"Hell Throughout" Trail

Miya

Because I am able.
Hello All!

Went hiking today. The plan was to do Murietta Falls Trail, Livermore California. It is just over 6 miles one way with an accumulative elevation gain of 4,000 ft. I am constantly looking for new challenges and I had heard that this was a toughie.

I normally start hiking anywhere from 04:30 - 6:00, in hopes of seeing wildlife, cooler temperatures, and I don't like large crowds. However, this recreation area doesn't open till 7:00! I don't think we even started hiking until 7:45, maybe 8. Unfortunately, the 12 mile plan was doomed from the start. As soon as I got out of my friend's truck, I realized that I didn't have my knee brace. :( But I was determined to at least get in a few miles (we ended up just doing 6.2).

So after I attempted to chase around these Turkeys (they were everywhere, upwards of 30 or 40) for one decent shot, and failed, we decided it was time to get going.

Murietta Falls.jpg

Murietta Falls-2.jpg

Murietta Falls-4.jpg

"Dear heavens and universe, please let me reach the top of this hill."
We hadn't even hit two miles and we were struggling. I tend to do pretty well with steep inclines now, so my friend trailed pretty far behind. However, it always works out because my knee reaches excruciating levels of pain on the way DOWN, so we even out.

Murietta Falls-5.jpg

Murietta Falls-8.jpg

Moon, still high in the sky (well sorta).

Murietta Falls-7.jpg

Potty! *Runs excitedly and opens door*. Turned back around and peed behind a tree instead. :p

Murietta Falls-9.jpg

This tree was so beautiful. Of course, we have both seen much larger trees, living near Giant Sequoias and Redwoods, but there was something wonderful about this tree. It was fantastically decrepit, such character and anguish.

Murietta Falls-15.jpg

Murietta Falls-13.jpg

By mile three, we were going down a steep incline and I had to tie my sweat/snot rag tightly around my knee. It helped, but I knew we still had the entire way back to the truck which would be much steeper. We found a perfect little sit spot and settled down for snacks and photo time! I let my friend Bobbi know that I had to call it quits after our break, but she was more than willing to go back.

Teeny Tiny Trickling.

Murietta Falls-16.jpg

Moss and itsy bitsy flowers are a personal fave of mine. I cannot wait till I can afford a better Macro lens! :)

Murietta Falls-17.jpg

Murietta Falls-19.jpg

This is my Lego persona. I have started taking her hiking with me (when I remember), and take photos of her once I make it to the destination. You can't see it, but she has a unicorn tail.

Murietta Falls-18.jpg

Murietta Falls-20.jpg

Murietta Falls-21.jpg

Bobbi was very thrilled by this large leaf.

Murietta Falls-24.jpg

Then it was selfie time and snacks!

Me and Bobbi 7.jpg

Me and Bobbi 2.jpg

Me and Bobbi.jpg

Murietta Falls-27.jpg

Murietta Falls-32.jpg

Bobbi was amazing enough to see this little guy from 15 feet away while we ate and it crawled through the water and leaves. Even with my prescription sunglasses, I am blind haha.

Murietta Falls-28.jpg

Murietta Falls-29.jpg

Murietta Falls-30.jpg

Murietta Falls-31.jpg

I feel like...I am attaching too many pictures. Almost done, bear with me! So we ate and headed back. We were very luckily, because lately it has been horrifically sunny running near the 80s (I like the cold), but today, we had a nice overcast. I like this bird, thinking he is so cool, chillin' sideways.

Murietta Falls-35.jpg

I was truly struggling to make it back to the truck. Pretty much walking sideways and biting my lip the whole time. Every person we passed had trekking poles and I thought, "well this definitely would have been a good time for me to try them for the first time!"
I let Bobbi know I NEEDED a stick, or else we were going to have to stop every 10 - 15ft. She did her best to find one and even offered to strip a fallen branch, but I told her no. If mother nature wanted me to have one, she was going to have to present it to me and have it be ready for my use! Hah! And...holy crap, not 20ft after that, we found me the PERFECT stick. It was even shaped like a cane! I don't think I have ever had anything ever work out that nicely for me before. I was so grateful and we made it back to the truck pretty quickly after that. As much as I wanted to keep the cane, I left it behind to be a miracle for someone else.

Murietta Falls-37.jpg

Murietta Falls-39.jpg

Alright, thanks for sticking to the end! Long, wonderful day! Time to rest this knee. I haven't been sore from a hike in a long time, but I have a feeling I am going to be rolling out of bed tomorrow.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have my knees, no problem going up and hell going down. I just got hiking poles and find they help a lot.

Nice salamander

This cracked me up! :D I have a friend that I backpack with occasionally, who brings a Lego Lord Business with him. At some point during the trip he will try and hide him in other peoples' gear, plus he will always comment that " Lord Business isn't happy!" when we reach a rough stretch along our route. It brings a smile to my face to think that there are two of you out there. :)

You can just make out Lord Business's head after he was sneaked into my bear bag before hoisting it up the bear pole
Lord_B_01.jpg

Lord Business isn't happy! It downpoured on us all day. :mad:
Lord_B_02.jpg

Lord Business is a bit chilly. :cold:
Lord_B_04.jpg

Last edited:
Sure seems like knees are an equal opportunity curse. I’m an old guy but have had cat-fits knees as long as I can remember. Nice pics and report! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can just make out Lord Business's head after he was sneaked into my bear bag before hoisting it up the bear pole

Does your bear bag have a window?

