Glacier NP: June 2015

AKay09

This is my first ever trip report, I hope it's not boring!

On June 21st 2015, two friends and I left from the Chicago suburbs for Glacier National Park. We decided we're young so we could make the drive straight through, well we did but that was a very rough 27hours! Almost hit about 400 animals, had some long patches of very dense fog at night and my friend ran over part of a truck tire, which she found out later did some damage to her trans pan.

Anyway our trip took us from Bowman Lake up to Goat Haunt and down to Kootenai Lake and back, so 50 miles over 6 days. My friend Kyle and I had very limited backpacking experience in the Smookies from the year before but my friend Sara had zero experience. Neither of them listened to me about training for the trip so they had some rough days. Hope you don't mind some pictures...

Our before picture from the night before the hike started. Kyle, Sara, Andy(me)

Day 1: 7.10 Miles from Bowman Lake to Bowman Head Campground. Had to head back to town to grab our permit, the road from Polebridge to Bowman Lake is not well suited for cars, but we managed.

These signs were all over the place but sadly didn't see any.

Snack break.

Fishing at the campground.

This guy was wondered through the site.

Had a few different groups with us that first night and met some really cool people that I won't soon forget. That first night was just a great time.

Day 2: 8.60 miles to Hawksbill Campground. Started off a little thick but was kind of fun.

The hike up Brown Pass was pretty grueling and my two friends were struggling a good amout. I thankfully had trained for a few months prior to the trip and was pulling away easily up the pass, not to brag...okay just a little :) . My buddy Kyle was pretty pumped to be almost to the top!
11050679_10152859339716930_1038257088396967655_n_zpsumfgpw7i.jpg

The top of Brown Pass was the only time the full 6 days that we had clouds and the sun disappeared.

My friend Sara was really struggling after we got over the pass and we had to stop for awhile at a small lake/pond. We ended up relaxing for about an hour while she dozed off and built her strength back up.

Day 3: 9.30 miles to Kootenai Lake

Had to take a swim in the 50 maybe 60 degree water at Kootenai.

At about 9pm a Moose made an appearance on the other side of the lake and so we watched him through my camera for about an hour before something in the woods scared him and he took off running. (I'll get a link to a video of the moose up too)

We caught about 10 trout also that day and before the Moose popped up we cooked one up! So tasty!

We're weird...

Day 4: 9.10 miles to Francis Lake. Francis Lake is amazing, we made really good time getting there and were able to spend hours just lounging on the rocks, fishing and watching the waterfall. Had a doe hang out by us for a bit as well which was nice.

Day 5: 8.80 miles back to Bowman Head campground. Day 5 was rough. Hiking back up over Brown Pass was brutal, we tried to get up early to beat the heat but the heat was ready for us nice and early. The temps were easily in the mid to high 80s by noon and for sure made it to 90 that day and the next as well. We did a lot of swimming when we finally made it to the site and we weren't alone. All day we got to share the site with 3 deer, 2 bucks and 1 doe. At first it was cute and fun but they were a real pain. They kept trying to steal anything we left out and one managed to get my shirt while I was swimming and chewed some nice holes in it. While we were sitting around the fire as the sun was going down, one of the bucks tried to take the shirt right off of Sara's back.

Day 6: 7.10 miles back to the car. This day went pretty easy for the most part. It was very hot again so we took our time and went nuts on drinking water. When we got back to the main campground we took a swim, washed up a little and listened to a loon. Of course we had to stop at Polebridge and grab some bear claws and beer!

Of course we had to stop at Polebridge and grab some bear claws and beer!

We decided to go a little out of the way on the drive as well and took a detour over the Going to the Sun Road. It was really cool minus the long line of cars we had to follow and the heat scared all the animals away as well. The cars thermometer was reading 94 as we were going over the road. Pretty sure it was a record heat wave when we were there.

Overall our trip to Glacier was absolutely amazing. It pushed us physically, was incredibly beautiful, met some amazing people and basically just loved every minute of it! The only site we had people company was Bowman, which was nice since it was the only site where we could have fires. I hope all the pics didn't scare you away or bore you too much, thanks for reading!!

Ohh here is the Moose video!

Amongst the finest trip reports I've ever guilted someone into posting! Totally awesome. Thank you! :)

You're very welcome! Thanks, for pushing me to do it! I have come close a few times to putting up the trip report but didn't think I could put one up that was as interesting as some of the amazing ones on here. I will make sure to get up reports sooner next time. Two years ago I set a goal to backpack in 5 national parks before I was 30 and so far I have 2 done, Smokies and Glacier, so there will be more! It is a major bummer living near Chicago though, I really need to move west!

