Heading to St George

Andy

Hi I'm heading down to st George the first week of may for work I was wondering if there is some good hikes down there that I could do with my family (wife 2 kids 4 year old and 18 month old) also we might camp out for our last night down there which is a sat night and am wondering if there is some good spots (car camping) that we could stay at I hate having to pay for a camping spot which means I'm not by trailer campers. Lol

I'm not very familiar with the stuff right around St. George, but Zion is really close and would have plenty of options that time of year. Same for the Kolob area just up the hill. As for camping, there's good stuff on the road that heads west out of Leed's that loops back to St. George. I've never driven the whole road but from Leed's to Yant Flat there are quite a few good spots. I bet blueeyes, Seldom Seen Anderson and Miss Buffalo might have suggestions closer to St. George.

Snow Canyon is fun with little ones. Couple short hikes like Jenny's Canyon that goes back into a small slot kids love this. Or the sand dunes they love playing in it. Or just stopping near some of the sandstone rocks and letting them crawl around on them. Also the lava tubes are a great hike for smaller kids. Johnson's Arch is a good hike but has restrictions during certain times of year. I think it is only $6 for a car for the day. Check out Snow Canyon website for more information on all of those hikes.

In downtown St. George they have the carousel with water fountain kids play in right next to it. Kinda fun for little ones. Also park on Cotton Wood Cove park on South Dixie Dr. is a fun park for kids. Small climbing wall and fun toys.

Pioneer park! That is the one with DIXIE written on the rock can't miss it. Fun place to scramble around on dare ya to find the slot over there and if you do dare you to shimmy up it. I barely made it, kids can do it without problem.

I agree with Pioneer Park, lot of fun stuff there.
And Snow Canyon has a lot of short hikes that are not too strenuous and kid friendly. I think the kids will also love the dunes.
Also Red Cliffs Recreation Area is a good spot and with the warm temperatures heading out way it will be nice to cool off in the water.

I have only camped in the Yant area so far and in some of the developed campgrounds like Snow Canyon, Red Cliffs and Sand Hollow. So I can't give any recommendations about dispersed camping now.

Cool thanks for all the advise I will deffinetly check some of these out

I live in the area and have kids and we're always looking for a nice hike. One hike in Zion that my kids love and ask to do in the summer is shelf canyon. It's just past the 1st tunnel, and there is a great desciption here:http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-park-trails-pine.htm I might wait until May for that one though. It gets chilly in there even in the hot summer.

In March, the Quail Creek hike at the Red Cliffs Desert Reserve in Leeds is great. There are some moki steps that can be tricky for kids, but they really look worse than they are only because you've got little ones and you've got your dad hat on. They aren't bad and the rope that is up on top helps when you've got a kid on your back.

2x on Pioneer Park... great place to spend an afternoon. Especially if its a bit chilly out. And the ancestor square is close by, with the carousel and water fountains and lawn for playing frisbee.

Also, Jenny's Canyon, or any of the hikes in Snow Canyon.

Let us know how it goes, and how your kids react. I hope you have great weather when you are down.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

If you go downtown to the carousel stop by Judd's 62 W Tabernacle. Cute mercantile that has penny candy (maybe not penny prices anymore) ice cream, great breaksticks!! Love that place.