Fall Gear Deals

Nick

-
I just got an REI thing in the mail for Fall Clearance. Am I the only one who still thinks it's summer? Anyway, it did bring to mind that this is the best time of year to score deals on backpacking gear so I thought I'd start a thread. Some of my best gear has been acquired between August and October because I wouldn't have never bought it for full price! If anyone sees any really sweet deals on stuff, or if you're looking for a sweet deal on something in particular - post it here.

Thumbing through the REI ad, two things popped out at me - Staring on August 23rd, they're selling the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 for $100 off at $299 and Osprey Atmos 50's for $50 off at $149. Probably sticks out to me because I use both of those items a ton and love them, probably two of my favorite pieces of gear. I'm hoping to find some deals on boots - I've loved the Vasque Screes for years but the latest redesign has me rethinking them after walking 50 miles last week with a gigantic blister. I'm also pretty stoked on getting a gravity filter after spending a week on the trail with @slc_dan and his platypus. And maybe even a jetboil type stove since @Ndheiner stomped my trusty pocket rocket into the mud this summer. Oh.. and a Kayak. I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a Pungo 140 but I see no deals in sight. :( What are you guys on the hunt for?

A backpack that fits me like a glove, light, 45L, some type of frame, and can hold a bear canister. I can't find the Exos anywhere in Md. The closest one is in N. Virginia requiring bike/train transport. BUT I am not going to buy a pack I haven't tried on. Amazing how many packs just don't feel right.

@Aldaron: PM sent on a packraft

A new pack. My Gregory weighs almost 7 lbs! Looking at a Golite Quest 65L that'll shave off nearly 3 lbs! I would have bought it already, but it's out of stock...

Well, I am getting back into things, so I need almost everything, but the next item I am looking for is water purifier. I have heard a lot of bad and complaints. So I need a deal on something cheap and nice, is gravity the way to go?

is gravity the way to go?

Gravity is awesome but I think the risk of dropping or freezing is legitimate as they label them heavily to avoid that. They are just glass tubes afterall. After my recent week in the winds I plan to add one to my arsenal but I think the other best filters on the market are the Steripen Adventurer Opti and the First Needs XLE. I use the pen when clear water is probable and the First Needs when I'm expecting nasty, silty stuff (the desert). The gravity will be coming with me on fair weather trips and might become my go-to but I'm still concerned about the freeze/drop factor.

Gravity is awesome but I think the risk of dropping or freezing is legitimate as they label them heavily to avoid that. They are just glass tubes afterall. After my recent week in the winds I plan to add one to my arsenal but I think the other best filters on the market are the Steripen Adventurer Opti and the First Needs XLE. I use the pen when clear water is probable and the First Needs when I'm expecting nasty, silty stuff (the desert). The gravity will be coming with me on fair weather trips and might become my go-to but I'm still concerned about the freeze/drop factor.

I have seen some people that have made their own set ups and being a handy guy, I am wondering about just buying the filter, not the whole kit and using hydration pack bladders, is this even a good possibility?

Tried to post this earlier, was distracted.
....OK, so I lied. I just posted that I really wanted to try on an Osprey Exos 46 before I bought one. I know I have a medium torso but still wanted to put it on and test it out. Well Trekt Outdoors(new to me) had one on sale today for $50.00 off and free shipping, $125 and no tax. They say easy to return, I pay shipping. So I went for it. If It sucks I am only out the return postage ~$10.00. We'll see how it fits.
I just checked online so I could post my deal to you folks but the Exos was no longer offered at that price. I bought mine 6 hours ago. Many of the Osprey packs are still 30% off though. However the end of sale date is yesterday but the deals seem like they are still good. They just emailed me the Osprey 'deals'. Tried to shorten the url but it wouldn't let me, sorry. Best I could do. Hope it works for you. If not I can forward you the email.
Aether 70 $195,
http://www.trekt.com/4613-Osprey-Ae...n+Select+Osprey+Items&utm_campaign=Osprey+30%
Atmos 65 for $167.
http://www.trekt.com/3627-Osprey-At...n+Select+Osprey+Items&utm_campaign=Osprey+30%

Well, I am getting back into things, so I need almost everything, but the next item I am looking for is water purifier. I have heard a lot of bad and complaints. So I need a deal on something cheap and nice, is gravity the way to go?

Sawyer Point One Squeeze looks like the way to go. Very light, very small, cheap and easy. Freezing is a problem, just sleep with it or keep it close to your body during cold hikes. I just looked them over at REI. Couldn't believe their size and weight. I'm sold.

I just got an REI thing in the mail for Fall Clearance. Am I the only one who still thinks it's summer?

What the hell are you talking about? Of course it is still summer. I refuse to discuss autumn :disagree:

In fact I refuse to read the rest of this thread after this opening.
Except for the four trips this fall and winter in planning of course....

I'm back to
teaching. Summer is over.
Yeah school started so summer is over. Sure I'll get outside every moment I can but definitely not as much.

I have seen some people that have made their own set ups and being a handy guy, I am wondering about just buying the filter, not the whole kit and using hydration pack bladders, is this even a good possibility?
Eric,
I did just what you are suggesting. I bought just the platypus inline filter and used an old bladder for the in flow and bought 33 cents worth of hose from the hardware store for the out flow. This ended up at about half the price of the whole kit.
I just hiked Salt Creek with my boys and filtered a boatload of water with it. Worked great and was so much faster than my MSR hand pump. No one got sick and we filtered some strange looking water.
Jack

Eric,
I did just what you are suggesting. I bought just the platypus inline filter and used an old bladder for the in flow and bought 33 cents worth of hose from the hardware store for the out flow. This ended up at about half the price of the whole kit.
I just hiked Salt Creek with my boys and filtered a boatload of water with it. Worked great and was so much faster than my MSR hand pump. No one got sick and we filtered some strange looking water.
Jack

Thanks Jack, this is good to hear! I think I am going to do this, as well as the Sawyer squeeze system, I just talked with my brother and found out that he used the squeeze bottle and loved it. I think, pending the trip and lengh of it, the squeeze bottle will be great for quick refills while on the move, and then at camp gravity filter a larger quantity.

Thanks Jack, this is good to hear! I think I am going to do this, as well as the Sawyer squeeze system, I just talked with my brother and found out that he used the squeeze bottle and loved it. I think, pending the trip and lengh of it, the squeeze bottle will be great for quick refills while on the move, and then at camp gravity filter a larger quantity.

Eric: The Sawyer does this as well. They have a kit that has hoses and inline filters as well as the squeeze.
http://www.highwaterfilters.com/SP181-Sawyer-All-in-One-Water-Filter-Kit-p/sp181.htm