Ideas for 4 nights in Escalante

I'm too lazy to look it up, do you have to be a Strava member or simply if your device is on it is legal to follow you? I don't own any devices beyond a camera. No phone, no GPS, no watch so I am not particularly informed.

I'm too lazy to look it up, do you have to be a Strava member or simply if your device is on it is legal to follow you? I don't own any devices beyond a camera. No phone, no GPS, no watch so I am not particularly informed.

Strava is an app that people use to track their activities (hiking, biking, etc). You have to sign up for an account and install the app on your phone and then actively use it to track yourself.

Strava is an app that people use to track their activities (hiking, biking, etc). You have to sign up for an account and install the app on your phone and then actively use it to track yourself.
Thanks. I couldn't imagine we were somehow in that brave new world yet.
A Masters thesis for a statistics type could be a comparison on the Strava users backcountry preferences to that of non-members.
Does anyone have the key that gives the total users as the lines grow "hotter"? 2, 3, 5, 20, 100???

It's looking like rain next week - any suggestions for rain-safe options? My plan was LDH/WC then going to Capitol Reef for both Muleys (I decided SFC/CC or HW had too much wading with the current river height, but maybe it's actually fine?).

Thanks so much!

IF it is raining or rain is threatening DO NOT go on any unpaved roads......They turn it "MUD HELL'.....super slippery and dangerous no matter what vehicle you are driving.

I would also stay out of any slot canyons if it looks like rain.

Hope you find something.......Maybe slickrock hike somewhere if weather is crummy.

I would say to keep your options open, and monitor the weather forecasts. Are you committed to Escalante and overnighters? Weather there looks poor for early next week, and I can't think of a lot of hikes accessed from pavement there, especially backpacks. For a dayhike in wet weather- do Calf Creek Falls. When we did it in October rain, we had it almost to ourselves. Capitol Reef has several dayhikes that are fine in the wet, possibly some overnighters also accessed off pavement. Worst case scenario if the weather really takes a crap, and as you will be nearby anyway- around Moab, where the forecast is looking better. Will be busy, and maybe not backpacking, but at least you could salvage the trip, and as you say that this is your first time in the area- it is worthwhile seeing the sights. And if tenting in the rain- plenty of eateries in town to have a warm dry dinner at!

If the weather continues to look rainy, then you could consider extending your initial destination (Salt Creek) and do slick rock day hikes in The Needles after you finish the Salt Creek backpacking trip. You can disperse camp outside the park (though that would also require going on a dirt road) and stay on pavement to Squaw Flat TH. There's also Squaw Flat campground, though it might be filled, if it's spring break season.

As mentioned above, if it's rainy, or it might rain, forget about driving out on dirt roads in Escalante or anywhere in southern Utah, regardless of the Jeep rental. It might end up like this..... and Matt has many more super entertaining muddy video's, see below.
(By the way- did any of you notice how excited Matt was after he/Ed received that big box of chocolates yesterday!!! I love that channel :heart_eyes: )

Are you committed to Escalante and overnighters?

We're not totally committed, but are booked at the Boulder lodge for a couple of transition nights. I know Burr Trail switchbacks would be bad news if it rains, but 12/95/276 all seem to be okay? So it may be a Capitol Reef adventure - I have Rick's book but it's more focused on shorter hikes.

I'll definitely keep an eye on the weather - it looks better today than it did yesterday, so maybe we'll be lucky!

..... but 12/95/276 all seem to be okay?

Generally yes, they are paved. If it's really cold at night and there's precipitation, there could be a little snow/ice on Rt 12 early morning on the northern side of Boulder Mountain (high elevation between Torrey and Boulder).

FYI- Burr Trail rd is paved between Boulder and the start of Capitol Reef NP, so you could still do stuff straight off Burr Trail rd.
At CRNP it becomes dirt road, incl. switchbacks and Nottom-Bullfrog Rd northbound is dirt rd (except some paved miles before rt24).