Ideas around Silverton, CO - Hike + Camp

JohnP

I have an "open" day coming up when I'll be around Silverton, CO and looking for ideas for a cool place to do a day hike & camp (1-2 nights night with 1 full day).

Any advice? Handies Peak is a possibility per @IntrepidXJ suggestion last year but I thought I'd open it up to the experts on this forum.

I'd prefer a camp site that's a bit more secluded (I like people, just not all the time) and I have 4x4 so access can be expanded accordingly.

Trip logistics would look like : camp thurs night; hike all day friday; camp friday night; leave early Sat

Thanks in advance!

You could drive back towards Ouray, head up to Yankee Boy Basin and climb Mt. Sneffels. Lot's of camping around there, if memory serves.

You could drive back towards Ouray, head up to Yankee Boy Basin and climb Mt. Sneffels. Lot's of camping around there, if memory serves.
You are not allowed to car camp in Yankee Boy Basin anymore.

Are you looking to hike a peak (you won't find solitude on a 14er), a quieter/lower peak or a hike up to a lake?

Ice Lakes Basin is also a great area, though there will be a fair amount of people hiking around there.

Are you looking to hike a peak (you won't find solitude on a 14er), a quieter/lower peak or a hike up to a lake?

Ice Lakes Basin is also a great area, though there will be a fair amount of people hiking around there.

If @JohnP wants a fairly short climb to the top of a 14er, you can camp in the area, as there are opportunities to camp between Ouray and Yankee Boy Basin.

Last edited:
Only in designated campgrounds these days.

I have camped off of the Governor Basin Road. Incredible site. It was not designated. Maybe it is not allowed now.
I have also camped in the Blue Lakes area (near Ridgway), if you hit it at the right time it can be uncrowded.

The solitude on the peak doesn't matter to me (I like people on trails) .... more on the camping side. I'm not a fan of camping by other people if I can avoid it. I'd like to do a 14er early and then just kind of explore the area - I haven't been to that part of the San Juans yet.

THANKS!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
T Southern Utah Backpacking ideas for MLK Weekend? Trip Planning 21
futurafree Colorado off-trail ideas? Trip Planning 8
D Grand Canyon Ideas Trip Planning 9
D Backpacking Ideas for an 8 year old Trip Planning 16
U Just picked up a permit for Shelf Lake 2 nights in Mid/Late July. Any ideas for a day hike/summit from there? Trip Planning 0
Perry Ideas for Camera and Lens Carry Inside a Backpack Photography 11
M Ideas for 4 nights in Escalante Trip Planning 30
forest dweller Seeking advice for a 5 or 6 night Banff or Jasper backpacking trip for a married couple with different ideas of what awesome is!!! Trip Planning 7
Chuck the Mauler Trip ideas near or west of Vegas Trip Planning 8
WasatchWill Spring Break Ideas for Vernal/Dino Quarry NM Trip Planning 3
C denali backpacking ideas Trip Planning 3
RyanP 3-day trip ideas (15-20 miles or so) for late May/early June with good water Trip Planning 9
DrNed Ideas For 1 Night Backpacking In Utah Desert? Trip Planning 10
D Memorial Day backpacking ideas Trip Planning 5
T Dirty Devil Backback ideas Trip Planning 2
R 3 - 4 day backpacking trip ideas Trip Planning 13
Perry Late Season Uintas Day Hike Ideas. Bear River to WFBF and Back? Trip Planning 13
Wanderlust073 3 or 4 night trip ideas - CO, WY Trip Planning 8
kimbur96 Need ideas...3 days, Nov 17-20, with dog?? Trip Planning 10
Mike Jones Cheap Custom Framing Ideas? Photography 10
graywolf High Uintas Ideas Trip Planning 10
Mike Jones 2-3 NIght Back country Yosemite ideas? Trip Planning 3
Shannon Three-four day loop trail ideas? Trip Planning 2
A Trip Ideas Trip Planning 2
Flaminghog2099 Amazon gift card gear ideas Gear 5
Stephanie Escalante for Memorial Day weekend? Ideas? Trip Planning 9
mtthwlw 25 mile backpacking trip ideas needed Trip Planning 8
Stephanie Hiking ideas? Trip Planning 4
Blake Merrell HELP! Need ideas for 50 mile routes in the Uintas Trip Planning 14
Seldom Seen Anderson backpacking nooby ideas Trip Planning 0
K 3 day backpacking ideas Trip Planning 2
Nick Need 4-day backpacking ideas and quick Trip Planning 22
Aldaron Need Trip Ideas Trip Planning 2
V December Backpacking ideas Trip Planning 9
Yvonne Camera equipment and water damage - any ideas? Photography 25
A Looking for ideas on backpacking the west Uintas Trip Planning 4
Nick Ideas to help grow Backcountrypost General Discussion 6
OldBill (mis)Adventures in and around the Winds Backpacking 8
Kullaberg63 Loop on and around the Fold Backpacking 13
zionsky Roaming around Zion Fall 2022 Hiking & Camping 4
TrailScot "I'll take the High Road ..." - A Loop Hike around the Canyons of Needles - May 2022 Trip Reports 14
OldBill In and Around the Winds, Sept 2020 Backpacking 8
U Any recommendations for 5 days hiking in Wyoming, Idaho or MT? This is around July 15-20. Not counting on Glacier being open Trip Planning 9
P Question about going around Shoshone Lake in Yellowstone Trip Planning 0
Nick What to do around Juneau or Haines Trip Planning 8
Dave Kickin' around the Strip, November 2017 Hiking & Camping 10
balzaccom Showing the kids around Yosemite Backpacking 0
andyjaggy Bug bites around ankle General Discussion 5
Kyle P Day Hikes around Denver Trip Planning 0
IntrepidXJ Easter Weekend Around the Paria Plateau Hiking & Camping 1