Fiftymile Creek in Escalante - 5/24/2013

neiloro

My wife, seven friends, and I headed down to Escalante for Memorial Day weekend. We had some seasoned hikers, and some complete noobs, so we wanted an easy hike in to a basecamp, from where we could leisurely explore. Inspired by @Nick's report on Fiftymile from earlier in May, we decided to head there. We had the canyon entirely to ourselves on Memorial Day, and it was perfect.

We parked in the wash and hiked in. At the point where you have to scramble to get into the canyon, we decided to go back upstream and explore the part we had bypassed.

Some of the group stemming for the first time in their lives.
Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-6527.jpg

At the end there's a dryfall - the obstacle that forces you to bypass the canyon in the first place.
Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-6519.jpg

A little further down is a serious "yoni" on the left, looking down canyon.
Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-6533.jpg

After a few miles we got to the riparian area Nick described, where the cottonwoods were all growing in a perfect row.
Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-6548.jpg

And that was just before we got to the arch and alcove, where we'd camp.
Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-6556.jpg

Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-6578.jpg

I don't have the best lens for it, but I gave some night photography of the arch a shot.
Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-6646.jpg

Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-6811.jpg

There are some nice pictographs right there, under the arch.
Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-6575.jpg

Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-6590.jpg

At night the datura all flowered.
Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-6630.jpg

The next day we all slept in, and then headed down the canyon, towards Lake Powell. We knew the water was low (3597 ft or so), and hoped we'd be able to get all the way to the water. Nick had said the quicksand was bad towards the end, and so he had turned around. There was a nice slot coming in from the left LDC though, and we wanted to see if we could get to that.

An hour or two down the canyon those of us who had avoided water, could do so no longer:
Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-6857.jpg

The beaver dam.
Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-6887.jpg

There were a couple of these nice alcoves. This was the first one.
Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-6946.jpg

A couple more shots from within that same alcove.
Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-7271.jpg

Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-7294.jpg

Then we came to the Lake Powell Bathtub Rings.
Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-6997.jpg

Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-7015.jpg

Sweet details.
Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-7063.jpg

Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-7068.jpg

The second spectacular alcove has a great sitting-log in it.
Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-7075.jpg

Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-7087.jpg

This was where Nick had turned around, because of deep mud/quicksand. We found that if we stuck to the part of the streambed where the water was flowing the most, the silt kept it pretty hard. Following the canyon wall also helped, as the dirt was driest there.

We were eager to see if we could reach the slot coming in from the left a bit further. Turns out you can't get into it, as you are greeted with a high dryfall. Maybe in really high water?
Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-7111.jpg

For scale.
Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-7112.jpg

A couple bends later, and we were at the lake. We thought about going for a swim, but then remembered that people recommend pregnant women don't swim in Lake Powell, due to the pollution, and decided against it. Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-7119.jpg

Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-7128.jpg

At that point, we turned around. Here are some artsy shots I took on the way out.

This is the mud we had to contend with.
Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-7143.jpg

Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-7154.jpg

Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-7163.jpg

My friend built this on our way out.Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-7199.jpg

The light was better in these narrows on the way out.
Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-7211.jpg

Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-7218.jpg

Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-7225.jpg

Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-7256.jpg

This was the deep spot, where it got to your waist. Some people found it really slippery too.
Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-7321.jpg

Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-7338.jpg

Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-7371.jpg

Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-7460.jpg

We found some orchids in a hanging garden. I saw young ones without flower stalks yet along the streambed. They'll be out in a month or so. Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-7470.jpg

We camped out a second night in the same spot, in the alcove under the arch, and then headed out the next day.

There's some more art just upstream of the bend where the arch is.
Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-7501.jpg

Grand views.
Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-7524.jpg

And wildlife - a baby king snake.
Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-7601.jpg

In sight of the cars.
Escalante-Fiftymile-Nilauro-Markus-2012-05-24-7618.jpg

We figured we'd hit Spooky and Peek-A-Boo that day (Sunday of Memorial Weekend). We'd had Fiftymile Creek all to ourselves, and figured that would be a great way to top it off. No such luck. They had a volunteer there with a radio. Apparently there were 64 cars at the trailhead, and we would have had to park a mile from the trailhead, and walk in. For Peek-A-Boo and Spooky? None of us wanted to crawl over other hikers in the slot, so we opted to hit Upper Calf Creek Falls instead, but that is another story for another day.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Great photos. The baby king snake is a really cool find.

Wow! Now this is loaded with awesomeness! Love the king snake! I've never seen one before. So cool! That side canyon you guys made it to is now known as Mumbai Canyon. There is a fantastic description on ratagonia 's website of what is likely the first descent of it, but in higher water than what we had this year. Check it out here:

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/mumbai-canyon/

Glad you guys so thoroughly enjoyed Fiftymile. What an amazing canyon hidden under what would normally be Lake Foul. I can't really help but get a little infuriated thinking about what the rest of it loked like before it was sunk... :( Glad you got in in while the water was low though. :)

I love it!! Wonderful shots and great report.
And the baby king snake is really great, I've never seen one by myself, too.
And now you and Nick are responsible that I have to see this place by myself.
It seems to be a real gem in the desert

I love the shot of the baby king! beautiful.

Awesome TR! There's so much down there that I still haven't seen. We hit Spooky and Peek a Boo early on Sun on the same weekend and were car #3 there. The line going into the canyon was terrible just as we walked out from Brimstone to the car. So glad we missed that!

That's a great trip report with really cool photos! I love those alcoves!

I foolishly took my sedan down Hole in the Rock on Saturday night, and hit a boulder 22 miles down the road. It punctured my transmission pan and prevented further travel. I spent Sunday with my brother in Escalante figuring out how to retrieve the car and have it repaired, and then took a rented ATV down to Peek A Boo and Spooky on Monday. There were very few people there on Monday, so maybe the breakdown was a blessing in disguise, since we avoided the crowds on Sunday.

I spent Sunday with my brother in Escalante figuring out how to retrieve the car and have it repaired.

I think I saw you being towed out using a rope, early to mid afternoon on Sunday. That totally sucks, but I'm glad you had the place to yourself later.

Thanks for the great write-up of our trip! I wanted to add that you'd probably have been just fine swimming at that point. I think you're intersecting with the Escalante River there, not Lake Foul, and anyway, that's quite a ways upstream of where the lake really begins.

Awesome TR! Thanks for sharing the pics and memories. Of all we've done in Escalante we still need to do Fiftymile. Thanks for the inspiration.
Salud!