GNP from the train

viewenjoyer

Hello - here is my inaugural post on this illustrious forum.

I'm looking for some advice on camping inside or outside GNP for a brief trip to the region as I pass thru on the Amtrak train.

I ride Amtrak a lot thru GNP but I finally have a hop on hop off ticket for the first time, and I'd like to spend 1-2 days exploring GNP from one of the train stops.

I had no idea how difficult it had become to plan a trip there!

So what I'd really like to do is go for a backcountry hike and camp somewhere where I can make it out to the train station in the morning to catch the train heading East. From my look at the backcountry maps, the closest site to a train stop is a site 7 miles from Essex. That would require getting up before dawn to hike out, not ideal.

So instead, maybe I'll just go for some day hikes and set up a tent outside of the park. So my questions:

1) Does anyone have recommendations on where to camp if I do this (somewhere within a few miles of W Glacier, E Glacier or Essex)

and more generally

2) Who has a recommendation for a region for day-hikes: W Glacier, Essex or E Glacier?

I'm up for challenging hikes, I can easily do a 15 mile (RT or circuit) day hike during the day without my pack.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!