Flatlander

BillG

I'm new to this forum, but spent much of my youth in the backcountry. Recently retired, I hope to be able to spend more time outdoors. I'm finding out that I have less free time now than I did when I was working. I've been in central Illinois since the late seventies, but my outdoor activities have always been elsewhere, canoeing and ridgerunning in Missouri, the Red River Gorge and Big South Fork in Kentucky and Tennessee and, of course, the Smokies. I'm finding these areas a bit too popular, so I've been looking to the West. I've done some superficial exploring out West and find that the area that I am really drawn to is the Wind River Range. I hope to get back there soon, but it may not be this year. I'm in reasonably good health, but my wife has MS and can't walk any distance. This limits my opportunities if I'm traveling with her. Worthen Meadows looks like a place that we could both visit and a starting point for some day hikes for me. In the meantime, I'll be looking for opportunities near home.

Welcome. Your scouting skills are spot on! The Wind River Range is possibly the most beautiful range in the continental US. However, it's not the best place to go if you are limited on time and walking distance. The most beautiful areas require long approaches of 12 or more miles one way. If starting from Worthen Meadows, Stough Creek Lakes Basin is the closest area of interest, and is 6-7 miles one-way. Another hike I highly suggest starts from the western side of the range at Big Sandy Trailhead. You follow the trail until Big Sandy Lake at 6 miles, but continue by hiking 1 mile to Clear Lake, then an additional mile to the truly spectacular Deep Lake (8 miles one-way). But the "Winds" are truly a backpacking range, not giving any spectacular views from the trailheads.

Might I suggest driving up to Togwotee Pass and visiting the Brooks Lake campground. The beautiful Jade Lakes are only an additional 2 miles hike from the parking lot. It's a beautiful place to have a picnic. Then drive west down the other side of the pass for truly spectacular views of the Grand Tetons. Don't fret if your hiking opportunities are limited; there is so much to see and do in this area right from the car!

Best of luck, and please let me know how things turn out. I have a lot more suggestions if you're planning a road trip :)

I've been to the Winds twice. Last year we came in from the west coast, over Teton Pass to Jackson, up to Moran and then over Togwotee Pass to DuBois and Lander. My wife and I went as far as Bruce Bridge, but the road to Frye lake wasn't open, yet. I've been on the other side through Pinedale, but not up to any of the trailheads on the west side. Coming from Illinois, it's probably not any harder to get to the west side than the east side. The Big Sandy Trailhead is one that I have considered and may yet visit.

Nice! Another good trailhead in the Winds is the Green River Lakes Trailhead on the west side. It has nice views of Squaretop Mountain and a nice, flat trail through the Green River Valley. The drive from Pinedale to Jackson is also spectacular, with views of the Gros Ventre Range. You can take the dirt road up to Granite Hot Springs, with lovely hiking opportunities to Shoal Falls and Shoal Lake.
And if you haven't been through Yellowstone, that should be at the top of your list.
Best of Luck.

I second the Green River Lakes suggestion. Beautiful from the campground and great for a canoe.

Nice! Another good trailhead in the Winds is the Green River Lakes Trailhead on the west side. It has nice views of Squaretop Mountain and a nice, flat trail through the Green River Valley. The drive from Pinedale to Jackson is also spectacular, with views of the Gros Ventre Range. You can take the dirt road up to Granite Hot Springs, with lovely hiking opportunities to Shoal Falls and Shoal Lake.
And if you haven't been through Yellowstone, that should be at the top of your list.
Best of Luck.
I haven't been to Granite HS since '83. I know a lady who owns one of those cabins south of the springs. Maybe this summer.

Back