Fighting the crowds - July in Page AZ and Escalante UT

Antlerking

Every year my Mom's side of the Family take off on trips around the west. This year we decided to take the family and follow them down to Northern Arizona and Escalante. I've yet to do Horseshoe Bend and Antelope Canyon due to the popularity, with that said, it was time to get them over with. Traveling with two young kids we made plenty of stops on the way. Antelope Canyon was amazing, the amount of people in there makes me never want to go back during the summer months. It was a freaking ZOO, if you have Asians in your party...make sure you have your tripod tied to you. I had my tripod hit 40 times that I counted, 30 of them sent it flying. I had my hand within 2" of the tripod the whole time so I was able to grab it. Even with the masses it was worth the trip.

Horseshoe Bend was awesome. I shot it twice while I was down there. The first morning there was only two Russians from New York and myself. The next evening as the sunset we enjoyed the view with the summer masses. After we were done in Page we drove up to Escalante and hit Calf Creek.

Enjoy the pics.96_cliff-dwellers_hdr_34%.jpg170_marble-canyon_panorama_b&w.jpg

215_horseshoe-bend_Panorama_b&w_20%.jpg

337_horseshoe-bend_Panorama_21.5%.jpg415_antelope-canyon_sun-spots_25%.jpg435_antelope-canyon_light-dust_25%.jpg454_antelope-canyon_30%.jpg469_antelope-canyon_sunspot_sand-fall_25%.jpg488_antelope-canyon_sun-spots_b&w_25%.jpg576_antelope-canyon_25%.jpg600_antelope-canyon__entrance_33%.jpg633_calf-creek-falls_25%.jpg654_calf-creek-falls_fremont-granary_25%.jpg626_calf-creek-falls_pictographs.jpg668_100-hands-pictograph.jpg661_escalante-river-petroglyphs.jpg196_horseshoe-bend_Panorama_23%.jpg

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Antelope Canyon was amazing, the amount of people in there makes me never want to go back during the summer months.

Hate to break it to you, but I just went a few weeks ago and it's not much better in the winter. I don't plan on ever going back during any season. I can't imagine how many people they pack in there during the summer, though!

Whoa, how'd this one sneak past me last night?! Great shots, Ladd! After all I've heard about Antelope, I'm thinking I'll probably never see it. Beautiful though!

Fantastic shots! The one of all the hands moves me the most-something timeless about that one. I went to Lower Antelope in late June and my friend and I almost had it to ourselves. No lightbeams, but the colors and textures are really beautiful in that one.

p.s. you don't happen to live in Kanab, do you?

Fantastic shots! The one of all the hands moves me the most-something timeless about that one. I went to Lower Antelope in late June and my friend and I almost had it to ourselves. No lightbeams, but the colors and textures are really beautiful in that one.

p.s. you don't happen to live in Kanab, do you?

I wish I lived in Kanab, I love that area. I wish they had jobs in Healthcare down there, I would move tomorrow.

I wish I lived in Kanab, I love that area. I wish they had jobs in Healthcare down there, I would move tomorrow.

I know a Ladd who lives there. I've never met anyone named that before and now I've met two in Utah in the space of 6 months.

Great shots, I really love the Page area.
I've never been to Upper Antelope Canyon because the crowds on the parking lot always scared the hell out of me.
I hate overcrowded places.
I went to Lower Antelope Canyon instead and always had it by myself. And there are light beams as well

