Hiking naked in Utah

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

JulieKT

I've seen nekkid sunbathers several times down Pleasant Creek Canyon in Capitol Reef. I think 4 or 5 times over the years. The fact that I was always with guests made it even more entertaining, lol. Always women, just hanging out by the creek topless. Each time they were right on the trail and seemed utterly startled that anyone else would be there. It would have been very easy to just go around one curve of the creek to be totally hidden by the trees, but apparently none of them thought anyone would be on the trail, let alone a group of people on horseback suddenly rounding the corner.

I also had guests once who, when we reached our destination of a mountain lake at about 9,000 feet on the Boulder, told me the husband liked to skinny dip in each lake they adventured to on their vacations and his wife (who thought he was crazy but indulged it) would take his picture. So I dutifully turned my back and cleaned my nails or something while he stripped down, leapt into the lake, yelled because it was icy cold, got his picture taken, and then bolted right back out to dry off and dress again. They were really cool people, actually.

And I also have friends who have seen naked hikers in a few of the local little strolls around Torrey, like Holt Draw (just past the overflow campsite outside the park). Those were men in their altogether, marching along wearing daypacks. I'm pretty sure she said this was in a cold month, too. Who knows what their motivation was. I hike there all the time and have never seen anything similar, for which I must say I'm rather glad.

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

Rockskipper

No ETA
I think I told this story before, but I was with the official photographer of a large government agency in Black Dragon Canyon to take some official photos (I was just along for the ride). There were several people there at the petros - one was an older well-endowed woman who was topless and acting like she wasn't (i.e., talking to anyone and everyone as if it was normal to run around half-naked).

It was actually pretty funny, as my friend is a fairly straight-laced guy and was visibly embarrassed.

Last edited:

Curt

I just ran across this thread. Maybe the most entertaining thread on the website! It's been many years since I've encountered anyone in the buff in the back country. But when I was in HS and college it happened several times. Took me by surprise every time - them too. All of those were in New Mexico in various places in the State. That was in the late 60's and through the decade of the 70's. Maybe a more liberated time and a more laid back place.

Tipi Walter

This sure isn't a Southeast/Appalachian website as most of the posts come from out West---but here in the TN and NC mountains and along wilderness creeks we all used to skinny dip in the 1970s and 1980s and no one thought much about it---then things started changing.

A gotcha culture started emerging---I had a friend who skinny dipped in a lake in the 1990s and someone complained and he got put on some kind of watch list as a predator---absurd.

Nowadays I'm very careful on my backpacking trips to stay in my patagonia underwear which look like swim trunks when I go swimming or take a bath.

Bob

Trailmaster
Naked hiking. ..... Or how to ruin it visually for others. .. my opinion... Not going to argue it

Watch out for @slc_dan.

I tried it once in the mountains in Logan Canyon. This was many years ago and I had a crush on a girl at the time who said she liked to do it, so hey, I should try it so we can do it together! Not 2 minutes after stripping down and putting my pack back on, a moose nearly runs me down. I know clothes do not protect from a moose, but it made me feel way too vulnerable and I quickly put them back on.

I've never encountered a naked hiker myself though, aside from a very interesting experience in the winds, but she wasn't hiking, she was taking a bath in an ice cold lake and having fun showing off. Memories...
Well if the moose somehow happened to make you crap yourself there will be minimal clean up lol

Udink

Keep going.
I had my first nude outdoor encounter just this summer...and I was the nude person! It was in the middle of a nine-day camping trip and also the first time I showered in my camp trailer. After I showered on Boulder Mountain I went for a little walk around our campsite wearing nothing but socks and shoes. There was nobody around and it felt pretty liberating despite being totally out-of-character for me.

Nick

Spiral out.
I took a shower standing next to my truck under a new moon in Butler Wash back in March. It was incredible!! Great because it was my first shower in 6+ days, but man, showering with a cocktail under the starry night sky is something else. Gotta make a point to do that more often.