How many packs do you have?

NormalT

I curious as to how many backpacks you all have?
Reason I am asking is I bought a Osprey Exos 38 and thought it would be plenty for what I need. I've gone on a couple solo trips and it's been fine. I just packed for a weekend trip with my little boy (10 y/o) I obviously packed more in my pack so he can save energy.
I started thinking tonight that I should sell the pack and get a 50L, but thought I'd ask here first. I like the pack I have for solo trips or ones with friends where we don't rely on each other for stuff. If I go with my son I really need a bigger pack!
Do I just buy a bigger pack and keep the smaller or do most of you find its better to have a bigger pack even though you don't use all the space?
Thanks for any help!

I like to hang on to packs to use them as loaners or in case I decided to use them someday. I've only sold one and thrown away a handful after taking them canyoneering too much. Otherwise I keep them all. They fill up most of a closet. So I think you know my answer - keep the pack and add to your collection!

Two currently but my Osprey Atmos 65 has seen better days. I'm on the fence about replacing it.

Not counting my wife's packs, I hold onto a 28L day pack, a 38L winter day pack/overnight pack, and 50L and 65L packs for longer trips. I never seem to use the 50L though. Seems like I either go with the 36L or 65L. I agree with Nick though, you're better off holding onto packs so you have options when packing for a trip.

2012 Osprey hydration pack for MTB'ing. Constant use. Basic, does the job.

2015 Osprey Talon day pack. Frequent use. Quite happy with this one, carries well, bigger, high tech.

1999 Arcteryx Khamsin 38. Semi retired. Super basic.

2000 Arcteryx Khamsin 52. Early UL design. So-so in comfort. Just retired, replaced by...

2016 Seek Outside Unaweep 60. Latest backpack. Promising

2002 Gregory Denali 100. Very infrequent use. Excellent mega load hauler.

Besides those above, I've also used packs from:

More Gregory packs, including a 1987 Cassin.
Berghaus. British maker of fine mountain gear.
Lowe. Used to be the bomb diggity.
Fjällräven. Swedish; more fashion than function these days.
Dana. Neve got along with Gleason's designs.
Metolius. Cragging packs.
Yates. Small CA maker of high end sh!t.

I have an old Gregory that I still have, from the late 70's. Heavy but beautifully made. I believe one of the first internal frame packs, I bought it at the first Gregory store in San Diego.
I have a couple of Arcteryx packs, a small 2 day pack, and a unique water proof pack, not a good pack. I use it for canoe trips now.
My pack I currently use is an Osprey Atmos 50, which I love.

I have my main Gregory pack, a smaller one for my son, and 3 day packs...5 total.

I have several packs. I like to have a few extras around in case we take others out with us.

I have a Gregory Snow Creek from '84 that is still my main backpacking pack, a Gregory Denali that I bought to replace the Snow Creek but I don't like it as much so it is a backup. I also have a Kelty Redwing in camo for hunting, an REI 50 L for day hikes, a Wild Country day pack used mainly to store stuff now. My son has a Gregory Wander 70 L backpack and a book bag/day hiker, my daughter has an REI backpack and a book bag/day hiker, my wife has 2 backpacks and 1 day pack and I can't remember what type. Our dog Willow has hiking panniers also. So 13 in the family.

I agree with those that hang onto packs to loan out.

Reactions: Ben
3. But I'm relatively new to the game. I've never thrown one out. Osprey Atmos 65, Osprey Raptor 10, and an Eddie Bauer Bacon. They're all pretty much indispensable.

I'm amazed you guys know the year of your packs!

I remember it because it was such a big investment in quality gear, and it was my first such investment. At the same time, I also bought a Marmot tent, a Moonstone sleeping bag, and a Thermarest pad. Prior to that it was army surplus or Sears/JCPenney stuff.

So I guess there's 4 things in my life I remember. The year I was married, my kid's birth years/days, and when I bought my first quality pieces of backpacking gear.

Hmmm...

My first pack was a Gregory Pailsade 80L. That was overkill once I upgraded to lighter gear and stopped taking stupid stuff.

I then bought a Deuter ActLite 65+10L. Much lighter and a better fit.

I also have an Osprey Stratos 36L, a Gregory Miwok 18L, REI Flash 18L, an Osprey Synchro 15L, and a couple Patagonia Slings.

I like having packs of varying sizes so I can pick the best one for the trip, hike, or day out. It's also nice to have an extra pack to lend out if I bring a friend.

More than I would like to admit!

I have a one that does about 35-40 liters that I use for 1-2 night light weight trips in the summer season. I have another at 48-50 liters that sees the most use. I use it for my Spring and Fall trips when I need to carry a bit more warmth, and for extended trips in the summer where I need the extra space for extra food, etc, or when i just want to carry a few more luxuries and so on. If I had to keep only one, that would be the one I keep. I also recently acquired a whopping 90L pack. This is what I used for our family trip last week as I had to carry 3 sleeping bags, a tent, my hammock, and larger cook kit, and lots of other family gear. I can only see myself using it for similar family trips where I'm hauling a lot more gear than just for myself, and possibly on any potential mid-winter trips, but even then, I think my 48L pack will be sufficient now that I recently got a 0 degree down bag for winter use. Prior to that, I only had a 0 degree synthetic bag for winter use and that think took up about 2/3 the space I had in my 48L pack so...yeah, as others have said, keep your other pack if you really like it, and then get yourself a bigger pack for family trips until your kid(s) are old enough to carry all their own gear.

Granite Gear Vapor Trail for shorter trips
Granite Gear Latitude Vapor for longer trips
Rokk for backpack hunting
Pacific Crest for working Ski races
Eddie Bauer for day hikes
North Face for day hikes

I have 14 packs that I just counted including day packs one canoe portage pack and all the packs I bought for my kids and wife and some older Kelty packs but in good shape I will give away to a Y camp someday. Main pack is a Circuit. New day pack I just picked up for biking too an Osprey Talon 22. This is fun! Next pack will be an OHM2.0. My Circuits a little to big for overnight and weekend trips.