Feedback on this Med Kit?

Hi All

Going to be doing 8 days in a remote area in Yellowstone in a month with my son. I typically only go 4-5 days without resupply and on the AT and Florida Trail with more ready access to help in an emergency. The Thorofare in Yellowstone is the most remote wilderness in the lower 48 so I want to be prepared to attend to injuries for longer than I normally would. We will be carrying an inReach Mini in the event of something catastrophic. Typically my ifak is centered around dealing with blisters etc. For this trip I've expanded my kit quite a bit. Check out my kit contents. Am I going overboard? Am I missing something?

1 x CAT Tourniquet
1 x Israeli Bandage
1 x Hemostatic Gauze
2 x Chest Seal
2 x 4-yd Gauze Roll
1 x Benadryl Cream
1 x Triple Antibiotic Cream
1 x Super Glue
1 x Trauma Shears
2 x Space Blankets
1 x Leukotape Roll
1 x Athletic Tape Roll
1 x Mini Swiss Army Knife
5 x 4x3 Moleskin Pads
6 x 2x3 Nonstick Gauze Pads
4 x Large Bandaids
1 x Sharpie
1 x Needle Decompression Kit

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I am (civilian classes) trained in using everything in the kit + CPR/BLS etc.

I'm very far from being knowledgeable about wilderness first aid, but a common thing that I see missing from your list is OTC painkillers. I'll always take some aspirin, acetaminophen, and ibuprofen.

Otherwise, that looks pretty comprehensive.

I'm very far from being knowledgeable about wilderness first aid, but a common thing that I see missing from your list is OTC painkillers. I'll always take some aspirin, acetaminophen, and ibuprofen.

Especially if you’re new to high altitudes.

Bag the shears, sharpie, chest seal and decompression kit. Add a couple 4x4s and more 1in Band-Aids and ibuprofens.
Moleskin is old school...use cooltape or second skin and hypafix tape.........
Lol....If I took everything to cover everything possible I'd have a 25 lb med pack.... Already have to carry that on my wildland fire job

Yep forgot to add that to the list. I have Rx strength Ibuprofen, ZPack and (forgot the name) Rx med for altitude sickness. In addition to OTC aspirin, immodium, benadryl and a few others.

Thanks for the feedback!

Bag the shears, sharpie, chest seal and decompression kit. Add a couple 4x4s and more 1in Band-Aids and ibuprofens.
Moleskin is old school...use cooltape or second skin and hypafix tape.........
Lol....If I took everything to cover everything possible I'd have a 25 lb med pack.... Already have to carry that on my wildland fire job

Fair enough. Will do. I did feel like I was packing a bit much. I hadn't weighed my ifak yet but I could already tell it was heavier than I would like it to be. Thank you for your feedback!

Reactions: Bob
looks like the medical kit I had out in the field each day when I worked as a lava tour guide in Hawai'i.
I had to use a lot so I can tell you that the Israeli bandages are awesome. Saved a ladies life out there.

I still carry my tactical first aid field kit for me which includes pretty much the same as your kit. Luckily I did not have to use it yet.
I removed most of the bandaids of my kit as they never stick. Instead I use pads and self-adhesive bandage or a pad and these tubular net bandages.

Clotting powder is also pretty cool, used it a few times in Hawai'i myself for some nasty cuts from lava rocks.

Leukotape is awesome and works (and you don’t need an entire roll...just roll a couple feet onto a straw or section of a ball point pen)...why also include moleskin?

Overall seems a bit overkill imo. I usually just roll with some leukotape, a couple bandaids, ibuprofen+Benadryl, tube of superglue, some tyvek tape that doubles for gear repair, and a mini Swiss Army knife (mainly for the tweezers and scissors). You’ll have your inreach and despite it being a relatively remote area will be still be in an area used to dealing with outdoor injuries in case of a more serious emergency.

looks like the medical kit I had out in the field each day when I worked as a lava tour guide in Hawai'i.
I had to use a lot so I can tell you that the Israeli bandages are awesome. Saved a ladies life out there.

I still carry my tactical first aid field kit for me which includes pretty much the same as your kit. Luckily I did not have to use it yet.
I removed most of the bandaids of my kit as they never stick. Instead I use pads and self-adhesive bandage or a pad and these tubular net bandages.

