Hiking naked in Utah

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

Nick

Spiral out.
I must have deliberately blocked this from my memory, but I did run into a couple of german guys sunbathing nude on a beach in Death Hollow once. We saw them from high on the BMT and had dreams of them being gorgeous women who would invite us to camp with them. Oh the disappointment when we rounded that bend. Thanks for digging that up for me...

b.stark

Forever Wandering
You won't catch me hiking naked in Utah or anywhere else. I even wear shorts on the (very) rare occasion I get in the water. So far been fortunate enough to never meet anybody naked on the trail.

There was that one time I saw a guy with a blow up doll strapped to his pack though...

mike_offerman

My son and I were in Grand Gulch in the spring a few years ago. We had hiked cross country out to the bottom and came back up the canyon. We had seen no one and no footprints as we were hiking. A bit after Shaw Arch we started to see some backpacks and random clothes scattered about, then we turned a corner and a ways up the canyon were probably a half dozen naked college girls having fun playing in the sun and the stream. I believe what my son (around 15 at the time) said was that this was the worst thing ever! Only probably because I was there! Of course there was no way around them, so we made some noise as we hiked toward them. Once they saw us they scattered like mice into the bushes and behind rocks. One girl ran up the canyon to warn some others farther up. They were good at hiding and never made a sound as we passed. Thinking back, I should have said that there was a bunch more people behind us and had them hide for a good long time!

WasatchWill

Ready For More
Not yet seen anyone actually hiking on the trail, but my first time at 5th Water Hot Spring a group of older horseback riders (2 guys and a woman) pulled over at pool lower than my group and proceeded to strip everything away. Another time at the same location a couple years ago, I had camped out around there and woke up before the sun rose to get some pictures before the crowds came up and filled it in. There was one guy who appeared to have slept the night in the buff on a rock slab. Thankfully he was front side down. When I was in high school, a friend and I went up hiking Battle Creek Canyon above Pleasant Grove, Utah. At the falls up there, we encountered a couple girls from our school who were sunbathing topless and freaked out when they saw us coming down the falls. As shocked as we were, I think they were more shocked and quick to cover up which was puzzling, given how popular of a spot that is for so many to hike to but it was as if they weren't expecting anyone else to drop by.

After all that and a number of unplanned encounters with nudity while out and about as a missionary in New Zealand (these are stories of themselves) and then later on, taking my wife and baby daughter at the time for a visit to Miami's South Beach where I did not know it was a top optional beach for women, such encounters with nudity in public places seem a lot less awkward now.

Given how many people now like to pose nude for Instagram shots, modeling portfolios, etc, out in backcountry places all in the name of art or naturalism, I suppose it's only inevitable that if one hikes enough and is prone to wander around and explore a lot, you'll encounter some of this. There seems to be a movement of women who like to bare their chests once they reach a summit, so if you like to bag lots of peaks, prospects may be higher for encountering some of that too.

wabenho

I took a date on a hike up to the waterfall at the end of Adams Canyon a few years back. Due to a cliff jutting out from the side of the canyon on the same side of the creek as the trail, you can't see the waterfall until you are almost there. Right at the end of the hike you cross the creek and you don't really see the waterfall until you are about half way across. Because of the waterfall in the box canyon you cant really hear anything but rushing water. As my date and I rounded the cliff and the waterfall came into view we noticed a couple taking pictures. It wasn't until we successfully navigated the slippery rocks and arrived on the far bank of the creek that we noticed the woman was naked and the man was taking pictures of her in different poses. We we kind of shocked but they weren't phased a bit and just kept taking pictures. After a few minutes of feeling awkward, we scrambled up the side of the canyon where there is a view of the valley, and hung out there for a while. By the time we came back down into the canyon, they were gone. Can't say if she hiked naked, but was definitely in her birthday suit for the photo shoot.

Windy

I remember one time hiking in the Uintas. We had camped at North Twin Lake. I was sipping my coffee and walked down to a cliff that looked over the lake. A girl on the far side came out of the woods and stripped down and went for a swim. My GF and I watched as she quickly jumped out as it must have been pretty cold. It was pretty funny, she had no idea we were right there. Another time rafting the Selway we came through Cupboard creek rapid and below was a family camped out on the trail side. The daughter was sunbathing topless and all of a sudden 16 people that came out of nowhere were starring at her from the water, she woke up and ran away screaming across the beach.

Deleted User

Deleted User
Fifth Water Hot Springs Trail here in Utah is where I have seen people hiking naked. That is the only time on trail I have ran into that. But I have been at many alpine lakes and seen people skinny dipping in lakes, hot springs and rivers. Its the wild, so I don't pay it much mind. On long trips i'll jump in a lake in the buff after four or five days. Its so refreshing. But on trail I almost never see it.

b.stark

Forever Wandering
It was a group hiking for a bachelor's party, and they had thoughtfully gotten the bachelor some companionship for the trip!

Outdoor_Fool

On long trips I'll jump in a lake in the buff after four or five days. Its so refreshing.
Absolutely this!! I jumped into Ortenburger Lake a couple of autumns ago. Cold!! but delightful. After a week in the Bob Marshall, Gibson Reservoir was an absolute delight!

When I worked in Katmai and Kenai Fjords, the northern Pacific was my bath tub. Makes for a quick bath; oh but it feels great when you're out and drying off.

While rafting the Gulkana River about 15 years ago, a woman in her 20's(?) came rafting along topless. We were fishing at the time she passed by. She didn't bat an eye.

scatman

Absolutely this!! I jumped into Ortenburger Lake a couple of autumns ago. Cold!! but delightful. After a week in the Bob Marshall, Gibson Reservoir was an absolute delight!

When I worked in Katmai and Kenai Fjords, the northern Pacific was my bath tub. Makes for a quick bath; oh but it feels great when you're out and drying off.

While rafting the Gulkana River about 15 years ago, a woman in her 20's(?) came rafting along topless. We were fishing at the time she passed by. She didn't bat an eye.
Back in the 90's, I jumped in the western end of Gibson Reservoir near the K-L Ranch, after a week long backpacking trip to the Chinese Wall at the end of September. It had snowed the night before and without question, Gibson Reservoir was the coldest water I have ever been in. When I jumped in, it literally took my breathe away.

Jazzy Joe

Joe Roper
Not something I would ever think about doing but I mean to each their own. I can kind of understand it if you're wet or its just really hot out.

The first time I went hiking in willow gulch It was over 100 degrees out and my wife and I saw a group of dudes hiking naked round a curve in the canyon. Once they saw us they darted back down stream a little and we saw them clothed about a minute later. Must have not expected anyone else out in that heat.

gnwatts

A jump into Phelps Lake? on our way up Death Canyon in the Tetons. It was super hot and we could not resist this rock. She was my sort of girl friend, but I lost her to the gentleman next to her by the end of the hike at Jenny Lake.
Technically not hiking I guess.

teton 3-2.jpg

Last edited:

WasatchWill

Ready For More
Not something I would ever think about doing but I mean to each their own. I can kind of understand it if you're wet or its just really hot out.

The first time I went hiking in willow gulch It was over 100 degrees out and my wife and I saw a group of dudes hiking naked round a curve in the canyon. Once they saw us they darted back down stream a little and we saw them clothed about a minute later. Must have not expected anyone else out in that heat.
Had my 11 year old daughter (now 12) down there this last June. Glad we didn't encounter the same. That would have made it real awkward for her. :eek:

PreGeezer

Not very many places to hide a pistol nave a knife or two. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk