How to prepare for Subway/Orderville/etc

RyanP

I am considering doing a trip centered around some of the easier technical/semi-technical Zion canyons such as the top-down versions of Subway and Orderville Canyon. Unfortunately, I have no canyoneering (or rappelling) experience (other than a few of the easier non-technical canyons like the Zion Narrows (top-down) and Little Wild Horse), and I don't know exactly where to get started.

1. If I were to buy my own gear (rather than rent/borrow), what gear would I need to buy? If you could please list the gear items I would need (rope, harness, belay device, wetsuit, ...?), along with how much I should expect to pay for them, I would greatly appreciate it! In my dreams, this would be the first of many such trips, but in reality (I live in Denver and have young kids), I won't be using said gear more than once per year or so at most going forward, so I'm trying to decide if this is even worth it.

2. Everyone seems to recommend doing canyons like these with a more experienced partner if it is your first time. Unfortunately, I don't have a more experienced partner, so I was hoping I could pick some beginner-friendly canyons and just gradually work my way up (similar to how I learned backpacking skills). Is that a reasonable plan? Are these routes easy enough that I could just research the routes, and practice rappelling here locally, and then attempt these canyons? Or would I need to take a class first to safely attempt these canyons?

3. Along those lines, if anyone has any recommendations for better introductions to technical canyoneering, please let me know.

Thanks!

I've done the Subway top down 7 or 8 times and several other more technical Zion canyons. I've also done quite a bit in other areas of the state where anchors aren't as well established. I haven't done Orderville. That said...

The basics you need are rope, harness, descender and a locking carabiner. Some people would say a helmet but I don't think that's horribly necessary in the Subway or Orderville (although I'd still bring mine). There are lots of variations of these things out there. Most will work fine for easier canyons like you describe.

You should use static rope for canyoneering. It doesn't stretch so you don't load the anchors as much. It also doesn't soak up water. All of my ropes are from Canyoneering USA. I have a 65 or 70 foot length of Canyon Fire 8mm rope for the Subway and I use the thicker 9mm Canyonero rope for bigger rappels. I don't like the skinnier rope for big raps because you don't have as much friction. More important for larger folks on bigger rappels.

For a descender, something as basic as a figure 8 or ATC would do the job, but they're not the best tool for canyoneering. An ATC XP gives more friction options, but even better, something like the Petzl Pirana or the Sterling ATS. I used a Pirana for quite a while and now I prefer the Sterling ATS. More serious canyoneers may prefer some of the newer options like the Crittr or the Skwerl. I'm probably spelling those wrong but go look on Canyoneering USA and do some research to find what you like. The Sterling ATS is a solid choice though. I've read the critter and squirrel are maybe better for more advanced users but I'm not that into canyoneering anymore so take that for what it's worth.

Any climbing harness will be okay but if you plan to do more, you may want to consider something that will hold up to the abuse better. I use a Black Diamond Momentum (I think) because it comes in 2XL. It's not that durable for scraping over rocks. I replace it fairly often when I'm doing canyons more frequently. The safety aspect doesn't degrade fast, just the decorative comfortable parts.

You'll also want to have some other things around, just in case. Some extra webbing if you find an anchor that is not suitable. Unlikely on a heavily traveled 'trade route' like in Zion, but I always carry some. It comes in handy. Black is the best color. One time we lost a rope and had to take everyone's pieces of webbing, cord, etc. to make a 120 foot 'smorgascord' to make it so our one remaining rope could still get us out of the canyon. Without that, we would have been spending the night. It's also good to have a couple extra quick links for anchoring and an extra locking biner or two. I also carry a spare descender. People sometimes lose them in pools, etc.

As for gaining experience, I'll tell you what you've heard. You may not have a friend who does it, but it's easy to make friends in the canyoneering community. Or if that's not your cup of tea, go hire a guide for a day. North Wash Outfitters is closer to you and they could take you out and show you the ropes in the eastern part of the state. Or in Zion, Zion Adventure Company (ZAC) or any of the others would probably be fine. Take a course from them and you should be ready to hit the subway the next day. Or just do a ton of research, watch videos and learn the skills and equipment in a controlled environment. Your back yard or on a hill near your house. Just remember, people have died in the Subway in a similar situation. Not that long ago a retired couple took a course from ZAC so they could do the Subway. On the last rap, they chose the wrong anchor, following the watercourse over a waterfall rather than using the bolts they didn't notice off to the side. His wife made it down but when he went, the safety device ZAC taught him got jammed in his descender. He got stuck hanging in a waterfall right there above the iconic section of the Subway. It's not even a big drop. He cut his harness and got his foot caught as he slipped out. From what I remember, he was close enough to the ground that his face was at the same level as his wife's on the ground. He died there and she had to leave him and walk out. She spent the night in the canyon alone. The next day his body was still there as canyoneers came through and the recovery was underway. I bring that up just to remind you that while these canyons don't seem like a huge deal, being prepared is. Whatever way you choose to 'learn the ropes', make sure you've got it dialed before you head out.

I would also recommended taking a canyoneering course if you are serious about it. I took one and feel like it was worth it. They teach you a lot of different things you might not be aware as far the gear and technical aspects go. When I did the Subway we caught up to a group at the first rappel that had never done a canyon before. They weren't even sure how to use a belay device. They asked our group how to use the belay devices. If they would have run into some bad webbing they would not have known how to inspect or replace it safely. You could also look into some meetup groups that are willing to take beginners along, that way you have some more experienced people around.

Just in case it's unclear, a descender is the same thing as a belay device. In climbing applications you belay with it. In canyoneering you descend.

Agree about getting some professional instruction if experienced friends aren't available. Rappelling has a number of seriously bad failure modes and you want to have everything dialed before you're trying to setup at an awkward anchor while getting sprayed with cold water and it's almost night.

Re kids, canyons with kids are great once yours are just a bit older. I've been taking my kids to Zion since before they could walk and places like the east-side canyons (Many Pools, etc.) are basically just giant playgrounds. Last spring a friend and I took 4 kids 11-16 through the subway and it was super amazing for everyone.

If you're planning to do something like the subway alone, I'd suggest reserving an extra spot or two and then a few days/weeks out, post here (and maybe other places) with your plans and it's always possible someone will be able to join you!

Wow, thanks for the detailed (and quick) replies! Nick, thanks especially for the detailed gear descriptions/list. I'll look into these when I get a chance, then maybe revive this thread with follow-up questions if I have any.