Gold Star Canyon Loop

IntrepidXJ

ADVENTR
Thursday, March 27, 2014

The Original Trip Report on ADVENTR.CO

After work this evening, Diane and I met up for another short hike in the Colorado National Monument. We started from the White Rocks trailhead and then hiked the steep trail beside Gold Star Canyon up onto the Precambrian Bench. We followed the trail towards Monument Canyon and then turned around when we reached Mushroom Rock. Next we followed a wash down into Monument Canyon and hiked back to White Rocks by circling around the Little Island. It was a nice evening hike. I don't usually carry my camera on these short after-work hikes but the clouds in the sky were pretty nice from the passing storms so I decided to bring it with me. I'm glad I did!

The view across the Grand Valley as we hiked up the steep Gold Star Canyon trail.

Shadows on the Book Cliffs across the valley.

Great views on the Precambrian Bench.

Virga over the Book Cliffs.

The Little Island protrudes above the Precambrian Bench.

Spotlight on The Island across Monument Canyon.

Cloud shadows on Mount Garfield.

View of East Entrance as we descend a wash into Monument Canyon.

Nice light on the sandstone above as we hike back to the trailhead.

>> Gold Star Canyon Loop Photo Gallery

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Always love to see your Grand Valley shots. If I ever moved back to the west it would probably be back to GJ.
Randy have you ever been to Sieber Canyon in the southern part of the McInnis Canyons NCA?

Randy have you ever been to Sieber Canyon in the southern part of the McInnis Canyons NCA?

Not yet...finding the petroglyphs in that canyon has been on my list of things to do for years....yet I never seem to get there. It's actually on my calendar for April...so I hope to finally get there soon :)

I did scout out the route down into the canyon a few years back, but that's about it...

There is an archaeological site very near the route down into the canyon near the rim, its well documented. Still lots of lithic scatter around, and I found a complete point in the canyon bottom. It's still there, somewhere. The feet petroglyphs are very unique. Happy hunting!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Stephanie B Gold Butte National Monument, Nevada, February 11 - 15, 2020 Hiking & Camping 3
Nick Gold Butte x2 Hiking & Camping 33
CTTim Gold Butte General Discussion 3
Yvonne Gold Butte Campout, February 2016 Hiking & Camping 17
Wanderlust073 Invite July 16-18 - Gold Dust Peak / Lake Charles Meet Up (Members Only) 2
scatman Gold Mine Loop Trail / Noland Trail - Great Smoky Mountain National Park, June 7, 2016 Hiking & Camping 3
AustinCronnelly Gold of Carrie-Shinob General Discussion 3
Kullaberg63 Mt. Tukuhnikivatz to Gold Basin loop, La Sal mtns. Hiking & Camping 5
Udink Gold Butte Region Hiking & Camping 5
pixie1339 Southern Nevada, March 2013, Part Two: Gold Butte Area Hiking & Camping 2
Deadeye008 Gold fever... On The Water 8
Deadeye008 Gold!!! Photography 4
NorthwestWanderer 8 Day High Sierra trek : Humphreys Basin, Star Col, Granite Park, Lake Italy & Piute Canyon 6/25-7/2/22 Backpacking 7
Rockskipper Yellowstone is open and one-star reviews General Discussion 23
ram Silver Star Mt. Backpacking 13
P Lone Star/ Bechler area, July 30-August 5 Meet Up (Members Only) 0
regehr Capitol Reef Star Party Trip Planning 0
P Yellowstone reservations from Lone Star to Bechler area Trip Planning 30
WasatchWill UHT - Day 4: North Star Lake to WFBF + Wilson Peak Backpacking 3
WasatchWill UHT - Day 3: Painter Basin to North Star Lake Backpacking 8
kimbur96 Question on star photography Photography 3
Parma Ten One-star Reviews of Utah's National Parks General Discussion 24
Nick How to Shoot Star Trail Photos Resource Discussions 5
Backcountry Post Album Night Shots and Star Trails Photography 672
Nick How To Shoot Star Trails Photography 44
L Stevens Canyon - Baker Trail water availability Trip Planning 7
J Reflection Canyon Trip Planning 4
fossana Found: prescription glasses near the top of the Flipoff Canyon approach General Discussion 5
Spud Salt Creek Canyon question Trip Planning 11
B Buckskin gulch/Pariah canyon Carpool Trip Planning 0
TractorDoc Paintbrush Canyon / Cascade Canyon Loop -- Grand Teton NP September 11, 2023 Hiking & Camping 9
Kullaberg63 15 day canyon route Backpacking 13
Titans Tricked in the canyon! Hiking & Camping 5
TrailScot Dayhiking the Under-the-Rim Trail - Bryce Canyon NP - October 2023 Hiking & Camping 4
Janice Such a GRAND Canyon - Deer Creek / Tapeats / Thunder River Backpacking 21
M Mee/Knowles Canyon Loop, Grand Junction Colorado Backpacking 4
OldBill Short hike at the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania Hiking & Camping 1
S Paria Canyon- Whitehouse to Lees Ferry, Oct 18 to 21, 2023 Trip Reports 0
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
A Bowdie Canyon Trip Planning 10
TheMountainRabbit Silas Canyon (Popo Agie Wilderness) - August 2023 Backpacking 3
J Paria Canyon - One Day Trail Trip Planning 10
Bob The New Grand Canyon Trip Planning 1
WhozWutz Invite Horse Canyon Needles Meet Up (Members Only) 1
BJett Part 3 - Tour de Canyon Country. Lower Escalante Loop Hiking & Camping 0
BJett Part 2 - Tour de Canyon Country. Swell Times Hiking & Camping 0
BJett Part 1 - Tour de Canyon Country. Cedar Mesa. Hiking & Camping 8
Gretchen Millward Trachyte Creek via Woodruff Canyon, April 2023 Backpacking 9
F Grand Canyon hermits rest to granite rapids to bright angel Trip Planning 10