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
norwegianxplorer How a Reindeer herd w/calves invaded my camp & started fighting over turf, backpacking Femundsmarka NP Norway Backpacking 2
A Coyote Gulch crowds? Trip Planning 0
Janice Mirror Lake Highway - Crowds? Recommendation? Trip Planning 4
J Avoiding Weekend Crowds - Tetons vs. Wind Rivers Trip Planning 11
Jeff Hilton 24th of july weekend crowds Trip Planning 10
uintahiker Camp Rucker, a ghost town without the crowds Hiking & Camping 0
Bob Teton Wilderness July 2024 Trip Planning 38
BobFink Mirror Plateau via Pelican Valley and Pelican Creek, July / August 2023 Backpacking 12
TheMountainRabbit Southern Absaroka & Thorofare Mountain (Teton/Washakie Wilderness) - July 2023 Backpacking 23
kwc Album Denali Highway July 2023 Photography 3
scatman Reid's Peak - Uintas - July 22, 2023 Hiking & Camping 6
scatman Mount Superior - July 14, 2023 Hiking & Camping 16
scatman Mount Raymond - July 8, 2023 Hiking & Camping 17
TractorDoc Mohican State Park -- July 4, 2023 Hiking & Camping 11
C Teton Wilderness Early July Trip Planning 16
shredhiker Kings Canyon July 2022 Kearsarge, Rae, & Sixty Lakes Backpacking 8
Parashakti Late July in Yellowstone Trip Planning 9
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 7 of 9, July 26-27, 2022 Backpacking 13
Jackson Mid-July in the Missions Backpacking 8
Georgia Yankee Snake River; Wolverine, Coulter, Pilgrim Creeks, July-Aug. 2022 Backpacking 18
scatman Shoshone Lake Lollipop Loop - Yellowstone National Park - July 24, 2022 Backpacking 63
TheMountainRabbit Younts Peak (Teton/Washakie Wilderness) - July 2022 Backpacking 22
Jackson Fourth of July Fireworks Avoidance Backpacking 5
scatman The Pfeifferhorn - July 14, 2022 Hiking & Camping 35
scatman West Millcreek Ridge - July 10, 2022 Hiking & Camping 22
scatman East Millcreek Ridge - July 2, 2022 Hiking & Camping 21
F Teton Wilderness, late July 2022 Trip Planning 6
TheMountainRabbit Invite Younts Peak, July 2022 Meet Up (Members Only) 11
ram Glacier Peak July 2021 Backpacking 9
Yvonne Climbing Mount Saint Helens via Monitor Ridge Route, July 2021 Hiking & Camping 16
Mikjik86 4 Days Backpacking Grand Teton Wilderness/Teton Crest Trail - Wyoming, July, 2021 Backpacking 0
scatman Beartooth Wilderness - Flat Rock Lake Lollipop Loop - July 26, 2021 Backpacking 56
scatman Lone Peak - July 14, 2021 Hiking & Camping 28
TheMountainRabbit Horse Ridge to Mount Febbas (Fitzpatrick Wilderness) - July 2021 Backpacking 24
Jackson Fourth of July Overnighter Backpacking 10
scatman North Summit, Mount Olympus - July 3, 2021 Hiking & Camping 12
futurafree Yellowstone partners in July Meet Up (Members Only) 0
TheMountainRabbit Invite Southern GYE, July 9th-11th Meet Up (Members Only) 0
dgosche Teton Crest July Trip Planning 2
Born to Hike 85 miles on the Uinta Highline Trail including Crater Lake and a Dinosaur: July 26 - Aug 1, 2020 Backpacking 35
scatman Grandview Peak - July 24, 2020 Hiking & Camping 11
scatman Broads Fork Twin Peaks - July 14, 2020 Hiking & Camping 20
scatman Bourbon Lake, Uintas - July 11, 2020 Hiking & Camping 4
scatman Millvue Peak - July 3, 2020 Hiking & Camping 2
U Favorite sites in Glacier in North Fork, Lake McDonald or Cole/Nyack? Looking at mid july Trip Planning 2
zionsky Zion to Resume Shuttles July 1 General Discussion 2
U Just picked up a permit for Shelf Lake 2 nights in Mid/Late July. Any ideas for a day hike/summit from there? Trip Planning 0
U Any recommendations for 5 days hiking in Wyoming, Idaho or MT? This is around July 15-20. Not counting on Glacier being open Trip Planning 9
U Glacier North Circle Loop Mid July - Looking for an alternative back-up plan for a 3-4 nighter Trip Planning 0
E Glacier National Park in Mid July Trip Planning 0