Guardsman Pass and the Dying Aspen

Joe

I took mom out for a nice mountain drive today (October 6th). We drove up Big Cottonwood Canyon and had lunch at the Silver Fork Lodge. Afterward, we continued up the canyon towards Brighton, and turned off onto Guardsman Pass.

The first surprise was to see that Guardsman Pass is fully paved now all the way into Park City. The second surprise was to see not the brilliant colors of the changing Aspen, but rather seeing most of the Aspen are dead or dying. I had read of the dying Aspen groves in the Tribune over the past couple years, but I think this was the first time I personally realized just how extensive the problem is. What was once a magnificant drive was a bit alarming this time.

Though I don't want to create a political discussion, one cant halp but acknowledge that a very real problem exists. Whether or not it is within our power to effect change remains to be seen.

We continued our journey via Hwy 40 into Heber and returning via Provo Canyon to home in Pleasant Grove.

Mom is 86 now, and drives like this is the closest she can come to experience the beauty of our mountains.

Joe, I agree about being saddened by the reduction in Aspen health throughout Utah and the mountain west. Parallels the decline in our evergreen forests due to various species of insects.

I haven't been over Gaurdsman Pass since last spring but then there was about 2 miles of gravel road still just north (Park CIty side) of the pass. Is that now paved too? Did you know that there had been a subdivision planned (and may still be planned) just below this section of Gaurdsman's? There is beaucoup private property on the east side of the Wasatch divide. Most of the Gaurdsman's Pass road is on private property.

Art, yes, the road is fully paved now. It tends to take away the remoteness that used to be one of its charms, and obviously increases the traffic flow.

One of John Denver's lyrics repeatedly comes to mind:

Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

I would hope that more and more of these subdivisions that encroach ever higher up the mountains never get built.

They will. The old mining land that didn't go to the forest service will be built out. I'm disappointed to hear they paved it, but it was inevitable ever since the Montage resort was built.

Dang! So, now they can plow it through from PC to BCC in the winter. And, if so, there is no need for SkiLink to connect the two. We will have to use this fact as part of the Stop SkiLink effort. Thanks for the update Joe. More rats in the maze...... And, Asher, you are exactly right it was only a matter of time.

Reactions: Joe
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Ugly the NOT epic- Overnighter by Guardsman Pass- June 2017 Backpacking 16
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
balzaccom Desolation: Rockbound Pass Backpacking 0
Outdoor_Fool Brooks Range trek - Anaktuvuk Pass to the Haul Road - Cancelled Flight - last minute change-up Backpacking 21
shredhiker YNP Fawn Pass to Sportsman, Crescent, Shelf Lake Backpacking 18
uintafly Chepeta Lake to Hayden Pass Trip Planning 0
shredhiker YNP Fawn Pass to Sportsman & Crescent Lake Trip Planning 14
P Season Backcountry Pass at Yellowston General Discussion 9
marquiri Wind River Range - Angel Pass Trip Planning 24
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19
Mikjik86 Another Wind River Trip Planning! Elkhart/Titcomb/Knapsack/Shannons Pass loop back to Elkhart, or continue to Green River Lakes Trailhead? Trip Planning 10
TeamJenkins17 Bonneville Pass - August 2021 Hiking & Camping 6
TeamJenkins17 Looking for info on Clark Creek drainage/Pierpont Pass into Hidden Basin in the Washakie Wilderness Trip Planning 5
C Dinwoody/Bonney Pass Summer Conditions Trip Planning 1
BackpackingtheSierras Republic Pass Trail North Absaroka into Yellowstone Cache Creek and Lamar River Trip Planning 1
marmot_boi Hailey Pass-Cirque of The Towers loop Backpacking 14
NorthwestWanderer Washingtons Okanogan National Forest : PCT/grass hopper pass Backpacking 7
fossana Wire Pass fire (impacting House Rock Rd/Buckskin Gulch) Trip Planning 3
SteveR Blueberry Hill and West Elk Pass, Alberta Winter Sports 1
b.stark Wrangell-St Elias "Seven Pass Route" Backpacking 29
NorthwestWanderer Route Finding adventure, Copper Pass to Blue Lake - Goats, Bears, Lions, Oh my! Backpacking 3
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking the Pasayten Wilderness : Harts Pass, PCT, Windy Pass, Buffalo Pass, Foggy Pass, Jim Pass, Hulman Pass & Rock Pass Meadows Backpacking 3
Perry July 14th Dead Horse Pass Recon Trip Hiking & Camping 10
NorthwestWanderer Dayhike to Gothic Basin & Foggy Pass Hiking & Camping 1
RyanP Texas Pass (Winds) in late July Trip Planning 23
S Washakie: E. Dunoir Creek - Shoshone Pass Info Trip Planning 13
woodmaker_58 Table Mt to Hurricane Pass/ Teton Crest Trail Trip Planning 5
NorthwestWanderer Overnighter in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness : Ingalls Pass and Lake Ingalls Backpacking 9
Rockskipper Snowshed on Red Mountain Pass, Colorado, 3-16-19 General Discussion 7
NorthwestWanderer Washington - 4x4 to Bear Lake & Little Deer Pass Off Road 0
Born to Hike Windriver 36 mile loop: Skull Lake, Washakie Pass, South Fork Lakes, Lizard Head Trail, The Cirque, Big Sandy Lake Backpacking 6
Mikjik86 Backpacking Four Pass Loop Backpacking 2
NorthwestWanderer Copper Pass, North Cascades (Day Hike + Bear sighting) Hiking & Camping 1
Burrito Winds - Pole Creek -> Lester Pass -> Island Lake / Titcomb -> Hobbs Backpacking 7
piper01 Glacier National Park, Part 2: Siyeh Pass (Sept 2017) Hiking & Camping 2
Perry What's this new tower on Bald Mountain Pass? General Discussion 13
pstm13 Texas Pass Cirque of Towers Lower Wind River Range August 2018 Trip Planning 7
stevecochranephotography Wire Pass Trail - Buckskin Gulch, Utah Hiking & Camping 1
powderglut New "23"Destinations Ski Area Pass "Ikon Pass" General Discussion 1
LarryBoy NOT Epic: Catherine Pass Backpacking 6
JoshuaDyal Beckwith Pass in the West Elks Backpacking 0
Lincsco Wind Rivers - Texas Pass Trip Planning 5
Burrito Winds - July 1-3 - Elkhart -> Hobbs -> Lester Pass -> Pole Creek Backpacking 14
SteveR Gunnery Pass-Grass Pass-Fir Creek loop, Alberta Hiking & Camping 7
JDWalters Crow Pass Trail to Raven Glacier (AK) Hiking & Camping 4
SteveR Burstall Pass, Alberta Winter Sports 0
DaveW Uinta Highline - Chepeta Lake to Hayden Pass Backpacking 6
danger02ward Dead horse lake with a visit to continent lake,reconnaissance lake, red knob pass, and allsop pass Backpacking 4
Perry Off Trail Porcupine Pass to Red Castle Lake Trip Planning 5