Flash Floods

Now just imagine all that water & debris channelled into a slot that chokes down to 6 feet wide or less. It would probably be the last thing you'd ever see, unless you were on the rim above it.

i had to explain to a couple the other day why they should not go into peekaboo and spooky when there was a 60% chance of thunderstorms and it was obvious that stormy weather was building. they hadn't even thought about it and were amazed.
i think the antelope vid is a perfect example to explain to people how serious such a danger can be.

I've also witnessed a small flash flood in the lower end of Calf Creek before. was only a foot or two rise but was pretty sweet to watch.
The year before that I had left my soaking hole down there after seeing that it was raining hard to the north for fear of a flood coming through and came back the next day to see that a 5 foot by 4 foot by 4 foot thick boulder had been moved from the downside edge of one of the pools about 50 yards downstream and fallen into another one of the pools. kinda wished i would have gotten to see that.

Holy hell!!! That is awesome!!! Wished he would have showed how Antelope Canyon looked at the same spot in dry conditions!

I've witnessed quite a few of these amazing forces of nature and they are never overrated.

We had two flash floods on the creeks leading to the Fremont River on Thursday. There is video of the one on Sand Creek on Facebook, the front was about 3 feet tall, full of logs and debris, the swell grew from there and took out an irrigation pipe that is a good 8' above the normal floor of the creek. It didn't quite get up to the top of the bridge on Center Street in Torrey like the one last year that tried to steal my truck while I was taking a video.

Thanks for bringing it over @Nick. The only problem is that the video was from the 30th and the BIG peak on the USGS station, @gnwatts, was on the 28th. What do you think? The flood actually occurred two days later? or...???

If facebook comments are to be believed, the guy who goes into save and people in van all made out safely, with injuries.

That video is intense!

The desert is like a dry sponge, it doesn't want to soak any water up. It just floats on top instead.

I'd really like to be around, albeit at a safe distance, to see this phenomena.

Last edited:
Wow. Good to hear. I still can't help but think that trying to save them was not the smartest idea. I'm all about helping people out, but stepping into a flood like that?!? Crazy.

The next time this kind of water is forecasted I really need to just pack up and head south. Wild stuff.

How is anyone supposed to buy and set off illegal fireworks at the Moapa truck stop in that weather?! ;)

EDIT: Some crazy footage from I-15 in the Virgin River Gorge here, colorful language too...

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

Last edited: