Hop Valley in Zion

Howells Outdoors

Adventure is my middle name...actually it's Keith.
All the photos from the trip are on my blog, but I'll spare you and give you just the ones I like the most.

The first few miles of Hop Valley are a sandy, sagebrush flat. I personally find it gorgeous, but I like the small details of the Silvery Lupine and the few strong Ponderosa Pines and the chunks of land covered in Gamble Oak (I'm weird I guess). Look at it:

IMG_4342.jpg

IMG_4374.jpg

IMG_4379.jpg

IMG_4381.jpg

IMG_4361.jpg

The purpose of the trip was to train the next batch of Adventure Orientation Leaders at SUU. We wanted to train these students to be comfortable taking a group of 10 incoming students out on a 4 day adventure in southern Utah. They all passed.

We covered quite a few topics: map and compass, Leave No Trace, clothing/equipment and weather, injury and emergencies, and to have fun in the backcountry.

IMG_4354.jpg

IMG_4478.jpg

It was a really fun trip. I love taking new people out and helping them understand the impacts that they make and the great places they could get. The three that were brand spanking new to The Great Outdoors got a great appreciation of Leave No Trace.

We saw this guy pass us -- when we were mending the "broken" ankle -- who was carrying a gallon jug of water in his hand as he hiked. Later we found the gallon jug discarded on the the trailside. Now, I understand that sometimes you drop things, but a gallon jug that you have been carrying in your hand through the hike...

Can't win em all. But here are a few more people who have a great training in Leave No Trace. And Briget, the director of the SUU Outdoor Engagement Center, is a superior LNT person.

I love Hop Valley. I think it is so gorgeous, but I have only been there during the spring before the cattle go to the pasture.

IMG_4377.jpg

IMG_4397.jpg

IMG_4405.jpg

IMG_4412.jpg

IMG_4414.jpg

We spent the first night at campsite A in Hop Valley. It's a nice Ponderosa grove next to the creek. You get a wide variety of vegetation in Hop Valley and I love it.

IMG_4438.jpg

IMG_4436.jpg

We explored the small drainage by the camp as the sun was beginning to set.

IMG_4446.jpg

IMG_4452.jpg

Then night came. I captured this photo that night.

IMG_4563.jpg

Then the next morning we took off for our campsite in La Verkin Creek. The overlook into La Verkin is one of my favorites. Remember that this was a training for these students and it was simply a short walk down the trail. There are a lot of gorgeous flowers out right now. Then we explored up Kolob Arch.

IMG_4490.jpg

IMG_4504.jpg

IMG_4527.jpg

IMG_4517.jpg
IMG_4513.jpg

IMG_4529.jpg
IMG_4541.jpg
IMG_4557.jpg

After that myself and the other two trainers took off back for campsite A and up to the vans in the morning to pick up the future trainers at Lee's Pass.

It was such a great trip. I'm happy that it is in SUU's backyard and that I get to help train people in the greatest classroom.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Awesome trip and great pics. Thanks for all you do to educate the next generation and protect these amazing lands.

Last march i hiked just about the whole way across the park, and Hop Valley was the best thing i saw the whole way. Wish i'd've been camped there for two nights. I also wondered if spring's the best time to see it. We were there march 28 i guess.

I need to get into to Hop Valley. That is beautiful.

Last march i hiked just about the whole way across the park, and Hop Valley was the best thing i saw the whole way. Wish i'd've been camped there for two nights. I also wondered if spring's the best time to see it. We were there march 28 i guess.
I think spring is the best time. Fall might AMAZING, if the cows haven't left their mark everywhere.
I need to get into to Hop Valley. That is beautiful.
Yes you do!

Reactions: Ben
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Yvonne Kolob Terrace exploration: from Hop Valley to North Gate Peaks, May 2019 Hiking & Camping 7
tflaris Kolob Canyon/Hop Valley Hiking & Camping 1
cmgz Hop Valley Snow Hiking & Camping 8
steve Kolob Canyon to Hop Valley Backpacking 11
regehr kayaking death valley On The Water 1
balzaccom Death Valley in January Hiking & Camping 3
B March at Valley of Fire other recommendations in the area Trip Planning 7
BobFink Mirror Plateau via Pelican Valley and Pelican Creek, July / August 2023 Backpacking 12
Ugly Headless Valley- Film about traveling the Nahanni River General Discussion 5
TractorDoc Cuyahoga Valley National Park (again!) 06/04/2023 Hiking & Camping 6
TractorDoc Cuyahoga Valley National Park 05/28/2023 Hiking & Camping 20
wsp_scott Yosemite Valley 2022 Backpacking 12
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. The Second Half. Backpacking 15
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. Part One of Two. Backpacking 61
D Onion Valley to Whitney Backpacking 7
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Hayden Valley, Trout Creek, Beach Lake, and Arnica Creek Meadows. September 11, 2022. Hiking & Camping 7
RyanP Goblin Valley SP Expansion General Discussion 3
K Hello from the Salt Lake Valley Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
balzaccom Death Valley again Hiking & Camping 0
T Death valley Trip Planning 3
WasatchWill WRHR: Day 3 - 'Desolation Valley' to Halls Lake Backpacking 15
WasatchWill WRHR: Day 2 - Cirque of the Towers to 'Desolation Valley' Backpacking 28
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Hayden Valley in a Day -- September 17 2021 Hiking & Camping 27
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. Upper Monarch Canyon plus. Dec 1, 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. A Black Mtns and Canyons Traverse Nov 30, 2021 Hiking & Camping 2
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. 6 Days hiking. Nov 14-19, 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
scatman Hayden Valley Loop - Yellowstone National Park - September 17, 2021 Hiking & Camping 34
travel2walk Lamar River, Pelican Valley, & Speciman Ridge loop - Yellowstone, Jun 29 to Jul 3, 2021 Backpacking 15
J Death Valley National Park and Area Mountain Rambles Dec. 16-17, 2020 Hiking & Camping 0
J Death Valley Natl. Pk: Funeral Pk, Slit Canyon, and Big Dune. Dec 21-22, 2020 Hiking & Camping 1
J Death Valley NP Black Mountains and beyond Hiking Dec 19-20, 2020 Hiking & Camping 1
Burrito Death Valley van trip turns into something pretty special General Discussion 7
beaver-one Yellowstone advice: Lamar River - Pelican Valley - Mirror Plateau loop this summer Trip Planning 6
TheMountainRabbit Lamar River, Mirror Plateau, and Pelican Valley (Yellowstone NP) - mid-September 2020 Backpacking 28
balzaccom Death Valley again Hiking & Camping 4
Arizona Jones Willow Valley Loop Hike, Arizona Canyoneering 8
Miya Death Valley Birthday - Part 2 (3.7.20-03.8.20) Backpacking 15
A Info on Tehipite Valley Trip Planning 1
Miya Death Valley Birthday - Part 1 (3.5.20-3.6.20) Hiking & Camping 28
Kullaberg63 Pack Creek to Castle Valley - below the rim. Backpacking 0
westy Meadow Valley Mountains Backpacking 7
westy Meadow Valley Mountains Hiking & Camping 2
Scott Chandler Death Valley Trip Planning 7
J Death Valley National Park Keene Canyon-Wonder Mine Loop. Dec. 3, 2019 Hiking & Camping 1
J Death Valley Natl Pk Ibex Peak, Jubliee Mtn, Virgin Springs summits Dec. 2, 2019 Hiking & Camping 0
J Death Valley NP: Corkscrew and Artist Palette Peaks, scramble dayhikes Nov 2019 Hiking & Camping 1
J Death Valley NP. Marble-Cottonwood (side slot) lollipop loop Nov 17-19,2019 Backpacking 10
S Backcountry camping tips for Wind Rivers - upper Green River valley via canoe Trip Planning 5
fossana Browns Point > Summit > Whipple loop (Pine Valley Mountains Wilderness, UT) Hiking & Camping 1
swmalone Questions about Lamar Valley Hikes Trip Planning 9