High Creek: April 14-15

Deadeye008

Hambone
Took my boy up to High Creek in Cache Valley for an overnighter. I had a new sleeping pad I wanted to try out and I also wanted to do a little fishing. High Creek fit the bill. Despite what the meteorologists predicted, we didn't get a drop of rain the entire time up there. It did get pretty chilly at night(the thermometer on my Jeep read 32F around 6:30am) but it was right around 60F in the day, perfect. The fish were a little stingy but I managed to bring one to hand and missed about a half dozen others. I was planning on doing some long exposure shots of the creek but forgot my ND filter. I decided to give it a shot anyway but could only get a max shutter length of about .8 seconds. The shots turned out ok for not having an ND filter but I won't make the mistake of forgetting my filter again anytime soon. Here's some pics.

IMG_4616.jpg by Deadeye008, on Flickr

IMG_4621.jpg by Deadeye008, on Flickr

IMG_4623.jpg by Deadeye008, on Flickr

IMG_4627.jpg by Deadeye008, on Flickr

IMG_4637.jpg by Deadeye008, on Flickr

IMG_4642.jpg by Deadeye008, on Flickr

Featured image for slideshow:
slide.jpg

Man those pictures are nice. I went to college in Logan and went back to finish my MBA a few years ago. Sure do miss that little valley sometimes.

Awesome! So was this just in the lower section of High Creek? Is the road clear up to the trailhead yet? Looking forwards to hearing how the pad worked.

Awesome! So was this just in the lower section of High Creek? Is the road clear up to the trailhead yet? Looking forwards to hearing how the pad worked.

We camped at the spot just after the cattle guard in the lower section but on Sunday we made our way fishing/driving all the way up to where the toilet/bridge is(the bridge is still under construction). The gate there at that point in the road was closed. I can't remember if this is where the trailhead to High Creek Lake is but from what I recall, it is. I was surprised at the lack of snow in the mountains on the High Creek side. I bet the trail up to High Creek Lake is 90% clear if not all the way clear. The pad worked great. I'll post a review when I get a chance here in the next couple of days but I was very impressed with it and slept very well/warm even with it not being insulated and the temps getting down to freezing.

Man those pictures are nice. I went to college in Logan and went back to finish my MBA a few years ago. Sure do miss that little valley sometimes.

We used to have our family reunions at High Creek when I was groing up. I also went to school at USU and this was one of my favorite places to fish. I'd move back to Cache Valley in a heartbeat if I could find a decent job there.

Yep, I would move back again if there was work.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
fossana Pine Creek/Granite Park fall excursion (High Sierra) Hiking & Camping 14
Joey Yellowstone's Crescent Lake, High Lake, and Specimen Creek Backpacking 32
Gary High Uintas Wilderness Rock Creek Basin Trip Planning 8
Nick High Creek to Cherry Creek Backpacking 0
Nick High Creek, Mount Naomi Wilderness Backpacking 1
HomerJ Cherry Peak via High Creek - July 2010 Hiking & Camping 5
TheMountainRabbit Dana Meadows to Twin Lakes via the High Route (Yosemite/Hoover Wilderness) - August 2023 Backpacking 8
meowtaingal Wind river high route mid september Trip Planning 7
Timber High Sierra - North Lake to South Lake Loop - Layover Day Trip Planning 9
Kullaberg63 Gore high traverse Backpacking 11
Parma Camping with a double high air mattress? General Discussion 2
travel2walk preventing high altitude (khumbu) cough techniques? Resource Discussions 2
NorthwestWanderer First time in the High Uintas | Red Castle SNEAK Loop | I give these mountains 5 out of 5 stars Backpacking 7
NorthwestWanderer 8 Day High Sierra trek : Humphreys Basin, Star Col, Granite Park, Lake Italy & Piute Canyon 6/25-7/2/22 Backpacking 7
TheMountainRabbit Red's Meadow to Tuolumne Meadows via the High Route (Ansel Adams/Yosemite Wilderness) - August 2022 Backpacking 5
Bob Teton Wilderness - 50 miles of High Country - Aug 2022 Backpacking 45
TrailScot "I'll take the High Road ..." - A Loop Hike around the Canyons of Needles - May 2022 Trip Reports 14
balzaccom My second mystery novel set in the High Sierra is now out! General Discussion 6
balzaccom Gibbs Lake, High Sierra Backpacking 2
fossana Palisades Roundabout (High Sierra) Backpacking 12
fossana Evolution Loop (High Sierra) Hiking & Camping 10
N Gilbert Meadows- High Uintas Trip Planning 0
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Norway, Lysefjorden/Kjerag/Kjerag Waterfall/Kjeragbolten, 4 days Solo Hiking high above the Norwegian Fjords Trip Reports 2
balzaccom Mystery set in the High Sierra General Discussion 4
WasatchWill The High Uintas 4-4-4: Four Basins, Four Passes, Four Days Backpacking 20
C High Uintas Wilderness - Last minute plans Trip Planning 4
Mountain Wanderer High Uintas Wilderness - Granddaddy Basin Backpacking 4
Tarp Boy High Sierra Camp Loop, Yosemite, CA Trip Reports 5
fossana A taste of the GR11: 6 Days on the Travesía Pirenaica (High Pyrenees, Spain) Backpacking 18
Born to Hike Mountain Solitude: Reconnaissance Lake, High Uintas, early Sept 2019 Backpacking 9
fossana Bear Lakes > Royce Lakes overnighter (High Sierra) Backpacking 12
DrNed Plan B to High Uintas Backpacking Trip Planning 20
Dave High Uinta sheep grazing EIS General Discussion 2
J Cali: Cinder Cones, High Sierra Rambles, Famous Domes Oct 26-31, 2018 Hiking & Camping 3
R Psuedoephedrine at high altitude General Discussion 6
David Rule High Peaks Wilderness-August 2018 Backpacking 1
Boognish Four days in the High Sierra Backpacking 10
Born to Hike Clements Lake and East Basin in the High Uintas, mid-July 2018 Backpacking 6
scatman High Sierra Trail Backpacking 23
D Wind River High Route Trip Planning 4
LarryBoy Absarokas Fun Route - 12 Days of High Adventure Backpacking 21
Ross High Spur and North Wash Canyoneering 5
westy High Uintas - West Basin Backpacking 0
George_Washington_Hayduke High Uintas: Allen Lake and Thunderstorms Backpacking 0
westy High Uintas - Henry's, Painter, Yellowstone, Smith's Backpacking 5
westy High Uintas - Middle Basin Backpacking 5
Luke High elevation uinta campgrounds/lakes General Discussion 9
S Central Utah high alpine suggestions Trip Planning 2
N Which High Uintas overnight hike? Trip Planning 2
mattvogt7 High Water Bruneau On The Water 8