I think backcountrypost is going to outlast backcountry.com

REI is in trouble as well... People dont want to hike anymore unless they are following influencers...

These companies come and go. There were really good companies, producing really good products that arent around anymore.... big player buyouts to streamline and reduce competition.....

Last edited:
REI used to have a bucket of camp spoons for like $0.89 each, now it's individually packaged spoons for $7 a piece. and unending glamping gear.

In reference to REI. I first shopped there in the 1970's and found their customer support to be first rate. Over the years that support slowly deteriorated. About a year ago, the plastic clip on my REI pack's chest strap failed: that happens. However, when I contacted REI to get a replacement part for a pack still selling in their stores and online, they said the part was not available. They suggested I buy a new pack due to the failure of a $0.10 piece of plastic. I found another solution to fix the problem and still use the pack, but the chances of buying anything in the future from them are nil.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Bob
Personally I have never bought anything from REI. Always find what I want other places, usually cheaper.

Our local REI has some fantastic sales people and I try to support the store (I recently bought a pair of black diamond trekking poles there) but I do find their prices to be quite high.

I have been an REI member for 54 or 55 years and zero complaints. That said, my purchases there have been minimal the last couple of years. Being a true co-op, dispersal of that concern would be problematic.

I bought enough gear at REI one year to be able to get a high dollar pair of binoculars with my dividends. It’s funny, because I don’t shop there anymore at all, but that’s partly because I don’t need anything. But it’s also partly because I don’t fit into their target audience anymore.

I actually sold off most of my camping gear, excluding a nice springbar outfiter tent, which is still for sale if anyone’s interested. It’s brand new and never used. I’ve gotten to where I prefer to dsy hike. But I’m lucky to live in the center of incredible country where I can be in pristine wilderness in a very short time.

I think there’s also something else going on here. I follow the photography forums and a lot of people are going back to film cameras. It almost seems like people are tired of social media and plastic and influencers and all that and are looking for simplicity..

And good riddance to backcountry.com

REI is a pretty good resource for hikers who travel a lot. I like that I can buy an item here in town, but exchange it Bozeman, Salt Lake or Denver if I have an issue.

That being said, I mainly use them for consumables like backpacking food or fuel canisters. Occasionally, I'll buy clothing or shoes they have on sale. All of the big ticket items I prefer can be bought directly from the companies who make them, and they last for years. The location we have locally has some pretty good folks that have worked there for a while, but we have a few mom & pop places in town that I try to support when I need something.

REI is in trouble as well... People dont want to hike anymore unless they are following influencers...

These companies come and go. There were really good companies, producing really good products that arent around anymore.... big player buyouts to streamline and reduce competition.....
Eh, there are more small cottage manufacturers than ever right now and you can get more innovative/custom gear now than any time in history.

There is a ton of companies. Used to go to the Outdsoor Retailer Show in SLC. Took 2 days to go thru the whole show lookinjg at all the commpanies offerings...

Hopefully BCP outlasts backcountry.com. This quote from the current Grand Gulch thread illustrates why BCP is such a great resource:
"Hi there, so sick my first post on here is getting such respectful and useful input. Thank you!"
I have shopped online at backcountry, but not in recent years, as the trademarking incident soured me on that, and also the deals have become less common. We still pop into REI while passing though SLC on desert trips, and as @regehr mentions, it seems to me that they are losing quite a bit of their original focus. That was one of the factors that led to the sad demise of the Mountain Equipment Co-Op in Canada, which is now owned by private equity and is a shadow of it's former self. I no longer even think about buying outdoor gear there.

Thank goodness for REI-brand backpacks. I don't know why, but no other companies' packs are comfortable on me, even though I've tried (Osprey, Deuter, Gregory, etc.) when I needed to replace my 70L one from 2013. Nowadays, their largest pack isn't large enough for a trip we hope to do next summer (Alaska), so I don't know what I'll do. I might use my son's currently unused 80L from 2013...

I was sad when Kirkhams closed five years back. That was my favorite place to buy new gear and they had a great selection of repair supplies and a whole operation where they would patch and re-sew any gear that you broke on the trail.

Now I buy online or at REI. REI seems to be chasing "fashion influencers" which is something I hear young people do these days, but there's still a nice little telemark ski shop hidden away in the dark corners of the store.

Back