Ibantik Lake Uintah's August 3-5 2015

stephjas1

Before I begin I would like to introduce us, my wife and I love the outdoors and have really embraced backpacking. I personally am not a people person and prefer the solitude of the back country. A few years ago I traded in my Bow and Rifles for a Canon 7D camera. I don't have anything against hunting so long as it is for the right reason. I now prefer to look at the beautiful creations of God through my 200mm lens. We have lived in Utah our entire lives and have three quickly growing children, our oldest is a 21 year old daughter that would rather not be hiking with us. Our second is an outgoing young man who is currently serving an LDS mission in the Nebraska, Omaha mission. Our youngest in a strong fifteen year old boy who carries the brunt of our packing load (he's young, he can handle it). I have been on this site for about a year now checking out places to go, I finally decided to join and share some of my experiences. Thank you all who take the time to share. It is really more helpful than you might think.
Our trip began on a beautiful Sunday morning at the Crystal Lake TH (FYI for you first timers to this TH, there are 2 different TH here the Ibantik trail is the Eastern most. We found this the hard way :giggle:).

IMG_0146.JPG
This is the goofy twosome, I learned long ago that protection is more important than fashion.

IMG_0145.JPG
The fam is ready to hit the trail

IMG_0152.JPG

Wall Lake was a nice site, it was beginning to cloud but at least it kept the temps down and no bugs!

IMG_0366.JPG

The notch was amazing! It's a pretty good drop so you have to be careful. We had a group with three small children that walked right to the edge, my wife had to turn away it really worried her.

IMG_0937.jpg

Late Sunday evening we were blessed to have the herd of goats come right into camp! They were very gentle and came very near us. What a neat experience!IMG_1018.jpg

And then it hit! This cloud bank rolled in like a locomotive and boy did it pour! IMG_1024.jpg IMG_1024.jpg
and poured...IMG_1028.jpg
and poured! It rained from Sunday night straight through to Monday night just in time to climb in bed for the night. The upside is it wasn't too cold.IMG_1030.jpg
This was one of my favorite shots.IMG_1036.jpg
Tuesday morning I climbed out of the tent to find this! Just in time to leave :(IMG_0361.JPG
It is always horrible when you have to leave, I could live out here!IMG_0381.JPG
One last look from the Notch.IMG_0397.JPG
At least the views on the way out are as beautiful as on the way in:D (this is the Notch from the south side)

All in all, this is a really great hike. We went two times this summer and had the entire basin to ourselves both times. I wanted to make it down to Meadow but ran out of time. It is a bit difficult in areas and there certainly are a lot o rocks, big rocks especially at the lake. I would recommend this one to everyone, just be sure to go at the first or middle of the week. Weekends bring people like a swarm of mosquitoes. :uhhuh:

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
wabenho Clyde Lake Loop w/ Ibantik - September 2018 Hiking & Camping 5
elkaholic Ibantik lake Backpacking 6
DrNed Ibantik Lake - Notch Lake Backpacking 11
Nick Ibantik Lake, Uintas Trip Planning 0
Dave Ibantik Lake, Sept. 14-15 2012 Backpacking 10
Nick Uintas: Ibantik Lake Loop Backpacking 10
B Questions about Ibantik Trip Planning 6
Blake Merrell Meadow, Ibantik, and over the Notch! Backpacking 18
scatman Grebe Lake - September 4th through the 6th, 2024 Meet Up (Members Only) 20
K How long in Lake Bled? Trip Planning 1
wsp_scott Yellowstone Lake to Brooks Lake (Aug 2023) Backpacking 16
Mikjik86 Backpacking Indian Peaks Wilderness - King Lake - August, 2023 Backpacking 0
Ugly Two Popular Lake Basins in the Cascades Backpacking 12
TheMountainRabbit Ortenburger Lake, Talus Lake, & Glacier Peak (Grand Teton NP) - October 2023 Backpacking 14
kwc Fall hike to Chase Lake, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1
TrektheWorld Red Deer Lake & Beyond Backpacking 10
shredhiker Thorofare, Heart Lake, Snake River Sept. 2023 Backpacking 16
Bob Wind Rivers - Short Trip to Cook Lake Trip Reports 9
regehr (Uintas) Lake Fork Fun Backpacking 8
Timber High Sierra - North Lake to South Lake Loop - Layover Day Trip Planning 9
kwc Limekiln Lake paddle On The Water 0
shredhiker YNP Fawn Pass to Sportsman, Crescent, Shelf Lake Backpacking 11
Bob The Thorofare to Brooks Lake - 9 Days in Pictures Backpacking 10
Janice Lizard Head Plateau - overlook Upper Cathedral Lake? Trip Planning 15
uintafly Chepeta Lake to Hayden Pass Trip Planning 0
DrNed Naturalist Basin: Blue Lake to Shaler Lake? Trip Planning 12
shredhiker YNP Fawn Pass to Sportsman & Crescent Lake Trip Planning 14
kwc Jockeybush Lake- southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 0
shredhiker Yellowstone Heart Lake September 2022 Backpacking 9
TheMountainRabbit Black Lake (Rocky Mountain NP) - January 2023 Hiking & Camping 3
Ross Any Lake Powell experts who can advice on changed conditions at dramatically new lake levels? Trip Planning 3
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19
NorthwestWanderer 8 Day High Sierra trek : Humphreys Basin, Star Col, Granite Park, Lake Italy & Piute Canyon 6/25-7/2/22 Backpacking 7
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. The Second Half. Backpacking 15
kwc Another Southern Adirondacks hike - Clockmill Pond and Rock Lake Hiking & Camping 0
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. Part One of Two. Backpacking 61
kwc Round Lake, north central Adirondacks, in the Round Lake Wilderness On The Water 2
Jackson Heart Lake and Snake River for Labor Day Backpacking 23
scatman Pacific Creek, Moss Lake and Gravel Lake - Teton Wilderness - October 7, 2022 Backpacking 32
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Hayden Valley, Trout Creek, Beach Lake, and Arnica Creek Meadows. September 11, 2022. Hiking & Camping 7
balzaccom Obata Lake...xc in Yosemite Backpacking 0
scatman Grizzly Lake - September 7, 2022 Backpacking 31
P Yellowstone, one night by a lake Backpacking 19
kwc A Few More Photos from Scatman’s Grizzly Lake trip … Backpacking 3
P Scatman's Grizzly Lake hike, 2022 Backpacking 28
P Yellowstone--Heart Lake to South Entrance Backpacking 13
scatman Shoshone Lake Lollipop Loop - Yellowstone National Park - July 24, 2022 Backpacking 63
T How big are the Mirror Lake campgrounds in the Porkies? Trip Planning 6
Georgia Yankee Apostle Islands, Lake Superior (again), June 2022 On The Water 4
kwc Adirondack Hike to Middle Lake Hiking & Camping 0