Grand Junction mountain biking

Tyler

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm not sure if there are any other members here besides IntrepidXJ, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the single track in Grand Junction and if they can offer any advice for me to ride with 2-4 hours of time in the evenings and/or mornings? I'll be there later this month and plan to bring my bike along.

I'm not a very technical rider, so I usually stick to the easier trails....but I have hiked a lot of the bike trails around here. There are 3 main areas close to GJ with a bunch of trails at each.

The closest are the Tabeguache Trails (Lunch Loop) and they are a few minutes from downtown GJ. Lots of different trails here, but most are moderate to difficult....nothing really easy. Holy Cross is about an 8 mile loop and one of the favorites.

There's also the Kokopelli Trails near Loma which is about a 20 minute drive from GJ near I70. I usually ride Rustlers Loop out there, which is fun. Horsethief Bench and Moore Fun are a couple other popular ones. Great views over the Colorado River from here.

The last main area is 18 Road which is at the base of the Book Cliffs north of Fruita. 20-30 minutes to get there from GJ. This is mostly smooth and fast single track. Lots of fun. There's a brand new trail called PBR that is supposed to be really fun. I like Kessel Run....but it's a short one.

Make sure to check out gjmountainbiking.com for more info.

How long are you going to be out here for?

Hope this info helps a little :)

Awesome info!

On another topic, my brother lived there about 10 years ago as a missionary and said there was this awesome waterfall/swim area somewhere out near Fruita maybe? He didn't swim it, but has since said he wants to go back and swim it. Do you have any idea what I might be talking about?

I'm not aware of anything like that out near Fruita?

The only local swim hole/waterfall area I know of is known as 'The Potholes' on the Little Dolores River up on Glade Park. I've never gone there, but it's pretty popular...and there's usually a death or two each year from drinking/jumping/high water

If you are staying in Grand Junction .......I would also recommend the Lunch Loop. It is on the road that heads towards the East entrance to the Colorado National Monument. Many folks go to the Lunch Loop on their lunch hour because it is so close to town....yet, not in town. You should check it out......just down the road from me, very popular.
Lunch Loop trail system

Yeah, I've actually driven by that jump area where the lunch loop starts. I'll definitely hot that one up on my next visit.

I'm not aware of anything like that out near Fruita?

The only local swim hole/waterfall area I know of is known as 'The Potholes' on the Little Dolores River up on Glade Park. I've never gone there, but it's pretty popular...and there's usually a death or two each year from drinking/jumping/high water

I don't expect you to know this, but by chance would this be the area they're located?? There is no information out there on how to get to them.

Little Dolores Potholes

Make sure to check out gjmountainbiking.com for more info.

How long are you going to be out here for?

Hope this info helps a little :)

By the way, all of this info helps a ton.

I'll be out Monday/Wed (going down to Montrose/Telluride on Tuesday). Hoping to get a ride in Monday night, then an early morning ride on Wednesday morning before heading out of town. Like I said, if you have an interest in doing any riding, let me know. I'm not a super technical rider either; my bike weighs close to 50 lbs, so I'm a little limited :).

the potholes are easy to get to from GJ or Fruita give a shout and if I can I'll show you the way up there !!!

Lunch Loop is awesome, loved Mary's loop or trail, and I fell in love with the 18 Road area. Think my favorite was Zip-pity Doo-dah!