I have a dream...

Nick

-
It's not a noble dream like the one that made the title of this thread famous, but it is a dream none the less. I want to do an epic point-to-lake backpacking trip where I start somewhere in the Glen Canyon region and travel through some epic, seldom-travelled terrain, eventually ending at Lake Powell where I will have coerced my lovely wife (and some friends) to pick me (and hopefully some friends) up in our boat where the route ends at the lake. The epic backpacking trip would be quickly followed by a gluttonous, cooler and bbq-fueled series of nights camping on the beach before heading back. There would be a lot of moving parts and logistics to work out, but if I can lay out the right route, it could be pretty epic.

So with that said, I'm soliciting advice on this. My thought right now is to head out at Crack in the Wall and over to Steven's Canyon. Make it up to the Waterpocket Fold and then south to the lake. There are two nice looking canyons heading south to the main channel there: Bowns and Navajo. Googling these canyons yields nothing. Does anyone know anything about them? Or maybe know of books that may have info? Bowns looks like it has plenty of water, Navajo not so much. I'm mostly curious if there are any known routes in/out of these canyons. The tops look like no-go's to get in, so it would have to be further down, or be technical. Hell, the bottom into the lake might be technical, depending on water levels. Any info would be much appreciated.

Any suggestions on other areas/canyons to consider would also be great. I'm particularly interested in canyons that might otherwise rarely be hiked or just so long that an out and back would deter most.

Bowns:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/37°22'08.3"N 110°52'42.7"W/@37.3669356,-110.878605,2063m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

A few years ago, we backpacked a good portion of Aztec Creek and across Cummings Mesa to Wetherill Canyon. I've always wanted to go back and complete the route to be picked up at Rainbow Bridge or else continue down Wetherill to the lake.

The canyon system west of Bowns looks mas sexy. There is a good sized pool at the north end if you zoom in, and appears to have enough greenery to always have at least a bit of water. If the scree pile doesn't lead down at north end of the canyon, it looks like it would be way easy to get down here (37.433952, -110.851316), and if not, I guarantee getting down this sloty looking spot here (37.424355, -110.847680) would be easy.

I'd be pumped to handle the hip belay/exploration.

There are boats parked at the lake near the end of that canyon too. Too easy.

Should we just plan on doing this the 4-5 days before our planned trip in June? SOUNDS GOOD TO ME!!!

Sounds exciting.

There seems to be an obstacle near the lower end of Long Canyon (aka Navajo Creek):

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/1269771

It does look scenic though:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/1267797

I'm pretty sure Cow Canyon and Explorer Canyon to the west are walkable, but if memory serves only one has a route in except for via very bottom. And... I think Kelsey was the one to detail this route and I seem to remember by his comments thinking it could be sketchy (eg "a hardy hiker can make the climb with a short rope" -- which translates for me to "damn scary!" ) BUT... my memory could fail me.

- JG

Sounds exciting.

There seems to be an obstacle near the lower end of Long Canyon (aka Navajo Creek):

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/1269771

It does look scenic though:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/1267797

I'm pretty sure Cow Canyon and Explorer Canyon to the west are walkable, but if memory serves only one has a route in except for via very bottom. And... I think Kelsey was the one to detail this route and I seem to remember by his comments thinking it could be sketchy (eg "a hardy hiker can make the climb with a short rope" -- which translates for me to "damn scary!" ) BUT... my memory could fail me.

- JG

I saw that while searching through google earth. It's placed a bit off, but the obstacle looks very passable on the RDC side, via scree, and ledges. I'd be willing to gamble on it :)

I love this kind of path finding exploring, but certainly don't have the experience you do Jamal.

OK... curiosity bug bit me so I grabbed Kelsey's Boater's Guide to Lake Powell and found:

Cow Canyon was the one with the exit I remembered. It's in the east fork and he says "Steep Slickrock Route -- 3 people required. 4M rappel down or steep climb up."

Explorer Canyon seems to be a Box Canyon -- but has Zane Grey Arch, a granary and some petroglyphs.

He also covers Bowns and Long Canyons.

There is a long bypass around the Long Canyon obstacle I posted above, but there doesn't appear to be any way out up higher in the canyon. He shows two routes out of Bowns, one from each fork and one (East Fork) that cattle actually used once upon a time.

All these canyons look gorgeous and seem to have ample water based on his findings.

- JG

Hmmm... maybe Bowns is the ticket then. I wouldn't want to do Explorer and Cow with the lake in it's current state. That would be a long, depressing, and probably very difficult walk down the Escalante to the current water level.

Dan - you know it could be like 100 degrees in late June. Crossing the fold could be... interesting. You trying to kill me? :cautious:

@River - I have been planning an Aztec trip since a night around a campfire last March. ;) Time to go look at Navajo Mountain in a different light.

Never trust the panoramio pics...... A lot of them are not in the correct places, some a long ways off. Use Google Earth zoomed in to see.. I have seen Teotn ones in located in the Wind Rivers.... guess it's WY so they are close..... :confused:

Never trust the panoramio pics...... A lot of them are not in the correct places, some a long ways off. Use Google Earth zoomed in to see.. I have seen Teotn ones in located in the Wind Rivers.... guess it's WY so they are close..... :confused:

Definitely. There is a Panoramino photo on the fold listed as "Grand Canyon, AZ." The one Jamal posted is near the spot it's posted, but a good 50-100 yards off where it actually lies.

I've been looking at this canyon a lot, and I would be real comfortable trying to access long canyon here (37.433952, -110.851316). The slope appears to go down, with plenty of shelf like stops in the sandstone. I want to try, bad.

Go down canyon about a mile.....lot less slope to drop in

513604.00 m E 4141355.00 m N . Looking at it again ????. I'd probably, maybe short rope.
513221.53 m E 4139109.99 m N
513573.74 m E 4138462.47 m N

Man -- I'd love to explore those canyons!

I 'm really not much of a climber, but I wouldn't be too optimistic about hiking in/out of upper Long Canyon. The fact that Kelsey doesn't note any exits I think is semi telling, but it also looks like tough terrain based on this look from the top of Cow Canyon nearby:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/42346034

(Yeah... don't get me started about the inaccuracy of Panoramio! It's really becoming a pain to weed though all the misplaced photos. There's a picture of Bryce pinned in Zion which is labeled Grand Canyon! But, I still find it useful when items are fairly well placed. I just wish I could "hide" select photos.)

Back to the area... I just stumbled across another interesting spot nearby... check out the HUGE potholes/pools in this unnamed canyon. There's a string of them looking to be about 80' across each. They all look like candidates for best swimming hole. But, it looks like it would verly likely take some gear to get in/out of there.

- JG

I think the fun of this trip might be looking for ways down, worrying about water, not knowing where it will finally drop down. Although Kelsey didn't mention an exit for Long/Navajo canyon, I bet for sure there is an easy way down. If not though? Just walk over to Bown and head down that. The fun of this area is that there is no path, just a bunch of slickrock and open desert to get lost in. I want to get lost...