Awesome report!
Love all the pics.
I have been to many of those same places. Kootenai, Francis Polebridge Claws...Yumm!
Good fishing and plenty of wildlife!
Right On!
Love Glacier.
Thanks for sharing
Cheers
IRG

Two years ago I set a goal to backpack in 5 national parks before I was 30 and so far I have 2 done, Smokies and Glacier, so there will be more! It is a major bummer living near Chicago though, I really need to move west!

You're not far from Isle Royale - a place with lots of nice backpacking options (according to my planning beta; I haven't actually been there yet, but it's on my To Do list).

You're not far from Isle Royale - a place with lots of nice backpacking options (according to my planning beta; I haven't actually been there yet, but it's on my To Do list).

Ohh that's a good idea, I haven't actually thought of that. I've been canoeing up in the boundary waters before and it's really nice. I'll have to look into that option, thanks for the idea!

Love this! My wife and I were in Glacier just the week before you. Sadly we were not backpacking like you, but enjoyed the park from our car and doing day hikes. Photos are awesome dude. A true backcountry experience for sure. I'd like to hike from Goat Haunt to Saint Mary's. Thanks for sharing such a rad trip!

@AKay09 - Thank you so much for posting this. It's a great report and I really loved reading it. Those pictures are all amazing but I especially loved the wildlife that you captured. I also enjoyed reading about your journey getting there as I'm in the same boat as you. I live in New Jersey, so almost every trip is either a long road trip or I have to hop on a plane. Don't let that deter you, I'll be in Utah next month and round trip airfare only cost me $330. Just plan ahead.

Keep posting up your trip reports, even if it's just a short local dayhike that you don't think is spectacular. There are people on here like myself that are addicted to BCP because they love reading every and any trip report.

Thanks for posting (and where's that Smokies Trip Teport btw?)

Keep posting up your trip reports, even if it's just a short local dayhike that you don't think is spectacular. There are people on here like myself that are addicted to BCP because they love reading every and any trip report.

I second that.

Thanks for all the kind words, glad you all enjoyed reading about the trip!

@Vegan.Hiker Yeah I have been looking into flying out for my next trip. The drive, even though it sucked, just added to the memories though. I'll definitely keep the trip reports coming if I can get some pics that are worth sharing on the smaller trip. As to where the smokies trip report is, I'll see what I can come up with this weekend. Didn't get near as many nice pictures but got a few and have some nice stories I could share.

@Vegan.Hiker Yeah I have been looking into flying out for my next trip. The drive, even though it sucked, just added to the memories...

Agreed. When you travel great distances, the journey just to get to the trailhead is part of the adventure.

I'll definitely keep the trip reports coming if I can get some pics that are worth sharing on the smaller trip.

I'm all for Trip Reports of any size, but if you ever don't feel like posting a full report, there's also this thread for mini reports.
http://backcountrypost.com/threads/micro-trip-reports.2782/

Gorgeous pictures! Loved your first report. Keep them coming.

Wow! The home page image is truly spectacular! I'm intrigued that the deer were not
more frightened by you - do you think they've been fed by people enough that they're
comfortable?

Thanks again.

Wow! The home page image is truly spectacular! I'm intrigued that the deer were not
more frightened by you - do you think they've been fed by people enough that they're
comfortable?

Thanks! Yeah I would guess the deer have been fed before. The deer we had with us at Francis lake seemed pretty used to people as well but not nearly as comfortable and brave as those two males were. After we got back to Bowman campground we ran into a ranger who asked us about our trip, I mentioned those deer and he said that he has been hearing that a lot lately and that they were going to have to go in with some bear spray to try and scare them away.

Thanks for your wonderful report. One of my boys strongest memories is seeing that Mountain Lion sign up at Bowman. I have been going to Glacier for over 30 years and have never backpacked, BUT I have done Everything front country and taken 8300 photos. I only say this to (maybe brag a bit), encourage and support those above that are or want to go to Glacier on a limited basis. Glacier is worth any amount of effort it takes to experience. I might as well name-drop. @Langdon Greene mentions "hike 734". Jeff and I hiked Glacier's Firebrand Pass with him last August. He is quite enthusiastic about Glacier.

@chandlerwest I agree, Glacier really is worth any amount of effort it takes to get there. I really hope to be able to move out west sometime soon so that I can make it there much more frequently than is feasible from out here. I try to tell everyone I know that they need to make it to Glacier at least once in their lifetime because it truly was incredible.