

I really like the desert areas .............. my heart is mountains, lakes and pine trees.

One reason we are building a new house in Island Park, Idaho......

I have really grown fond of the Mountains the past couple of years. I really appreciate the contrast in differences. Its just part of the seasons for me these days, Desert shoulder seasons/winter, and mountains in the summer.

That said, I'm glad desert access is longer.

Just to be clear though- Desert, particularly the Colorado Plateau, is my favorite place on Earth.

I love both but coulnd't be without my desert surroundings.
In the desert you play year round, that's definitely not doable in the mountains if you do not ski or like some sort of winter sports

it's a hard question because the reality is that the desert is available more or less 100% of the time, while the mountains are not. sure it gets up to 120* some places in july, but there are high elevation desert areas that don't have to be so bad. i mean that the desert seasons are an easier work around than the mountains. makes it difficult for me to realistically consider. but if i could hike mountains with out the snow as much of the year as you can the desert with out debilitating heat, i'd take mountains.

Assuming the seasons were such that you could have equal access to each, but you could only pick one, which would it be? Answer in the poll above.

Bingo. Everything else being equal, I very slightly prefer the mountains to the desert. However, everything is NOT equal, and the desert offers the opportunity to do really cool things when the mountains are under several feet of snow.

I spent most of my life in a place that didn't have either. So really, no matter if I'm in the mountains or the desert, I can't really complain!

Back