Ferron Box

Udink

Still right here.
I've long been aware of some rock art in Ferron Box (or just "The Box" along Ferron Creek according to the USGS topo map). However, I'd never taken the opportunity to explore the area despite how relatively close it is to home. Many years ago a friend, Alan, tipped me off to some other rock art in the area, and I finally got around to checking it all out on October 20th. I took both dogs with me and made the drive there in less than an hour. I used 4WD for the last little bit but only to take advantage of the low-range over some bumpy terrain. Before going to Ferron Box I stopped to see some petroglyphs in a couple of different places. In the first spot there was a small concentration of petroglyphs in an unlikely spot, and in the second area there were ground-level footprint petroglyphs (both human and animal) near some pithouses along the creek. There are supposed to be footprint petroglyphs all over the area but I only found a handful. Near the pithouses I found more broken pottery than I'd found in my entire life, including the first piece of painted/decorated Fremont pottery that I'd ever run across.

Petroglyphs on the way to Ferron Box
IMG_8149.JPG

IMG_8159.JPG

IMG_8162.JPG

Jeep and puppies waiting for me to return
IMG_8180.JPG

Hunter power plant
IMG_8182.JPG

Footprint petroglyphs at ground level
IMG_8191.JPG

Human and bear footprint petroglyphs
IMG_8202.JPG

Petroglyphs
IMG_8207.JPG

Fremont pithouse with a fence running over it
IMG_8229.JPG

Painted pottery shard (the only decorated piece I've ever found)
IMG_8236.JPG

Concretion
IMG_8243.JPG

I drove a bit further and parked above Ferron Box then hiked down to the creek. I didn't know specifically where any of the rock art was, but it's a small area and I didn't expect to have any difficulty finding it. I had no idea that I'd find so much. I had already spotted some of it from the rim of the canyon, but I found a lot more by hiking along the creek and scanning the cliffs. The dogs enjoyed frolicking through the creek while I hiked and took photos of the vast amount of pictographs, petroglyphs, and some art that was a mixture of both. I had to cross the creek twice and ended up getting my shoes wet one of the times.

Cliffs in Ferron Box
IMG_8259.JPG

Ferron Box pictographs
IMG_8262.JPG

Ferron Box pictograph and petroglyph
IMG_8271.JPG

Ferron Box pictographs
IMG_8275.JPG

Ferron Box pictographs and petroglyphs
IMG_8310.JPG

Ferron Box pictographs and petroglyphs
IMG_8312.JPG

Ferron Box petroglyphs
IMG_8333.JPG

Ferron Box pictographs (Wilson!)
IMG_8376.JPG

Ferron Box handprint pictograph
IMG_8384.JPG

Ferron Creek
IMG_8393.JPG

Ferron Box pictographs
IMG_8398.JPG

Ferron Box pictographs
IMG_8402.JPG

Torrey and Boulder in Ferron Creek
IMG_8417.JPG

Ferron Box
IMG_8433_stitch.JPG

With less than two hours of driving and five hours of exploring, I felt like I'd had a full day due to the huge amount of rock art I'd seen. I'm sure there's much more left to see in the area, however, so I'll plan another exploratory trip there this winter when the days are shorter and the creek is frozen making for easier crossings.

Full photo gallery:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Dennis.Udink/FerronBox

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Dennis, I don't think that is the same pit house as I visited a few years ago near "the box". Which means, there's one nearby that neither of us has seen yet :cool:. Some decent rock art and historic inscriptions near the one I visited, too.

- DAA

I noticed that earlier today when I re-read your trip report. I suspect the two are pretty close together--judging from your photo they may just be on opposite sides of the creek. The ones I found are pretty easily visible in Google Earth (which is how I found them). You also saw some different footprint petroglyphs than I did, though I heard there are more than 160 of them all over the area.

Nice... can't believe you haven't found much painted pottery. I've seen it all over, at least I used too, haven't been down south in quite a few years.

The main panel is amazing, hauntingly beautiful. Nice pics too.

I was also surprised about the lack of painted! Most of what you are finding I am guessing is Fremont. I dont know much about Fremont, did they not paint/decorate many of their pots?

I was also surprised about the lack of painted! Most of what you are finding I am guessing is Fremont. I dont know much about Fremont, did they not paint/decorate many of their pots?

I don't think they did very often. I've seen a fair amount of potsherds and it's all been plain gray until I saw this piece. I know more of the Cedar Mesa stuff is decorated, but 'round here it seems to be less so. There also seems to be fewer habitation structures around here, and the pithouses were a unique find for me.

I've never seen any painted in that area either. And, for that matter, compared to further south, darn little pottery period. But it's all been plain gray.

- DAA