Grand canyon in February

woodmaker_58

Has anyone hiked down the Tanner trail in February? Is it icy and are microspikes needed to get below the snow line?

Has anyone hiked down the Tanner trail in February? Is it icy and are microspikes needed to get below the snow line?
Disclaimer: I have not been that far up the Tanner Trail so no firsthand experience... but that said...

Looking at the topo, those switchbacks below the rim are directly north facing and aren't going to get a lot of sun in the winter. I was on high, north-facing stuff in the Canyon last March and, despite it being a very light winter, spikes would have been really nice to have. I can't imagine the trail won't be icy in February. But you could definitely call the backcountry permit office and they could give you better advice.

I do wonder if anyone actually goes down the Tanner at that time of year... if there's no traffic and fresh snow, maybe more snow on the ground than ice?

Disclaimer: I have not been that far up the Tanner Trail so no firsthand experience... but that said...

Looking at the topo, those switchbacks below the rim are directly north facing and aren't going to get a lot of sun in the winter. I was on high, north-facing stuff in the Canyon last March and, despite it being a very light winter, spikes would have been really nice to have. I can't imagine the trail won't be icy in February. But you could definitely call the backcountry permit office and they could give you better advice.

I do wonder if anyone actually goes down the Tanner at that time of year... if there's no traffic and fresh snow, maybe more snow on the ground than ice?
I have talked to the Backcountry office ranger and plan to again when I get there to see trail conditions.

Going to page @Curt here. Pretty sure he has hiked this trail in snow, and I recall it wasn't terribly fun. I hiked it down with him on a snow free trip in April a couple years back, and can see sections being pretty sketchy in snow. The first upper part is quite steep.

Went down toward the end of March. We spent the first night at the top of the Red Wall and it snowed on us there. I thought that was going to make the descent off the Red Wall tricky but it wasn't too bad. The snow was gone by the time we got to the bottom of the Red Wall. However, when we came back out 5 days later there was still quite a bit of snow up near the rim and it was packed down on the trail. It was hard going. I didn't have microspikes with me but wished I had. I don't know what we would have done without hiking poles. Mine kept me from falling several times. If you've never been on this trail, what @b.stark said isn't an overstatement. It practically falls off the rim in the first mile and it's steep until you get to the 75 Mile Canyon saddle by Escalante Butte. It's steep again at the Red Wall descent but I doubt you'll have trouble there unless there's an awful lot of snow. If you come back out the same way, you may want to consider cacheing them at the top or the bottom of the Red Wall depending on the conditions. If you're not coming back that way it may be worth cacheing them by the 75 Mile Canyon saddle and then coming back to get them before you leave the Canyon. It's not that far down to the saddle. But it's a lot of effort and every time I've drug myself out of the Canyon I've had no desire to do any more hiking for a while. It would be a hard decision for me whether to carry that extra weight the whole rest of the way or make that nasty climb down and back to get the spikes. The hard decision for me wouldn't be on whether to take them.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
TractorDoc Paintbrush Canyon / Cascade Canyon Loop -- Grand Teton NP September 11, 2023 Hiking & Camping 9
Janice Such a GRAND Canyon - Deer Creek / Tapeats / Thunder River Backpacking 21
M Mee/Knowles Canyon Loop, Grand Junction Colorado Backpacking 4
OldBill Short hike at the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania Hiking & Camping 1
Bob The New Grand Canyon Trip Planning 1
F Grand Canyon hermits rest to granite rapids to bright angel Trip Planning 10
dennisrodman A week in the Grand Canyon / Boucher / Hermit / Tonto Trail Trip Planning 4
futurafree Grand Canyon norovirus General Discussion 6
TrailScot Dripping Canyon to Grand Gulch, Cedar Mesa, Utah - March 2022 Hiking & Camping 7
Kerrie at Thru We Go Grand Canyon Backpack/Packraft Loop at New Hance Backpacking 11
H Access to Grand Gulch via Water Canyon Trip Planning 2
M Grand Canyon NP, Royal Arch Route Backpacking 0
westy Grand Canyon-Parashant NM, Parashant canyon Hiking & Camping 4
marquis20 Day 1: Grand Teton Wilderness and Black Canyon of the Yellowstone - June 2021 Backpacking 0
westy Grand Canyon-Parashant Trip Planning 2
Rockskipper Application Period Open For 2023 Private River Trips Through Grand Canyon National Park General Discussion 0
TrailScot Step Canyon access to Grand Gulch, Cedar Mesa Trip Planning 17
stretch Grand Canyon Loop: Thunder River -> Tapeats -> Kanab -> Sowats Backpacking 22
balzaccom Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne Backpacking 2
kansas Good map of Grand Canyon-Parashant National Monument? Trip Planning 5
J Grand Canyon NP Backpack Pt. 2 Deer Cyn explore-->Esplanade-->Indian Hollow Tr. April 18-23, 2021 Backpacking 10
J Grand Canyon NP Backpack Pt. 1 Thunder River Tr.-->Esplanade-->Tapeats-->Deer. April 18-23, 2021 Backpacking 13
Nick Running the Grand Canyon in a Tule Raft General Discussion 2
D Grand Canyon Ideas Trip Planning 9
Bob Grand Canyon North Rim wildfire Trip Planning 4
gnwatts Grand Canyon by canoe On The Water 2
westy Cave Canyon, Grand Canyon west Hiking & Camping 5
montanaclimber advice Grand Canyon backpacking Spring 2020 Trip Planning 16
D New dams proposed for Little Colorado River/Grand Canyon General Discussion 2
Ross Permit places available for a Cape Solitude/Comanche Pt Grand Canyon backpack (+Canaan Mountain) Meet Up (Members Only) 0
fossana Deer Creek out-and-back (Grand Canyon NP) Hiking & Camping 5
fossana New Hance - Tonto - Grandview loop (Grand Canyon NP) Hiking & Camping 5
G Grand Canyon hiking - need a ride Trip Planning 0
G Grand Canyon backpacking - need ride Backpacking 0
3 Grand Canyon Traverse - Map? Trip Planning 0
woodmaker_58 grand canyon Trip Planning 2
stevecochranephotography Bright Angel Trail.. Grand Canyon, Arizona Hiking & Camping 1
N Grand Canyon and southern Utah in late November Trip Planning 3
Scott Chandler Finally Into the Grand Canyon Hiking & Camping 9
ramblinman New push for Uranium Mining near Grand Canyon General Discussion 3
cmgz Tuckup to Stairway -Grand Canyon Backpacking 5
A Escalante Route - Grand Canyon in late May 2017 Trip Planning 4
Wanderlust073 Grand Canyon in Winter - Hermit Trail to Bright Angel Backpacking 8
D Grand Canyon Escalade Project - ACT NOW General Discussion 12
Sandro Invite Grand Canyon, Utah Flats & Little Colorado, October Meet Up (Members Only) 7
b.stark A Grand Adventure-Grand Canyon 2016 Backpacking 7
Jon Carbaugh Grand Teton NP, Granite Canyon, Marion Lake Backpacking 12
IntrepidXJ Grand Gulch: Pollys Canyon to Collins Canyon Backpacking 1
Curt Grand Canyon --Tanner - Escalante Route - East Tonto - Grandview Backpacking 21
ram Grand Canyon River Trip.... March 8th-24th 2016 Canyoneering 12