Gear Thoughts

Aldaron

While I'm busy sifting through my hundreds of pictures from the Winds, I thought I would post some gear thoughts from this trip.

This was the first trip that I took the Vivobarefoot Shoes, and I loved them. The weight is great and they do the job of protecting your feet at river crossings or letting your feet air out after a long day.

I also enjoyed my Tenkara rod. I didn't actually land any fish, but I hooked a couple that I lost...one because it was WAY too big big for the line. I think I was lucky that the line broke instead of the rod! I also didn't fish as much as I had planned because I was usually just worn out at the end of the day. I need to plan more low mileage days next time.

Lastly, I have some serious impact problems with my big toes and the balls of my feet on long trips. It seems like those areas just get bruised or beat up very easily. I have terribly flat feet, so I suspect that has something to do with it. On this trip, I put thick mole foam on those areas at the very beginning of the trip and I changed it out every day. I held it on with Leukotape to make sure it would stay in the right place, and that worked perfectly. By the fourth day I was starting to feel some of that impact pain, but it usually starts earlier than that, and it didn't hurt nearly as badly as usually.

The shoes, the rod, and the Leokotape all came from suggestions I got from this site...probably from @Nick himself...so I consider that a success story for the site!

Now, pretty much the only people we saw for the first three days were through CDT hikers...so I have to resist the urge to redo all of my gear and become an ultralighter...

I also really like the vivobarefoots. I just wish they held up a little better and were less expensive! =)

Haha...I hate it when I'm too tired to fish at the end of the day. Been there many times.

Bummer about the sore feet!

I always get sore feet on long trips...it just wasn't as bad this time. Is this not a normal thing for everyone? I'm finally getting tempted to trade my heavy Asolos for a pair of hiking shoes to see if that will help.

My feet get tired, but the bottoms don't usually get sore. (Of course I don't often do trips over 3 nights). I've lightened my pack over the years and I think that helps me a lot. I still use heavy boots as well (Vasque Wasatch GTX) and I'm still ok with them. I haven't made the switch to trail runners like many have. Not sure they'd be for me. Maybe if my pack was under 20 pounds like some people are able to manage. =)

do you use insoles - like Superfeet or Sole? if not, I would suggest at least looking into them.

Yeah, I replace the insoles. I don't use Superfeet because they hurt my feet worse.

My total pack weight with food and water was 37 pounds...I was fairly happy with that. Maybe I just walk funny.

you have the Asolo TPS 520? or something not as stiff? Perhaps a lighter shoe with less of a shank would work better. I usually hike in my Lowa Ticams, and they are a FANTASTIC shoe. I have done 20 mile trips with 50lbs in the Enchantments ( i know i need to get lighter :) ), and my feet were more or less good.

you have the Asolo TPS 520? or something not as stiff? Perhaps a lighter shoe with less of a shank would work better. I usually hike in my Lowa Ticams, and they are a FANTASTIC shoe. I have done 20 mile trips with 50lbs in the Enchantments ( i know i need to get lighter :) ), and my feet were more or less good.
Yeah, I wear the TPS 520 version without GoreTex. Supposedly, they "reduce shock impact." I'm thinking about trying a lighter shoe with less shank...I'm willing to give it a chance!

I always get sore feet on long trips...it just wasn't as bad this time. Is this not a normal thing for everyone? I'm finally getting tempted to trade my heavy Asolos for a pair of hiking shoes to see if that will help.
I have a love/ hate relationship with my TPS 520 boots. The insoles got switched for cushy Danner insoles but they still felt like bricks at the end of the day for the first month. After a few trips I got them broken in and I have started really liking them especially with a heavier pack and sketchy trail conditions that may have snow fields.

I used some version of the 520's since 2004 but retired them last fall in favor of Salewa's Alp mid GTX trainer's. Couldn't be more pleased. All the same support as the 520's, but with some real soles, much better breathing, and half the weight. Don't know how many times I was cussing the worthless soles on the 520's but it was a bunch. I will say the 520's are nearly indestructible and wear like iron. Jury still out on those attributes with the Sawela's.

... I still use heavy boots as well (Vasque Wasatch GTX) and I'm still ok with them. I haven't made the switch to trail runners like many have. Not sure they'd be for me. Maybe if my pack was under 20 pounds like some people are able to manage. =)

You should try a pair of trail runners one of these days. I've been very happy with the La Sportiva Raptors. The majority of my hiking is off trail with a heavy pack full of canyon, climbing, or packrafting gear and they work great for me. That's included several week long trips. The only time I think about something else is if there's significant snow. They're comfortable enough that I usually don't bring camp shoes.

I've been considering trail runners. I went to REI in Knoxville a few months ago to look at them. When I told the employee that I wanted a pair of shoes for multi-day backpacking he looked at me like I was an alien. I told him that from everything I've been reading that many people are going that way, he looked at me like I was an idiot.

I didn't buy any.

Not surprising. A lot of the folks out there slinging gear at REI,etc.. don't use the stuff like a lot of the people on this site. Sometimes I overhear advice and I just want to interrupt and tell them that it's a bunch of crap.

You should try a pair of trail runners one of these days.

You're right...I SHOULD try some trail runners one of these days. I'm very curious to see how they'd work for me. My pack weight is getting down and down. I finished a quick two nighter trip today and my pack weighed around 19 lbs without water when we finished the trip.

It's comforting to know that you're able to cross rough terrain with a decent pack weight. I do a lot of that stuff. Do these lightweight shoes hold up ok? Or are they done after a season?

Cracks me up what @Aldaron and @Nick said about REI employees. Haha.

It's comforting to know that you're able to cross rough terrain with a decent pack weight. I do a lot of that stuff. Do these lightweight shoes hold up ok? Or are they done after a season?

I usually get a season or so, but that's with lots of use. I try to find them on sale at Sierra Trading Post to keep the price reasonable.