Hammocks- the thread

uintahiker

Adventure Guru
I've been thinking of getting a hammock. Just wondering about what kind to get. I'm not so much interested in sleeping in it, but hanging around at home and camp sounds like a great way to go. I've tried several kinds- the backyard kind made out of ropes that is held open by a spreader bar, a woven fabric type from South America, and one of woven nylon thread from Mexico. By far and away, the best type I've tried was the woven nylon thread hammock. I don't have experience with the parachute material type. From my perspecive, there's advantages and disadvantages to each type. Any recommendations? Oh, and @Nick, I'd be happy to write a gear review if you could help acquire a test model.;)

I just bought an ENO DoubleNest from REI during their sale as a total impulse buy on my way to Moab last week. I also picked up the Atlas Strap set. I didn't use it in Moab but napped in my backyard for a couple hours - I back it. It is the parachute material. I could hang out in it with my wife if I wanted, plenty of room. Alot of extra room if you want to sprawl out on an angle and have the fabric drape over you a bit and nap. The best part is it packs into its own stuff sack to the size of a large grapefruit.

Have you tried it with anyone else in it? 4 1/2 feet wide seems a bit small.

I just bought an ENO DoubleNest ... The best part is it packs into its own stuff sack to the size of a large grapefruit.

The superpackability sounds awesome! And the doublenest holds 2, right? I can't get in a hammock without someone else coming over to hang with me.:)

Have you tried it with anyone else in it? 4 1/2 feet wide seems a bit small.

I actually don't own this hammock. I just know that it is cheaper to buy this than it is to make my own. I like my Grand Trunk Hammock, but it is probalby just as large as the walmart one. A friends of mine likes his ENO hammocks. For camping I really like my Hennessy Asmy Hammock, but it is not a lounging hammock.

We made our own; very easy project. Used 4 yards of 1oz HyperD from Ripstop by the Roll. About $25.

We made our own; very easy project. Used 4 yards of 1oz HyperD from Ripstop by the Roll. About $25.
Didn't know about these guys. I've bookmarked the site. I've used Dutchware and DIYGearSupply for most of my DIY materials. Good to know there's another source for a variety of ripstop!

I use to make my own hammocks too... Then I saw that I could by them for less than I could make them... :(

For a full sleep/camping system, DIY can still be cheaper. But for something you can put in a small pocket for simple lounging in your yard, park, or around camp, it is true, you can get them cheaper. While I love my DIY camp hammock, I recently picked up a Grand Trunk Ultralight for $20 and weighs about 13 oz to have something much lighter and packable to take along for lounging on some day hikes and what not. I enjoy it. I'm going to replace its stock suspension with some whoopie slings to make it lighter and easier to pack back into its stuff sack. Grand Trunk also makes a Nano hammock that weighs in at 7 oz, but it is only 4 feet wide by about 9 feet long and costs $60-70. ENO's are cool and all, and very durable I'm sure, but too heavy for my liking and too costly for what they are, IMO. They are a great way to go if you want to start out with something simple, and then build up a modular system with it for full on hammock camping later on if you wanted to, given all the accessories they offer.

This is the hammock I've got, the best part though is these straps. I'm not sure I could sleep in it, but it is nice for
laying around in after a day of hiking with a heavy back and I just want to get off my feet for awhile.

Which leads me to the question, are the sleep system hammocks different in construction than casual hammock?
The reason I could never sleep in mine is I feel like a banana.

Never slept in one any more than napping, but the serious hammockers tell me you have lie diagonally to have a straight'ish back.

Never slept in one any more than napping, but the serious hammockers tell me you have lie diagonally to have a straight'ish back.

This is true. There's quite a science to it. I also sleep with a bit of a pillow under my knees to keep my ankles from compressing into each other. There are some hammocks out there that have a "footbox" that aids in achieving a flatter lay and preventing squished ankles.

Clark Jungle Hammocks are having a sale this 4th of July. They have a new one that can go to ground or hang pretty easy.

I've been hanging for four years now. Made my own version of the warbonnet and my own tarp. I can sleep on my back, sides and stomach comfortably. Unless I use an air mattress, I haven't had a bad nights sleep since.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Thinking more seriously about a double hammock.

Pros/cons to the following:

ENO Doublenest- Nylon 1.6 lb $70 smallest packed size
Grand Trunk Double- Nylon 1.12 lb $70
Thermarest Double Slacker- Polyester 1.7 lb $55

Is there a clearcut winner? Whats the pro's cons of the poly vs nylon? Further insights that I'm missing?

^ Not an expert on hammocks but I know a fair bit. They're my choice for backcountry camping.

Poly stretches less so it will have a firmer feel. Personally If I was looking for a new hammock I'd pass on all of those big name brands and get a dutchware (very popular hammok website) 11' hammock. It will be a lot more comfertable, probably less or around the same weight, and they cost around the same or cheaper. If you have any more questions post them here and I'll try my best to answer, that and check out hammock forums, great hammock camping resource.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know this is an older thread but just wanted to say I picked up an ENO Doublenest during the REI sale. I also picked up the Atlas straps for ease of set-up. So far I have only used it in the yard but it has been fun. My wife and I can both sit or lie in it but I doubt we could both sleep in it. I also really have no intention of using it to sleep in on backpacking trips, although I might bring it along for relaxing in during the day. The fun part is trying to figure out how to set it up at various locations.