Sounds like you have my knees, no problem going up and hell going down. I just got hiking poles and find they help a lot.

Nice salamander

Have you ever gone to the doctor for it?
I have a longer hike in May and am thinking I should go in and see if they can recommend a better brace or maybe some exercises I can do at the gym to help it.

This cracked me up! :D I have a friend that I backpack with occasionally, who brings a Lego Lord Business with him. At some point during the trip he will try and hide him in other peoples' gear, plus he will always comment that " Lord Business isn't happy!" when we reach a rough stretch along our route. It brings a smile to my face to think that there are two of you out there. :)

View attachment 61564

Lord Business isn't happy! It downpoured on us all day. :mad:
View attachment 61565

Lord Business is a bit chilly. :cold:
View attachment 61566

Haha that is awesome! Legos make a wonderful hiking partner. UL and don't talk too much haha

Does your bear bag have a window?

Yes, a plastic one in the yellow dry bag. It's hard to differentiate it from the plastic garbage bag that is hanging next to it. I like to see what food is just out of my reach! :)

Reactions: Ben
I have a longer hike in May and am thinking I should go in and see if they can recommend a better brace or maybe some exercises I can do at the gym to help it.

My girlfriend has had a knee bother her. A couple years ago she spent some time going to a physical therapist before we did a five week trip doing some backpacking, and it made a huge difference for her. Mostly they just had her do a specific set of exercises for it, but they also showed her how to tape it a certain way when she hikes.

I second trekking poles. So much less stress on the joints on the downhill. Plus they can be a lifesaver if you're on something really steep with poor footing. Worth every penny I paid for em.

One of my knees was injured in a drinking accident when I was twenty, basically I was drunk and stepped off a 6 foot retaining wall and it has never been the same since, lucky I didn't do more damage.

I've found that if I am good about climbing stairs, it works all the support muscles and I do a lot better both going up and going down. There is a 20 story office tower on campus (~250 feet elevation) and if I climb both up and down a couple times a week I am usually in reasonable shape meaning I can handle 3000 foot gains/descents with a pack and not feel like collapsing in a puddle :)

The hiking poles help on both the ups and the downs. I got them on MassDrop for about $60, I think it is a regular offering. I can find a link if you would like.

I have always had bad knees, more often my right, but my left one will lock too and I will crumple to the floor just the same. I was born knock-kneed and got to wear special shoes as a baby, but they probably should have had me strapped up like Forrest Gump. I can see that when I hike and get tired, my right knee is noticeably misaligned with my foot. The pain only reveals itself when I go downhill though, and it isn't actually my knee, but that..cartilidge...tendon? idk, but it is behind my knee.

Ben - thanks for that! I really think knowing how to wrap my knee correctly and firmly would help with whatever misalignment is happening there.

Wsp and Larry - I actually have two pairs of trekking poles! I just haven't used them yet, they are still tagged even. We plan on going back to this trail to try and conquer it, and I will DEFINTELY bring my poles and brace. :p

I liked the salamander photos too. The bird is a White-breasted Nuthatch. We have those around here too. One of my favorites.

I've had trouble with knees too. A couple years ago my wife had knee surgery and afterwards the surgeon suggested that she take glucosamine tablets. He said that they would help and no prescription is needed. She took them for a little while and didn't think they were helping. I started taking them at the same time and haven't stopped cause I think they really have helped me. I see some recommendations up above for using hiking poles. I agree. I never go backpacking with out them, and if I'm not carrying a pack I still bring them if the route is steep or the footing is poor.

I liked the salamander photos too. The bird is a White-breasted Nuthatch. We have those around here too. One of my favorites.

I've had trouble with knees too. A couple years ago my wife had knee surgery and afterwards the surgeon suggested that she take glucosamine tablets. He said that they would help and no prescription is needed. She took them for a little while and didn't think they were helping. I started taking them at the same time and haven't stopped cause I think they really have helped me. I see some recommendations up above for using hiking poles. I agree. I never go backpacking with out them, and if I'm not carrying a pack I still bring them if the route is steep or the footing is poor.

Thanks, looks he is either a Rough Skinned Newt or a California Newt, looks more like rough skinned, but they aren't recorded as living where we found it.
Aww thanks, I never know what birds are what. Really wish I had my longer lens to get more up close, but it was cute to see.

Trekking poles will definitely start being added to my list of must haves!

What trailhead did you start from?

Ohlone Wilderness Trailhead. The trail is actually 28 miles, but they require you to get an overnight permit like 5 days in advance and then you wait for it in the mail :( I will probably head back for some bag nights if it would just cool down over here.

Please do a hike to Morgan Territory and take lots of photos. Reliving my past life...:wavespin:

Please do a hike to Morgan Territory and take lots of photos. Reliving my past life...:wavespin:

Oooooh will do! Any particular trail?? Looks like Morgan Territory covers a lot of land....??