Funny Little Rock

John Fowler

Last week ladigue_99 and I were out hiking in GS/E off fortymile ridge road when we came across this strange little rock, perched on three legs. It looks like it could fall over at any moment. My first impression was that it was a joke that somebody had perpetrated, but on closer inspection it appeared to be all natural. There were other similar rocks implausibly perched up on spindly legs nearby. So I am wondering: Is this rock well-known? Have any of you seen it already? It's only about a foot high. (Full trip report is in preparation.)
_DSC1134.jpg

these types of formations happen all over the escalante canyons region underneath limestone & basalt boulders (and a few other more resistant types of rock). they are caused by water running under them and wearing away the soft sandstone. I've come across whole gardens of these (there is a great one towards the upper end of Dry Hollow in a basalt boulder field.I think the legs left are a mix of random chance of flow/hardness/and i wonder if maybe pressure points somehow compress the sandstone to make it less wear resistant(?).
It is also usually on the pale navajo sandstone like this one appears to be.

these types of formations happen all over the escalante canyons region underneath limestone & basalt boulders (and a few other more resistant types of rock). they are caused by water running under them and wearing away the soft sandstone. I've come across whole gardens of these (there is a great one towards the upper end of Dry Hollow in a basalt boulder field.I think the legs left are a mix of random chance of flow/hardness/and i wonder if maybe pressure points somehow compress the sandstone to make it less wear resistant(?).
It is also usually on the pale navajo sandstone like this one appears to be.
Thanks. It looks so improbable.

Thanks. It looks so improbable.
yeah, now matter how many i see, they always get my attention. sometimes they will look like3 foot tall mushrooms as well.
it's hard to believe that those little legs of sandstone can hold all of that weight - and to think of how many hundreds or thousands of years they have been doing it!

a few that i have come across...

perched boulders by intuitive cat studio, on Flickr

this next one is a textbook example of the early stages of a Hoodoo forming. remember that all of the tall hoodoos one sees were once smaller like this and never actually extend in height, but rather, the ground erodes away below them leaving the towers with cap-rock.

volcanic toadstool by intuitive cat studio, on Flickr

perched precariously by intuitive cat studio, on Flickr

and this last one was on top of the dome/mesa i watched the may 2012 eclipse from.

IMGP5495alt.jpg

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
U Funny experience with Maps on iPad Everything Else 1
Jackson Little Rock Creek Backpacking 5
F Little Death Hollow Backpack Trip Planning 2
scatman Little Mountain - January 21, 2023 Hiking & Camping 28
westy A little bragging General Discussion 1
balzaccom A little help, please? Backpacking 0
scatman Little Mountain - January 22, 2022 Hiking & Camping 1
Janice Cosmic Ashtray via Wolverine/Little Death Hollow & Escalante River? Trip Planning 16
Rockskipper Sayonara, Quiet Little Green River General Discussion 8
C Little Hiking, Little Rockhounding Everything Else 0
regehr Little Wild Horse fatalaties Monday General Discussion 12
W Little Colorado shuttle / transport Trip Planning 7
D New dams proposed for Little Colorado River/Grand Canyon General Discussion 2
kwc A little more Adirondack wandering ... Hiking & Camping 1
SteveR Still Winter- Little Crowfoot Peak Winter Sports 4
piper01 Little Death Hollow, GSENM Hiking & Camping 3
NorthwestWanderer Washington - 4x4 to Bear Lake & Little Deer Pass Off Road 0
o2bav8 A little bit of everything & don't drive on blue clay when wet Hiking & Camping 18
scatman Little Cataloochee Trail, Great Smokey Mountains National Park - June 3, 2018 Hiking & Camping 13
J Escalante Natl Mon. Wolverine and Little Death Hollow and overland routes April 22-25, 2018 Backpacking 0
M Escalante- Little Death Hollow Loop conditions? Trip Planning 14
RyanP Little Wild Horse tips for this weekend? Deep cold water in canyon? Trip Planning 5
swmalone Willow Creek to Little Cottonwood Creek Loop Trail Hiking & Camping 0
tomcat32 Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness: Little Rainbow Mountain Hiking & Camping 3
B Utah Backpacking with Little Kids? Trip Planning 3
K TR: 4/14 - 4/16 Nice Little Valley south of Mammoth Lakes,CA Backpacking 2
SteveR Little Crowfoot Peak, Alberta Winter Sports 6
F Little bit of a combo General Discussion 1
kimbur96 2 nights in Little Brooklyn Hut, Snowy Mountain Range, Wyoming Winter Sports 4
George_Washington_Hayduke Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument: Little Death Hollow/Horse/Wolverine Loop Backpacking 0
ashleyoutside Slot Canyon Hiking – Little Wild Horse Canyon Hiking & Camping 4
Jon Carbaugh Little Wild Horse/Bell Canyon Loop Hiking & Camping 7
regehr hiker injured and rescued in Little Cottonwood General Discussion 3
Noun Sequitur A Little Bit of Bisti Everything Else 25
rich67 A Little Drive Up Schnebly Hill (Sedona) Off Road 2
Sandro Invite Grand Canyon, Utah Flats & Little Colorado, October Meet Up (Members Only) 7
Nate Levine Advice on hiking the Little Colorado River in July Trip Planning 7
DiscGo Confessions of Stupidity: Little Death Hollow Hiking & Camping 6
Dave Fees coming for Big, Little Cottonwood Canyons General Discussion 0
DrNed Biking The Little Wild Horse Road Everything Else 1
Ross Canaan Mountain & Little Colorado rim exploration Backpacking 16
IntrepidXJ Little Wild Horse Canyon & Bell Canyon Hiking & Camping 2
andyjaggy Little Sahara Hiking & Camping 2
DrNed Little Wild Horse Road Trip Planning 13
Scott Chandler A Return to Desert: Little Wild Horse Hiking & Camping 7
WasatchWill Seeking a little help for Fall Break with family in GSENM Trip Planning 4
Red Rock Rangers Little Jamaica On The Water 0
Blake Merrell Cuberant, Kamas & Lofty with a little Mount Marsell Backpacking 18
Ross Invite: Exploring Little Colorado's north rim + Colorado East Rim viewpts Trip Planning 3
Ross Help/Invite:Cape Solitude at rim of Colorado & Little Colorado confluence Trip Planning 0