Henry's Fork (3 day Uintas trip)

Tye Dye Twins

Life has sure had it's up's and down's this past August. My mom turned 50, my grampa on my dads side recently passed at 99! , old friends from the past have been coming out of the wood work just about everywhere in my life.

With life coming at us fast,, it was time to slow things down and get in one celebratory adventure. So last August my twin (the photographer), Cory and I headed up to Henry's Fork in the Uintas for 3 days. The plan was to travel 7+ miles a day, visiting Dollar Lake and Cliff Lake in Henry's fork.

The troops making progress in the 1st few minutes of a long 7 mile day in Henery's Fork.
IMG_0017_zps8086d183.jpg

Several miles later we hit the infamous elk horn crossing.
IMG_0022_zps2f6989ca.jpg

Upper henry's was finally in view.
IMG_0045_zpsea76907f.jpg

Even a few miles more and it still looked the same. The view of Kings Peak kept spirits high.
IMG_0047_zps3f73acbd.jpg

Thanks to local fire restrictions we had to camp .25 miles away from Dollar Lake, making a water refill a half mile journey!
IMG_0059_zps9ae0e3da.jpg

Dollar Lake, not a single fish or bite was found here. Some anglers on the trail claimed they caught lake trout there. I suspected something was amiss and sure enough their pics were of really fat brook trout. Cool but not as cool as lakers.
IMG_0066_zps34045981.jpg

DAY 2

The next morning we had plans to leave camp in place and hike an additional 7 miles round trip to Cliff Lake. The views just outside of camp were outstanding!
IMG_0069_zps66ea8ec1.jpg

Cory and myself hiking Henry's Fork en route to Cliff Lake. We had to hike beyond the ridge in the "right foreground".
IMG_0092_zpsd00412bd.jpg

We passed an old cabin on the way over to Cliff Lake. Not a bad place to set up shop!
IMG_0123_zps093877e2.jpg

Henry's Lake was one of many lakes we passed up fishing on the way to Cliff Lake.
IMG_0132_zps2c022233.jpg

Lake Blanchard was another lake that we passed up enroute to Cliff Lake.
IMG_0142_zpse752122f.jpg

The trail was a mix of brush.....
IMG_0139_zpscb88d167.jpg

.........and high alpine tundra.
IMG_0145_zps78c69697.jpg

Finally Cliff lake was found.
IMG_0201_zpsabfd9cb6.jpg

The Tiger Trout that called this place home were plentiful and colorful!
IMG_0217_zps3736a46c.jpg

IMG_0225_zps64af70e0.jpg

IMG_0241_zpsd71ee4fe.jpg

IMG_0252_zps943d65ee.jpg

IMG_0241_zpsd71ee4fe.jpg

IMG_0260_zpsae5686e5.jpg

IMG_0293_zps1aee1abf.jpg

IMG_0298_zps527af8c2.jpg

IMG_0310_zps51da8d4d.jpg

IMG_0318_zpse94377cd.jpg

IMG_0326_zpse3335b13.jpg

IMG_0267_zpsb04e629c.jpg

Myself making a few final casts before the long walk ahead.
IMG_0330_zps38b06b24.jpg

Myself getting the hike down started.
IMG_0340_zpsa2c27264.jpg

Cory and I felt like ants among-st giants
IMG_0354_zpsacc6947a.jpg

The views were expansive
IMG_0377_zps6ee546ed.jpg

And some parts were down right bush wacky!
IMG_0383_zps9aad7333.jpg

Every bushwhack has its rewards!
IMG_0397_zps10379d64.jpg

Finally back on trail.
IMG_0405_zps3f72c0b7.jpg

Still many more miles to go though.
IMG_0409_zps8eeb05bb.jpg

Cory and I approaching the Red Wall on the hike back to camp.
IMG_0417_zpsedb3e0e2.jpg

A mile later that bitch still looked the same.
IMG_0426_zps5d7e7ca4.jpg

The only thing caught at Dollar Lake was a sunset shot.
IMG_0427_zps9278be16.jpg

DAY 3

My twin and I slept in till the sun was warm, Cory tried Dollar Lake for the morning shift. Same result, no fish
IMG_0449_zps50840780.jpg

Car bound on the old dusty trail.
IMG_0450_zps180c5576.jpg

Making headway on the long walk to the car.
IMG_0468_zpsa55512f3.jpg

The infamous elk horn crossing.
IMG_0472_zps28f89f32.jpg

One last view of the place we had called home for 3 days.
IMG_0467_zpsf1b65d45.jpg

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

A new place to add to my Uintas "to do list." My fishing experience in the Uintas is pretty minimal, but I've got to say those are some nice sized fish. I"ve never pulled anything that big or colorful!

What an awesome looking trip and great scenery. Glad the fish won on day 1 though ;)

A new place to add to my Uintas "to do list." My fishing experience in the Uintas is pretty minimal, but I've got to say those are some nice sized fish. I"ve never pulled anything that big or colorful!
I know of a few good spots in the uintas but much like cliff and dollar lake its usually rumor chasing....which doesn't always end well.

killer post! I'm hoping to have just an fraction of success as you guys had your trip. Headed out this weekend for my first go at that Uinta's!

Great photos!
I was in most of those same spots August 13-16. We camped between Henry's Fk lake and Lake Blanchard.
We didn't get any of those Tigers though...they look amazing!

Last edited:
Another killer trip report. Those are some gorgeous tigers. I've always avoided Henry's Fork due to the King's Peak crowds, but it looks like I've been missing out.

killer post! I'm hoping to have just an fraction of success as you guys had your trip. Headed out this weekend for my first go at that Uinta's!

Good luck and be safe. You're likely to encounter snow depending on where you go. I had scattered patches a week ago around 10,500 feet but I've heard there's snowcap on the peaks now.

Give 'em hell man!

Great photos!
I was in most of those same spots August 13-16. We camped between Henry's Fk lake and Lake Blanchard.
We didn't get any of those Tigers though...they look amazing!
We were there August 1st thru August 3rd. We were actually expecting large Cutthroat trout in Cliff. We had heard that Tiger Trout had been introduced to Cliff a few years ago so it was nice to see some size to them already. Not a single cutthroat trout was caught though.

Another killer trip report. Those are some gorgeous tigers. I've always avoided Henry's Fork due to the King's Peak crowds, but it looks like I've been missing out.
Oh it was SUPER crowded the 1st night. Several camp fires were just 30 yards away in every direction. By night 2, we were almost alone near Dollar Lake.

Never would have suspected fish like that up at those higher lakes above tree line. Those are some beauties! That is a big basin. Dollar Lake has great camp sites surrounding it, but if it were that crowded, I know of a few others with a view way off trail, away from the crowded areas, and still close to water.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

You've already got me dreaming about my trips next year.

Awesome fish and awesome trip. I haven't really considered this area of the Uintas because of the crowds, but it looks really nice. Classic Uinta scenery. In typical Uinta fashion it seems easy enough to find some solitude if you really want it.