Clotting powder is also pretty cool, used it a few times in Hawai'i myself for some nasty cuts from lava rocks.
Don't use the clotting powder.... It is extremely hard to get out of the wound...must be scrubbed out. Get the quick lot dressing...works as well but doesn't make a mess of the wound.
If you have trouble with Band-Aids sticking...tincture of benzoine makes them stick...also toughens skin to prevent blisters

Don't use the clotting powder.... It is extremely hard to get out of the wound...must be scrubbed out. Get the quick lot dressing...works as well but doesn't make a mess of the wound.
If you have trouble with Band-Aids sticking...tincture of benzoine makes them stick...also toughens skin to prevent blisters

lol, the stuff fell off after a few days and then all was good.
I just sweat too much, so nothing sticks on my skin. Not even duct tape.
Not sure how you can do anything against that but moving to a place where it doesn't feel like hell with 100+F in summer :)

Over the decades, I've whittled my first aid kit down to one small plastic nalgene bottle (1 oz) with ibuprofen, a needle and dental floss in it. I also have duct tape wrapped around one of my hiking poles. When I first started out 31 years ago, I carried a complete backpacking first aid kit, but after years of carrying it around without ever using it on my trips, I decided to start taking less and eventually wound up carrying what I mentioned above.

The Thorofare is a special place. I'm sure you and your son will have a great time. If you have time, as you are heading north, and before you reach the turnoff for campsite 6Y6, the trail will come close to the Yellowstone River. Hop off the trail at this point and follow the river to the southwest for a half mile up to a mile, and then turn around and head back to the trail. This side excursion will give you the best sense of wilderness in the Thorofare. You should be able to see grizzly, wolf and elk tracks along the river as you go. Fabulous place! Have a great time and I'll be looking forward to your trip report.

Over the decades, I've whittled my first aid kit down to one small plastic nalgene bottle (1 oz) with ibuprofen, a needle and dental floss in it. I also have duct tape wrapped around one of my hiking poles. When I first started out 31 years ago, I carried a complete backpacking first aid kit, but after years of carrying it around without ever using it on my trips, I decided to start taking less and eventually wound up carrying what I mentioned above.

The Thorofare is a special place. I'm sure you and your son will have a great time. If you have time, as you are heading north, and before you reach the turnoff for campsite 6Y6, the trail will come close to the Yellowstone River. Hop off the trail at this point and follow the river to the southwest for a half mile up to a mile, and then turn around and head back to the trail. This side excursion will give you the best sense of wilderness in the Thorofare. You should be able to see grizzly, wolf and elk tracks along the river as you go. Fabulous place! Have a great time and I'll be looking forward to your trip report.

My regular (FT/AT) ifak is fairly minimal...not as minimal as yours but much less than what I posted above; centered around blisters. I guess I was getting caught up in the remoteness of the Thorofare. I'm definitely going to follow the advice of the folks here and remove a bunch of stuff.

Thanks for the tip on the turnoff before 6Y6; I am going to mark that on my map. That sense of remote wilderness is what led me to select this route for our trip. I'm so pumped up; I don't know how I'm going to stand waiting another 30 days to head out there. A thorough trip report will surely follow.

Not sure how you can do anything against that but moving to a place where it doesn't feel like hell with 100+F in summer :)
Try hypafix tape... Stays on in shower. I use it over blisters on firefighters feet .. and they get pretty sweatty...

Try hypafix tape... Stays on in shower. I use it over blisters on firefighters feet .. and they get pretty sweatty...

@Bob Is Hypafix the same thing as Cover-Roll tape? If so I have a roll of that too and was thinking of leaving it out because I assumed it was "less grippy" than leukotape or athletic tape.

Reactions: Bob
@Bob Is Hypafix the same thing as Cover-Roll tape? If so I have a roll of that too and was thinking of leaving it out because I assumed it was "less grippy" than leukotape or athletic tape.
Don't know.... It is labeled hypafix.. have to Google it. Don't know what leukotaoe is either, never seen it.. hypafix sticks very well

Isn't all ibuprofen Rx strength if you take enough? ;)
Can take 4.... Wouldn't do much more than that.... Cause problems with too much...as with anything

Key is prevention not reaction

Leukotape is my go to for blister prevention. There is always some minor slip/hot spot. Simply tape a known area like the back of the heal and it lasts for days. I carry blister bandages as well.

Vitamin I does wonders.