Ground transportation to Hetch Hetchy Backpackers campground in Yosemite

Jazerrad

My son and I are starting a 200 mile leg of the PCT heading north, starting on a side trail that begins near the O’shaughnessy Dam. Our permit has us starting July 24. I’m having a hard time finding someone to get us there by van or car from either Fresno or Sacramento. I know hitching is an option, but we really need a guaranteed ride so we can get to the permit office before they close the day before. I’ve left a lot of voicemails but have not gotten any responses. Any recommendations for a transportation service that can get me to that part of the park? Unfortunately, YART is not an option :-( They don’t go even close to where we need to be. We have time, but I definitely don’t want to leave this to the last minute either.

Last edited:
I wish i could help--but I'm lecturing at UC Davis that day.

Have you tried posting on High Sierra Topix, or Yosemite News and Discussion boards? Both of them have active communities.

There is a bus from Sacramento to Yosemite Valley, and also, I think, from Fresno to Yosemite Valley. And there is a bus from Yosemite to Sonora that goes right by the turnoff for Hetch-hetchy. Once on that road, you'll have your permits, and getting a ride should be easier. But if i were with my young son, I would want something more organized than hitching...

By the way, if you have a backpacking permit for Yosemite, you can stay overnight in the backpackers campground for one night before your trip...either in Yosemite Valley or Hetch-hetchy. (The other backpacker campgrounds in Yosemite are closed for now---White Wolf and Tuolumne Meadows.)

Actually, now that I think about it, there is a bus from Sonora to Rush Creek Lodge outside of Yosemite (near the turnoff to HH) You can get a taxi there that will take you the rest of the way. So if you can get to Sonora, you should be OK....

You might try posting your question on High Sierra Topix if you haven't already. Unfortunately, you will likely have to be flexible with a shuttle service.

I wish i could help--but I'm lecturing at UC Davis that day.

Have you tried posting on High Sierra Topix, or Yosemite News and Discussion boards? Both of them have active communities.

There is a bus from Sacramento to Yosemite Valley, and also, I think, from Fresno to Yosemite Valley. And there is a bus from Yosemite to Sonora that goes right by the turnoff for Hetch-hetchy. Once on that road, you'll have your permits, and getting a ride should be easier. But if i were with my young son, I would want something more organized than hitching...

By the way, if you have a backpacking permit for Yosemite, you can stay overnight in the backpackers campground for one night before your trip...either in Yosemite Valley or Hetch-hetchy. (The other backpacker campgrounds in Yosemite are closed for now---White Wolf and Tuolumne Meadows.)

Actually, now that I think about it, there is a bus from Sonora to Rush Creek Lodge outside of Yosemite (near the turnoff to HH) You can get a taxi there that will take you the rest of the way. So if you can get to Sonora, you should be OK....
Thank you so much for the local advice! These sound like great ledes. I’ll first check out the Sonora to rush creek bus to see if that’s an option. I think there are rental car agencies in Sonora, so I could possibly rent a car at the airport and drop it off in Sonora and then grab the bus. If that doesn’t pan out then I’ll post on the local boards that you mentioned. Thanks so much and stay cool down there!!

Back