Heugh's Canyon

scatman

After work yesterday, I hiked up Heugh's Canyon which is the first canyon to the south of Mount Olympus. I started the hike about 6:15 and went until 7:30 where I turned around so that I could make it back to the trailhead before dark.

The trail up the canyon is easy to follow, even on the snowy sections. There were four trees along the way that had been blown down in the big storm from two days back. Along the way, there is a small waterfall that is worth stopping and enjoying before heading further up. As I made my way up the trail, I eventually ran into snow and when I decided to turn around it was about fourteen inches deep in spots and the trail was getting extremely steep.

I was hoping to determine if this might be a potential route up Mount Olympus, but I didn't get far enough to make that determination. Maybe some Salt Lake locals could chime in and let me know if this is possible. I'll have to return in a couple of weeks when the snow has melted and see what I can find out.

When I arrived back at the trailhead, the sun was setting over the Salt Lake.

Heughs_01.jpg
Looking up towards Heugh's Canyon

Heughs_02.jpg
Near the trailhead

Heughs_03.jpg
View from the trail

Heughs_04.jpg
View from the trail - looking north

Heughs_05.jpg
Blow down from recent storm

Heughs_06.jpg
View from the trail - looking south

Heughs_07.jpg
View from the trail - looking southeast

Heughs_08.jpg
View from the trail - looking northwest

Heughs_09.jpg
View from the trail

Heughs_10.jpg
View from the trail - looking north

Heughs_11.jpg
Footbridge over stream

Heughs_12.jpg
View to the north

Heughs_13.jpg
Beginning to get steep

Heughs_14.jpg
Small waterfall along the route

Heughs_16.jpg
View from the trail - looking northwest

Heughs_17.jpg View from the trail - looking north

Heughs_18.jpg
View back down the canyon towards the Salt Lake Valley

Heughs_19.jpg
Definitely getting steeper!

Heughs_20.jpg
South canyon wall closing in

Heughs_21.jpg
The view from where I stopped and turned around.

Heughs_22.jpg
View from my turn around point back towards the valley

Heughs_23.jpg
Putting the micro-spikes on for the descent

Heughs_24.jpg
Another view towards the valley on the way down

Heughs_25.jpg
Sunset at the trailhead

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Weren't there trailhead access problems in the past? Is there good access w/o trespassing now?

Weren't there trailhead access problems in the past? Is there good access w/o trespassing now?

It's true that you can't park at the trailhead because it is located on a private lane, nor can you park on the lane (Canyon Winds Lane) itself. You can park on Oak Canyon Drive and it's my understanding that you can walk up the lane to the trailhead. That is what I did anyway. Obviously, you need to respect the landowners wishes and stay on the road.

Fun canyon! I went up there several years ago and had a great time. You forgot to mention the prospect holes and old mining traces that are still up there.

I didn't forget. I just plain didn't know! :) Give us some more details on these holes and traces. You know when I was on the saddle of Mount Olympus looking down on Heugh's Canyon, it looked like there was an old road heading up one of the ridges. I assumed it was something to do with the extraction industry but didn't really know.

I didn't forget. I just plain didn't know! :) Give us some more details on these holes and traces. You know when I was on the saddle of Mount Olympus looking down on Heugh's Canyon, it looked like there was an old road heading up one of the ridges. I assumed it was something to do with the extraction industry but didn't really know.
The prospect holes aren't much. The ones I know about are only a few feet deep. You probably walked right by them. They're a few feet off of the trail on the north side. There's also a hole bored through the rock near the waterfall (one of the waterfalls?) on the south side that has pipe running though it. You probably saw a pipe or two on the way up.